pharmacy a females field????

Started by shawnrx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shawnrx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my husband is a dermatologist and i am graduatin in less than 5 months with my pharmd. i wanted to know if any males here feel like they are in a female professions job. my husband and his colleagues feel like pharmacist are usually females, and i have work with all females , but there is about 30-60 males in my class, i always wonder if they feel they chose a feminie field, similar to nursing. any regrets??? please only serious replies and no insecure statements. i want to know what you all think

thanks in advance

caverject please no one liners
 
my husband is a dermatologist and i am graduatin in less than 5 months with my pharmd. i wanted to know if any males here feel like they are in a female professions job. my husband and his colleagues feel like pharmacist are usually females, and i have work with all females , but there is about 30-60 males in my class, i always wonder if they feel they chose a feminie field, similar to nursing. any regrets??? please only serious replies and no insecure statements. i want to know what you all think

thanks in advance

caverject please no one liners

Hey, there's an idea! Dictate who may reply, and what sort of reply they may give. What a creative way to get the answers you want to get, reality be damned.

What's the significance of 30-60 males in a class? Without any comparison or percentage, your numbers (among other points) are meaningless. Are you saying 30-60 males in a class of 100? If so, my first question would be "Why the range? Are there 30 people whose gender is indeterminate?" My next question would be "How large is the entire class?" If you're talking 30-60 out of 500, that's not nearly as significant as 30-60 out of 200, which then takes me back to the first question: why the range? Are you unable to determine if 30 if those people are male or female?

Tell ya what: if this is truly what you "always wonder," I'd be concerned that you have nothing better to think about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i knew i couldn't post this without men getting defensive UGH!!!!!! this is a difficult group lol
 
i wanted to know if any males here feel like they are in a female professions job. my husband and his colleagues feel like pharmacist are usually females, and i have work with all females , but there is about 30-60 males in my class.....

So, are you saying these 30-60 may have mistakenly enrolled in Pharmacy classes? It may or may not be a "female professions job" (whatever the **** that means, English please), but it will always be a man's world. Now go and bake me something lady......
 
can someone please tell me what a troll is, i think man are choosing pharmacy because jobs like CPA's make no money, and they are not smart enough for med school.. i am a female, btw, and also this site is so hostile and insecure its disturbing. also i make the best pakistani cuisnies, my husband is very please with my dishes THANK you lol
also what is a troll, is that to say i am not a human being ?
 
can someone please tell me what a troll is, i think man are choosing pharmacy because jobs like CPA's make no money, and they are not smart enough for med school.. i am a female, btw, and also this site is so hostile and insecure its disturbing. also i make the best pakistani cuisnies, my husband is very please with my dishes THANK you lol
also what is a troll, is that to say i am not a human being ?
Maybe people don't enjoy you insulting their profession? Maybe they don't like your pushiness? Maybe because you always come up with troll-ish subjects?
 
can someone please tell me what a troll is, i think man are choosing pharmacy because jobs like CPA's make no money, and they are not smart enough for med school.. i am a female, btw, and also this site is so hostile and insecure its disturbing. also i make the best pakistani cuisnies, my husband is very please with my dishes THANK you lol
also what is a troll, is that to say i am not a human being ?

Better cuisines than Babu Bhatt?

Dermatologists are not even really doctors, duh....
 
you r right dermatologist are not real doctors because the real doctors are uncall and work 80 hours a week, my hubby works like 40 never on call and brings in over 300,000 . you def know what you r talking about. a lot of people mistake him for a real doc just cause he gots an md. 😀
 
you r a man , get a mans job, and stop sending me racist comments privately say them here, so everyone can hear them you insecure sad pathetic boy
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oh wait you dont even have a job, lol you r still a student probably in you late 20's , the insecurities are shining through .
 
oh wait you dont even have a job, lol you r still a student probably in you late 20's , the insecurities are shining through .
 
i am becoming so annoying why are you rushing to read what the next thing i write is, i post it and one sec later you read it lol.. seriously move on to another topic then you know what this one is about 🙂 😀
 
i am becoming so annoying why are you rushing to read what the next thing i write is, i post it and one sec later you read it lol.. seriously move on to another topic then,👍you know what this one is about 🙂 😀
 
my husband is a dermatologist and i am graduatin in less than 5 months with my pharmd.

caverject please no one liners

Aaaahhhhh ha ha ha ha ha. This dude already knows caverject's posting style. What's next? "pleese WvU, no post in returnn wit meny bad words and weerd simbals"

Thanks for letting us know once more that your husband is a dermatologist and your gradumication is in les dan 5 month away.

i knew i couldn't post this without men getting defensive UGH!!!!!! this is a difficult group lol

You slipped up here and actually wrote like you're a native English speaker. Take some more time to practice speaking like it's your second language.

this site is so hostile and insecure its disturbing.

