Pharmacoeconomics Fellowships

Started by spinin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spinin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've become interested in pharmacoeconomics and health outcomes. Is there anyone out there that has done any pharmacoeconomics fellowships that could share anything about them? How to get in? What do they look for in candidates? What to expect? Jobs after? I am more interested in academia and government jobs rather than industry. Are there any other interesting areas where one could work after a pharmacoeconomics fellowship?
 
Global health, consulting, administration, CMS, NIH, WHO, cost-benefit analysis, research, quality improvement, health disparities, stuff like that.

Lots of pharma studies are now incorporating PROs. So it's kind of in high demand, especially with all the meaningful use standards, ACA, etc. Lots of stats...

There are some fellowships out there but pretty competitive. You'll be competing with PhDs, MHAs, dual degree (MD/PhD, PharmD/PhD, etc.).

Have you taken any electives on this topic? What about it do you like?

Your post history suggests an interest in psych.
 
I've become interested in pharmacoeconomics and health outcomes. Is there anyone out there that has done any pharmacoeconomics fellowships that could share anything about them? How to get in? What do they look for in candidates? What to expect? Jobs after? I am more interested in academia and government jobs rather than industry. Are there any other interesting areas where one could work after a pharmacoeconomics fellowship?
If that's what you're interested in, you should do a residency in managed care. This residency is awesome for the experience that you will get and the high level contacts you will make.

http://pec.ha.osd.mil/Residency/residency.php?submenuheader=0
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. I am actually currently out of school. I withdrew from the PharmD program after 2 years in good standing with the dean telling me I could come back if I wanted to. I decided that psychology is not for me so I'm currently on a leave of absence from school for a year and looking for a job that I can get for now with my Chem degree.

I honestly don't know what I want to do. I am at a crossroads in my life both personally and professionally and I have no direction or any inkling toward a direction. I left pharmacy school because I realized that I didn't want to be a "pharmacist." After looking into career tests and exploring further and still keeping the pharmacy option open, I started to do a little research. I came upon some pharmacoeconomics fellowships and found them interesting. I thought to myself that this was something I could do. I came to realize that I am more of an analytical person and the things that were described seemed right up my alley. I don't know that much about it yet as I just started exploring. It just seemed interesting.
 
Thanks. I am actually currently out of school. I withdrew from the PharmD program after 2 years in good standing with the dean telling me I could come back if I wanted to. I decided that psychology is not for me so I'm currently on a leave of absence from school for a year and looking for a job that I can get for now with my Chem degree.

I honestly don't know what I want to do. I am at a crossroads in my life both personally and professionally and I have no direction or any inkling toward a direction. I left pharmacy school because I realized that I didn't want to be a "pharmacist." After looking into career tests and exploring further and still keeping the pharmacy option open, I started to do a little research. I came upon some pharmacoeconomics fellowships and found them interesting. I thought to myself that this was something I could do. I came to realize that I am more of an analytical person and the things that were described seemed right up my alley. I don't know that much about it yet as I just started exploring. It just seemed interesting.

I had a similar experience. I'm a third year. This year I really started questioning my desire to be a pharmacist. I'm also a PhD student in pharmaceutical economics, policy, and outcomes. Today I talked to a faculty member about my little career meltdown and, at this point, I'm still undecided BUT, I've also realized how valuable the clinical foundation is when measuring outcomes. It's been a strength I brought to my work in the PhD program. Similarly, the research/data analysis skills I'm gaining in the PhD program well be useful when determining optimal, cost effective therapy.

It's really interesting and FUN.
 
I've become interested in pharmacoeconomics and health outcomes. Is there anyone out there that has done any pharmacoeconomics fellowships that could share anything about them? How to get in? What do they look for in candidates? What to expect? Jobs after? I am more interested in academia and government jobs rather than industry. Are there any other interesting areas where one could work after a pharmacoeconomics fellowship?

http://www.ispor.org/education/fellowships_directory.asp

I am getting a PhD in pharm outcoms but my focus is in health economics/pharmacoeconomics. Job wise, you are limited to pharma because PE modelling in this country isn't valued by policy makers. Academia- not much funding for doing pharmacoecon studies.
 
If that's what you're interested in, you should do a residency in managed care. This residency is awesome for the experience that you will get and the high level contacts you will make.

http://pec.ha.osd.mil/Residency/residency.php?submenuheader=0

I don't think thats what the OP is looking for... I am not aware of any residencies that train you in pharmacoeconomic modelling. Health economics and managed care don't jive well... applied pharmacoeconomics maybe, not pharmacoeconomic modelling.