pharmacy acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SalH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how does a 3.65 overall gpa and a 4.0 science gpa stack up to any of the schools out there? Didnt take my pcat yet is there any advice of when i should take it was thinking of taking it in the summer..

Members don't see this ad.

how does a 3.65 overall gpa and a 4.0 science gpa stack up to any of the schools out there? Didnt take my pcat yet is there any advice of when i should take it was thinking of taking it in the summer..

really horific and super bad u need a 4.0 in everything and at least a 95 pcat. gluck u :D

Members don't see this ad :)

Retake the January 08 PCAT. To boost up your chance to get into a pharmacy school. You need at least 85 composite to get into a pharmacy school. Do not throw away money to pharmcas unless you have a 85 composite.

Just retake. Did you sign up for the January 2008 pcat?

Retake the January 08 PCAT. To boost up your chance to get into a pharmacy school. You need at least 85 composite to get into a pharmacy school. Do not throw away money to pharmcas unless you have a 85 composite.

That's incorrect given that most pharmacy school average PCAT composite for entering classes are either at or below 85 composite. That means that there are plenty of people who get into pharmacy school with a sub-85 score.

That's incorrect given that most pharmacy school average PCAT composite for entering classes are either at or below 85 composite. That means that there are plenty of people who get into pharmacy school with a sub-85 score.

yes definiely true bc i got an interview with a 70 pcat

what makes you think that one needs an 85 composite? UF has a range of 70-99 with the average being 82!

With that GPA, you should be able to do okay on the PCAT and still get plenty of offers. I thought that an 85% would have been scoffed at and that I would need to take it again, but that wasn't the case. One Doctor that is on the admissions board at UT Memphis told me that even at most competitive schools, you could excel in other aspects of your application and still be competitive with a PCAT in the high 70s.

And honestly, for anyone who gripes about a GPA that is above a 3.5 (not that you are) or says you need one way higher than that to get wherever in life you want to be... ignore them. Schools would much rather have a well rounded student with a GPA of around 3.5 than some 4.0 toting hermit with little social skills. Remember that your goal as a pharmacist will be not only to problem solve and think, but to also interact with a plethora of people from all walks of life... all day long... year round.

Best of luck. And don't worry too much.

thanks alot to ppl that actually had an actual response and not some witty ****** with a 70 pcat, i think im better off taking advice from other people... Thank you keep your smart*** comments to yourself.

thanks alot to ppl that actually had an actual response and not some witty ****** with a 70 pcat, i think im better off taking advice from other people... Thank you keep your smart*** comments to yourself.

What's wrong with a 70 pcat? With all due respect, you are in no position to criticize someone's pcat score, seeing as you haven't even taken it yet! I know a lot of people who couldn't break 65 with >3.7 gpa at a university!

What's wrong with a 70 pcat? With all due respect, you are in no position to criticize someone's pcat score, seeing as you haven't even taken it yet! I know a lot of people who couldn't break 65 with >3.7 gpa at a university!

exactly a 70 pcat isnt so bad and some ppl take easy classes and make a 3.7 or a 4.0 thats why theres the pcat. i hope u wernt referring to me though bc evn though i had a 70 pcat lol i got a score in the 90's buddy. roflmao i read the top and u were prob referring to me. all i can say is come to me with ur smart ass comments when u make a 95 like me :) pharmpills 1 u 0

exactly a 70 pcat isnt so bad and some ppl take easy classes and make a 3.7 or a 4.0 thats why theres the pcat. i hope u wernt referring to me though bc evn though i had a 70 pcat lol i got a score in the 90's buddy. roflmao i read the top and u were prob referring to me. all i can say is come to me with ur smart ass comments when u make a 95 like me :) pharmpills 1 u 0

>3.7 pre-req gpa at the University of Florida!

Sal,

I mean no disrespect. However, how do you honestly think you stack up? Look at people in some of your science classes and wonder how many of them have a >3.5 gpa. A GPA of >3.5 is a good indicator to schools that you are dedicated to education. However, a good GPA alon says nothing. College is easy. College is designed for you to pass. The reason someone has a good GPA means that they were more serious about their education and concentrated less efforts on drinking, clubs, etc. For me, you PCAT will weigh more when deciding how you stack up. A student with no life, no girl or dude, and no job should be stoned for getting anything less than a 4.0. There are people that have to work and take care of kids and may get a 3.0 or 3.3, but just as dedicated as someone with a 4.0. Long story short, GPA is not a indicator of how you stack up for pharmacy schools. It is you entire package that decides how you stack up: LORs, PCAT, GPA, pharm hours, and research or healthcare experience. However, it sounds like you are on a nice path and if you continue with your excellence, you should have no trouble getting into some pharmacy school.

Sal,

I mean no disrespect. However, how do you honestly think you stack up? Look at people in some of your science classes and wonder how many of them have a >3.5 gpa. A GPA of >3.5 is a good indicator to schools that you are dedicated to education. However, a good GPA alon says nothing. College is easy. College is designed for you to pass. The reason someone has a good GPA means that they were more serious about their education and concentrated less efforts on drinking, clubs, etc. For me, you PCAT will weigh more when deciding how you stack up. A student with no life, no girl or dude, and no job should be stoned for getting anything less than a 4.0. There are people that have to work and take care of kids and may get a 3.0 or 3.3, but just as dedicated as someone with a 4.0. Long story short, GPA is not a indicator of how you stack up for pharmacy schools. It is you entire package that decides how you stack up: LORs, PCAT, GPA, pharm hours, and research or healthcare experience. However, it sounds like you are on a nice path and if you continue with your excellence, you should have no trouble getting into some pharmacy school.

well said, exactly some ppl have jobs and responsibilities like kids but mostly jobs. u can say a job shouldnt affect ur grades but it does to a certain extent i mean u should blame a job for u failing but sometimes when ur a few points away from an A the job comes into play bc u couldve had more time to study. i work in a pharmacy so its not like im not gaining something on the job too, i try to balance it out well.