Then why do you keep coming back?
 
i am becoming so annoying why are you rushing to read what the next thing i write is, i post it and one sec later you read it lol.. seriously move on to another topic then you know what this one is about 🙂 😀

it's called...keeping the page open and refreshing it once in a while. i do that for most threads i post in.
 
i came here when i was 16, what does that mean english is my first?? uh no sweetie, stop analayzing everything and move on from this post, stop getting worked up.
 
you r not refreshing once in awhile, and i believe that last comment put you in your place, put a fork in ya your DONE 🙁
 
i swear you r going to think i am lying but that is the exact anwser i would expect from someone who felt like a loser and had nothing else to say, its okay ill back down you can't handle it, please stop replying i feel like i mustg keep anwsering you and i am getting sleepy. thanks
 
How about this Shawna?

I'm a woman. I chose pharmacy not because it's a feminine field or because I'm too weak or stupid to be a doctor. I chose pharmacy because:

a) It fits my personality - I love to interact with people and I'm a little OCD. I actually don't think that retail is always a nightmare - I can let a LOT of things slide off my back.

b) Pharmacy is flexible. If I want to, I'll be able to work part-time when I graduate to take care of the baby that I'll be having this July. Or I can do a residency and specialize in something. Or I could teach. The possibilities are huge.

c) Pharmacy is a well-paying career. I won't make $300,000 a year, but I also don't have to put up with all of the crap (even the crap that your holy Dr. Husband puts up with). I'll also be done with my education much sooner than a doctor will be.

I may be in my late 20's - but you know what, I am insanely secure in my career choice. Just because someone gets on a career track slightly later in life doesn't make them a bad person. I have had more experiences, educational, social, and just life-affirming in general, than you will have ever had - just because I chose to explore life a little before settling down.

Plus, I know it's a cultural thing, but it's really annoying that you're so damn reverential to your husband. I love my husband and I respect him, but he's not my personal god or trophy. My view of him is not determined by how much money he makes or what the status of his career is. I'm also a good cook, but I don't let that determine my self worth.

In short, Shawna, I know that this is mean, or maybe even rude, but get over yourself. Pharmacists aren't going to disappear tomorrow. Don't worry yourself about the job choices/career tracks of people that you work with, ESPECIALLY if you think that they are "too weak" for a certain job. And don't tell other people how to post. I know that you've been a member of this board for less than a month, so you probbaly don't know people's posting styles. C-ject is a smartass, but he is usually right. WVU is off the wall sometimes but he's frickin smart, etc, etc.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Feel free to completely ignore this post - you don't have to respond to everything everyone says. THIS IS JUST THE INTERNET.
 
that was a great post, i agree with almost everything you said, thanks for taking the time to respond. I wish you all the best in your pharmacy career


thanks for ackwnowledging the cultural differences, because i do believe they are VERY different. i do worship my husband, and i think thats a forgein concepts for americans.

shawna
 
The lines at the restroom are a lot shorter between classes in the men's room. That is why I chose pharmacy school!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can someone please tell me what a troll is, i think man are choosing pharmacy because jobs like CPA's make no money, and they are not smart enough for med school.. i am a female, btw, and also this site is so hostile and insecure its disturbing. also i make the best pakistani cuisnies, my husband is very please with my dishes THANK you lol
also what is a troll, is that to say i am not a human being ?

That's all I need to read to see you are a troll.

And I'm guessing you are a MD/DO and therefore why are you asking us if we think you are a human being? You consider yourself a god and why do you need the reassurance from us little mortals?

You (and other trolls on here) really don't get why many people go to pharmacy school do you?
Has nothing to do with not being smart enough, and btw, don't frickin' kid yourself and consider being a doc as a noble profession. You act like you are or your imaginary husband is noble, let's keep it real, would most docs put up with the sh1T that they have to put up with if they made "only" 50 to 70K a year?

Goodbye.....
 
can someone please tell me what a troll is, i think man are choosing pharmacy because jobs like CPA's make no money, and they are not smart enough for med school.. i am a female, btw, and also this site is so hostile and insecure its disturbing. also i make the best pakistani cuisnies, my husband is very please with my dishes THANK you lol
also what is a troll, is that to say i am not a human being ?

