Pharmacology Review for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleerkalut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I know there have been plenty of threads out there, but I wanted to get an updated feel from people since Step I is ever-evolving (or so I'm told). I want to review pharmacology as I do not have a very strong base in it, but I don't know what resource is good to choose.

I pre-ordered the 2011 Kaplan Pharmacology Flash Cards by Fischer but I took a look at a couple of my friends and they don't seem that helpful for Step 1 because they don't have the Mechanism of Action on them (MOA) but rather have the clinical indications (seem better for Step 2 & 3 for this), but I wanted your guys opinions (btw I chose this because it was at the top of the list at the back of First Aid 2011 for Pharmacology Review).

What flash cards are good to get and what pharm review book (if any) is good?

P.S. I also looked at Brenner's Pharm Cards but they weren't broken down by organ system so I didn't think they would be helpful. Please discuss

Members don't see this ad.

I pre-ordered the 2011 Kaplan Pharmacology Flash Cards by Fischer but I took a look at a couple of my friends and they don't seem that helpful for Step 1 because they don't have the Mechanism of Action on them (MOA)

I saw that some people said this in the amazon reviews as well, but I dont really get it because when I used the "look inside" function I felt that the cards did have MOA explanations. What do you feel is missing?
I'm just curious since I'm really weak in pharm and have to figure out a way to learn this stuff so I'm hoping these cards might work for me.

I wish I had an answer but I'm in the same boat as well. I don't have a good foundation in pharm and I'd like to find a decent review book that isn't 500 pages. I hate flash cards though :(

I hear a lot that First Aid is enough for Step 1, but I'll be taking the pharm shelf soon and I'll have 4 solid days to study for it. It would be nice to have a book that I could use for both purposes.

I've heard repeatedly that the pharm in first aid is really about all you need. If I were to do it, I'd make my own notecards from those and then tag on little details that help you remember. If there are ones you have trouble with, maybe read over katzung review, lippincotts, pharm recall..whatever you prefer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make an excel spreadsheet of all the drugs in FA. Do UWorld and add extra details. That is ALL you need.

For indepth review, pharmcards by lippincott. They are great and cover everything. For rapid repiew, brenner or pharmneumonics. The latter is kind of like MMRS format.

I recently ordered Brenner flashcards. My friends said that after looking at all the reviews they felt those seemed best for step 1 purposes. Mine haven't come in yet, so I can't tell you much more about them though.

For indepth review, pharmcards by lippincott. They are great and cover everything. For rapid repiew, brenner or pharmneumonics. The latter is kind of like MMRS format.

whenever i see someoen mention pharmneumonics i feel the need to say that those were the worst flashcards ive ever seen....the mnemonics were completely useles... you can't make a mnemonic for every drug, it just doesnt work, but for some reason they felt the need to do so. So they would just take the name of the drug and formulate a random sentence and bold random letters so that it spelled the name of the drug...:confused: Thats not a mneumonic. I returned them and got lippincotts, which are very well done.

whenever i see someoen mention pharmneumonics i feel the need to say that those were the worst flashcards ive ever seen....the mnemonics were completely useles... you can't make a mnemonic for every drug, it just doesnt work, but for some reason they felt the need to do so. So they would just take the name of the drug and formulate a random sentence and bold random letters so that it spelled the name of the drug...:confused: Thats not a mneumonic. I returned them and got lippincotts, which are very well done.

Can you please post a link to the Lippincott cards on Amazon because all I can find are the 1995 version? TIA :)

Make an excel spreadsheet of all the drugs in FA. Do UWorld and add extra details. That is ALL you need.

Can you please post the Excel sheet that you made? I am VERY VERY SLOW at this type of thing (which is why I have NEVER made review sheets). Thanks in advance :)

Hi Everyone,

What flash cards are good to get and what pharm review book (if any) is good?

P.S. I also looked at Brenner's Pharm Cards but they weren't broken down by organ system so I didn't think they would be helpful. Please discuss

The Brenner Pharm Cards are organized based on organ system. They have a summary card for each organ system too.

i would be very very grateful for that excel spreadsheet...

I don't have an excel sheet, but here's flashcards on pretty much every drug in FA by system. You can just copy and past them into a word or excel file.

http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashcards/list/1298817

Here are some more helpful links:

http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashcards/list/485751
http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashcards/list/347594
http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashcards/list/1608091