Pharmacology Approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schon007

Indebted Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At

Members don't see this ad.

With the ANS drugs, I made sure to memorize all of the autonomic receptors, their effects, and which drugs acted on them. From that I was able to figure what effects the drugs had on the body, like a side effect of othostatic hypotension on alpha-1 receptor blockers like prazosin. But now that we are studying the diuretics and cardiovascular drugs, this method isn't quite as effective. But as long as you know everything about the prototype drug of each class and then compare others in the class to the prototype, learning the drugs should be easier.

Here is the deal

Almost every drug is going to cause Nausea, vomiting diarrhea, With Adverse affects just memorize the ones unique to particular drugs. (i.e. hydralazine causes SLE like effects in slow acetylators.) Many drugs have similar roots, prefexes or suffixes, mermorizing those can help to group drugs, and remember mechanism of action.

Pharm is similar to anatomy in that you have to memorize everything and it is a lot of information. As a 2nd year you don't get the option of picking the drugs you will use with a patient you basically have to know it all so good luck ,:) we all know what you are going through

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, in pharm, the toxicities are rarely related to the therapeutic MOA.

Sit down and memorize it.

Unfortunately, even after giving pharm study advice, I don't think I did very well on the cardiovascular pharm final I took this morning. It's all of those little details involving side effects and pharmacokinetics.....argh!