I think that was a funny comment, now this is just my opinion from my ow personal experience.

I live in Tn and I went to my local Pharm/Med school and spoke with a few ppl the Dean, Associate Dean etc. and learned that we have at my university one of the hardest biochemitry teachers in the state. I have spoke with ppl that origanlly wanted to got pharm school, but could not pass Biochem I and eventually gave up and went to med school.

Secondly there are twice as many prereqs for pharmacy school vs med school. If half the ppl I know thats trying to get into med school had to take biochem they would not make it, last semester in biochem only 60 ppl passed out of 190. I tutor at my university and alot of ppl that apply for med school major in biology, most of these ppl always have such a problem with chemistry, and honestly if they had to major in chemistry in order to get into med school they would not even had attempted to get to med school. Lastly I spoke with my best friend's boyfriend who is a 3rd yr med student and he himself admitted that both pharm school, and the prereqs needed to get in are a bit harder than that of med school ( I know thats 1 persod opinion but I agree).

So personally so far from what I have experienced my path to pharm school is a bit more difficult. I truley feel that If my goal was med school I could have been in already.

By the way my major is both Biochemistry and Biology, and degree wise, before making it to professional school I would be better able to diagnose a patient then someone majoring only in Biology. Majoring in Biochem I have learn so many of the metabolic pathways and other things about the body, also the Biochme book that we use in undergrad is the same book thats some med schools use.
 
well here goes.
I'm a guy.
I graduated High School top ten percent of my class with both the Math Club seal and National Honor society seal on my diploma.
I had no idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

So, I enlisted in the Marine Corps.

5 years and 90 days later I became a civilian again and decided that I wanted to do something professional.
Most of the Hands on fields like plumbing, mechanics and welding, are just plain boring. I always liked medicine, going back to my boy scouts days.

Physical Therapy no long pays well, becoming a DO or MD would take to long, so PharmD sounded best, plus I've always liked the idea of Pharmacy.
I'll be 31 when I graduate school in 2012.

What does gender have to do with it?
At first Absolutely nothing, however I think that it's easier for a guy to get into Pharmacy school because yes, we are the minority, and there is the stupid system of forced diversity in the United States.
 
Here and now in 21st century Western culture, we've pretty much abandoned the idea of dividing work between genders. It has even been argued by nurses that the entry of so many men into the profession has increased wages for everyone and helped narrow the income gap between genders.

Furthermore, it's true that I am one of the 40% of the males in my class. I've never yet encountered someone so backward as to say that emasculates me in any way. Maybe conversations in undeveloped countries or highschool corridors move in that direction - but usually not here in the West and most certainly not amongst adults.
 
The drastic change in enrollment has only occurred recently. Look up stats from ten years ago, most classes were 60%+ men, and 20 years ago it was 75%+.
 
Oh, and while the troll is on HIS high horse and looking down on us....

I guess he didn't realize that he is going into a profession that is becoming more and more of a "feminine" profession..........


http://www.mommd.com/changingfacehealthcare.shtml

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/heal...ctors_their_ranks_growing_transform_medicine/

by the way shawnrx, please note the second article near the bottom of the first page.........

More female dermatology residents than males..........

Does you (or your imaginary husband) feel insecure about going into what is becoming a feminine profession?

Just asking your thoughts now........
 
I can no longer engage in debate with people who think i am a troll, and feel better saying i am imaginary and such and can't stand that i have a husband who is a doctor.



i have read a lot of okgirls post and nerve123 and a few others and all you guys talk about is how money is not an issue, and then you say how you dream of having a 2 million dollar home. which is it lady's?

we have all heard the saying

people who say money doesn't make you happy DONT Have any .

this is so true. i am sorry if my culture thinks its great to be succesful, and that marrying a doctor makes you better than others, but if an american girl had a chance to be with a doc or a pharmacist you know you would be with doctor in one sec. dont sit here and try to say otherwise. look at your stupid television show the bachelor, they make a big deal out of docs here too. meanwhile girls and my school where dump tea shirts saying I AM THE DOC MY MOM WAnTED me to marry,, uh you are a "doc because you are ugly and couldn't get one "

please stop replying if you are just going to post bitter remarks about how you dont need to get married and blah blah bah, this is getting old enough aready .
 
Oh lol... now you're being much too obvious about your trolling. If you took as much pride in your trolling as you do in your doctor husband then you wouldn't be doing this all wrong.
 
