Pharmacogenomics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmcaule

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the future, do you think it will be the pharmacists using pharmacogenomic tests to look for relevant genes or do you think it will be physicians?

Members don't see this ad.

In the future, do you think it will be the pharmacists using pharmacogenomic tests to look for relevant genes or do you think it will be physicians?

I would say physicians almost certainly, but before we get to the point where pharmacogenetic testing is relevant, you have to know what genes you are looking for. The Director of the Center for Pharmacogenomics at my institution is a Pharmacist.

http://www.cop.ufl.edu/departments/PP/johnson/

There are a great deal of physician scientists and traditional researchers paving the way for Pharmacogenomics as well without a doubt.

How many clinical tests do pharmacists do currently? Not that many, as far as i know.

In our microlab we did a little gene mapping to see if a person has genes coding for specific traits. kinda cool. not something i would want to do every day.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would say both. Physicians could use it as a diagnostic tool and pharmacists could use it for better patient therapeutics.

Case in point: Many people report that some allergy medications don't work for them and others do. Pharmacogenomics may unlock some answers to questions that we aren't able to answer yet.

At my medical center, all the clinicians have access to the entire patient record. So if there is a genetics section of the program one day, I could see patient genotype being part of the clinical review for a staff pharmacist to ensure the appropriateness of the medication and dose before approving the order. Same for a clinical pharmacist who could take genetic information into account when monitoring patients and could use it to make decisions about drug therapy.