I can no longer engage in debate with people who think i am a troll, and feel better saying i am imaginary and such and can't stand that i have a husband who is a doctor.



i have read a lot of okgirls post and nerve123 and a few others and all you guys talk about is how money is not an issue, and then you say how you dream of having a 2 million dollar home. which is it lady's?

we have all heard the saying

people who say money doesn't make you happy DONT Have any .

this is so true. i am sorry if my culture thinks its great to be succesful, and that marrying a doctor makes you better than others, but if an american girl had a chance to be with a doc or a pharmacist you know you would be with doctor in one sec. dont sit here and try to say otherwise. look at your stupid television show the bachelor, they make a big deal out of docs here too. meanwhile girls and my school where dump tea shirts saying I AM THE DOC MY MOM WAnTED me to marry,, uh you are a "doc because you are ugly and couldn't get one "

please stop replying if you are just going to post bitter remarks about how you dont need to get married and blah blah bah, this is getting old enough aready .

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ANd you are calling people on here racists.

The rest of the 😴 is "blah, blah, I'm a troll, blah, blah, blah"

What happened, you were so bad you didn't even get invited to an on-site interview for pharmacy schools?

Oh and in case I'm correct about my first assumption (that you are a MD or MD-wannabe), just take note that my wife dumped a MD to start dating me and during the dating process turned down several other MDs to stay with me.

She said something along the lines of:
1. I'm a secure man and don't have a god complex
2. Better looking (hate to tell you but a lot of MDs are pretty geeky, more so than pharmacists now-a-days)
3. I actually have a personality
4. Better developed overall 😉

And truth be told, no guy secure with himself truly wants to marry (note this key word, dating 😉 is ok) a girl who they think is with them just because of their profession
 
I can no longer engage in debate with people who think i am a troll, and feel better saying i am imaginary and such and can't stand that i have a husband who is a doctor.



i have read a lot of okgirls post and nerve123 and a few others and all you guys talk about is how money is not an issue, and then you say how you dream of having a 2 million dollar home. which is it lady's?

we have all heard the saying

people who say money doesn't make you happy DONT Have any .

this is so true. i am sorry if my culture thinks its great to be succesful, and that marrying a doctor makes you better than others, but if an american girl had a chance to be with a doc or a pharmacist you know you would be with doctor in one sec. dont sit here and try to say otherwise. look at your stupid television show the bachelor, they make a big deal out of docs here too. meanwhile girls and my school where dump tea shirts saying I AM THE DOC MY MOM WAnTED me to marry,, uh you are a "doc because you are ugly and couldn't get one "

please stop replying if you are just going to post bitter remarks about how you dont need to get married and blah blah bah, this is getting old enough aready .
Just because someone wants the best they can get, doesn't mean that we need a doctor to support us. You must not have a life to go back and read all of our posts. You don't know who I am and you obviously have no clue about my financial situation. I am far too modest to live in a huge house and all of that. I would not marry a doctor. I actually rather be a lonley old cat lady than be married to a doctor.

You have absolutley no interest in the field of pharmacy, so why are you even here?
You are obviously a troll and need to get a life!
Also, you don't get to tell people if and how to respond. You also forgot to say you were graduating in 5 months!
 
I can no longer engage in debate with people who think i am a troll, and feel better saying i am imaginary and such and can't stand that i have a husband who is a doctor.



i have read a lot of okgirls post and nerve123 and a few others and all you guys talk about is how money is not an issue, and then you say how you dream of having a 2 million dollar home. which is it lady's?

we have all heard the saying

people who say money doesn't make you happy DONT Have any .

this is so true. i am sorry if my culture thinks its great to be succesful, and that marrying a doctor makes you better than others, but if an american girl had a chance to be with a doc or a pharmacist you know you would be with doctor in one sec. dont sit here and try to say otherwise. look at your stupid television show the bachelor, they make a big deal out of docs here too. meanwhile girls and my school where dump tea shirts saying I AM THE DOC MY MOM WAnTED me to marry,, uh you are a "doc because you are ugly and couldn't get one "

please stop replying if you are just going to post bitter remarks about how you dont need to get married and blah blah bah, this is getting old enough aready .


I still think your complete BS...but just pointing out how lame you look...

If your hypothetical "husband" wasnt an MD you wouldnt be with him?

Sucks for your "husband" that the only thing thats keeping you with him is a piece of paper hanging on the wall telling you what he is.

Thats some insecurity.
 
BLAH BLAH BLAH.....
people who say money doesn't make you happy DONT Have any .

this is so true. i am sorry if my culture thinks its great to be succesful, and that marrying a doctor makes you better than others, but if an american girl had a chance to be with a doc or a pharmacist you know you would be with doctor in one sec. dont sit here and try to say otherwise. look at your stupid television show the bachelor, they make a big deal out of docs here too. meanwhile girls and my school where dump tea shirts saying I AM THE DOC MY MOM WAnTED me to marry,, uh you are a "doc because you are ugly and couldn't get one "
You are probably one of the dumbest people i have seen on this site. Your logic is flawed, you ramble on incoherently, and for a some who is living such a perfect and exemplary existence, you carry yourself on like a ******ed 5 year old only child.
Your statement above holds absolutely no merit or truth. Your broad sweeping statements make you look ignorant. Girls who are too ugly to marry a doc are doctors. Let me ask you something; Are you too ugly that you went to school to validate yourself to your husband? After all, you are successful since you did the improbable- you married a doctor. I'm jealous. Or are you jealous that those girls got in to doctorate without the assistance and luxury of having a doctor as a significant other? You couldn't do that?
Your arrogance leads to your ignorance.
 
I can no longer engage in debate with people who think i am a troll, and feel better saying i am imaginary and such and can't stand that i have a husband who is a doctor.



i have read a lot of okgirls post and nerve123 and a few others and all you guys talk about is how money is not an issue, and then you say how you dream of having a 2 million dollar home. which is it lady's?

we have all heard the saying

people who say money doesn't make you happy DONT Have any .

this is so true. i am sorry if my culture thinks its great to be succesful, and that marrying a doctor makes you better than others, but if an american girl had a chance to be with a doc or a pharmacist you know you would be with doctor in one sec. dont sit here and try to say otherwise. look at your stupid television show the bachelor, they make a big deal out of docs here too. meanwhile girls and my school where dump tea shirts saying I AM THE DOC MY MOM WAnTED me to marry,, uh you are a "doc because you are ugly and couldn't get one "

please stop replying if you are just going to post bitter remarks about how you dont need to get married and blah blah bah, this is getting old enough aready .

Pharmacist are doctors, we just have the luxary of being refered to as either or, thats if you have a Pharm D.

MD= Doctor of Medicine
PharmD= Doctor of Pharmacy

Also since you seemed to but so caught up on money a Pharmacy student can do the PharmD/Phd program and make as much as a med student and in less time.

A friend of mine is getting his Pharm D/Phd and will be done this yr, and already got a job offer from a pharmacutical company $420,000.00
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pharmacist are doctors, we just have the luxary of being refered to as either or, thats if you have a Pharm D.

MD= Doctor of Medicine
PharmD= Doctor of Pharmacy

Also since you seemed to but so caught up on money a Pharmacy student can do the PharmD/Phd program and make as much as a med student and in less time.

A friend of mine is getting his Pharm D/Phd and will be done this yr, and already got a job offer from a pharmacutical company $420,000.00
What exactly does someone with a PharmD/PhD have options of doing? Is it pretty much for doing research?
 
lol...I think it's funny that you guys got excited about a Ph.D. when the $420,000 was dangled out there. Heck, I'm curious how a Ph.D. can make that much...must have invented something cool.
 
lol...I think it's funny that you guys got excited about a Ph.D. when the $420,000 was dangled out there. Heck, I'm curious how a Ph.D. can make that much...must have invented something cool.
Yeah I just don't understand how the salary is that much more? I also have always wondered what it is.
 
Yeah I just don't understand how the salary is that much more? I also have always wondered what it is.

The pharmacutical industry is a multibillion dollar industry, do you have any idea how much lets say pfizer makes a yr. And lets say you are the head the research team that created claritin you would get a bonus im sure also. The first person that I ever talked to about pharmacy was someone who said that they were the pharmacutical mngr for medco i think, but im not sure, and he said that he was currently making 390k a yr, and was about to leave for a higher paying job

read this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=490926

copied and pasted from 2006 article (have no idea if accurate):
"John LaMattina, the top scientist for Pfizer" "an organic chemist by training"
"With new products scarce, Pfizer's profit is sliding, and its stock price is languishing near an eight-year low. Industry critics say the company has tried to gloss over its research failures with heavy marketing that encourages patients to take medicines, like Viagra and the painkiller Celebrex, that they may not need."

"Of course, LaMattina, 56, has a financial and personal interest in offering a positive spin on Pfizer's prospects. He was paid $5.1 million in salary and other compensation last year and owns about $10 million of Pfizer shares, according to the company's proxy statement"

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/07/...ess/pfizer.php