Pharmacy, Any Regrets? $500,000/year as a NeuroSurgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroSurgeon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone wants to be a Neuro Surgeon. All it takes is four years of Medical School and then some Residency.

Question: Why do you want to become a Pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious if anyone wants to be a Neuro Surgeon. All it takes is four years of Medical School and then some Residency.

Try 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med. school, residency in general surgery, and then going into specializing in neuro surgery. And like the last poster stated, time is least of all reasons I wouldn't be a neuro surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most neurosurgeons have:
No time for family
No time for Recreation
No time for Friends
Alot of money

Why?
Most hospitals are understaffed on neurosurgeons due to costs and salaries which equals:
Longer shifts than most other attendings
Always on call

Also:
Residencies are an average of 7 years with 1-2 years of a fellowship.

You're comparing apples and oranges man.

I dunno, one of the surgeons at the hospital where I did my rotation this summer hadn't had a day off in 72 days. That sucks as an attending.

I am of the belief that no one needs to make that much money. I'm not sure if $500K/yr is in that range yet (I'm talking more professional athletes and CEOs) but as a NSG you'll be spending about half of that on malpractice insurance, won't you?

There are a couple reasons I picked pharmacy. I'm not really a people person. I like that I can go hide in the basement and enter orders and make nasty faces while I talk to nurses on the phone. I don't really care to touch icky sick people. Bodily Fluids = ewww. And it's a lifestyle issue as well. I want to enjoy my late 20s and get to travel and go to concerts etc. You completely give up any spontaneity in your life through a surgical residency. Boo on that!

Yea I was going to let the troll get away, but I needed the Post Count... Epic's beating me this week.

Yes after 10 years of post grad work you'll likely not start off at 500k, but hey, let's say you do. Bully to you.

I could leave school with 100k in debt (I'm not because I enjoy a social life, but it's more then reasonable to assume my number). I could graduate and walk into a pharmacy chain and get them to pay that off (in lets say 5 years) and make 100k doing it. You'll leave school with what, conservatively $175k (assuming you have not, a golden spoon). I bank 50% of my salary, go to a business school and get some MBA hotshot to help write a proposal for an independent pharmacy. (Free or on barter, since most MBA programs require you to write up a business proposal, it works out. BTW most of the programs have students that they'll assign to your small business to work on advertising, merchandising and other assundry businessy things. Yea more free services.)

I scope out the local area for possible independent pharmacy locations and get involved with NCPA. Rather I get involved with the NCPA and the students assigned to me scope out local areas for independents. Best case I buy out someone ready to retire, worst case is I have to work a site from scratch.

I get my wife or mother to be the declared owner and I'll be the silent partner, we'll get the government to fund 80-100% of opening the business through SBA and minority grants and loans. After 3-5 years, I've opened 2 or 3 stores, you're just getting finished with your school, I bring in 230k/year + I have 2 or 3 stores under my belt.

Two years later I plunk down the cash to buy out the commercial real estate where my stores are, so now I have the real estate and the stores (and the 230k/year). In 15 years post school I'll have (conservatively) 7 commericial properties and 3 or 4 pharmacies. I take on three fresh from the school pharmacists and groom them. Five years later I set up a sliding buy-out with the pharmacists covering the next 5 years.

I retire. Age 58-60 (I was 33 when I started school). Continue to slowly aquire commercial real estate to hit about 350k of annual income, watch my kids grow up, send them off to college and take a cruise around the world (or 4), learn to pilot a twin-turbo prop and buy (as a business write off) a nice used plane every 6 years or so. I'll get to fly my happy arse over the US and Canada, seeing family, friends and staying involved in Pharmacy.

Hmmm, yep I'm all envious of your 500k super brain, but hey, while I'm being all jealous, I'll remember you when I'm hitting snooze button at 10am, listening to the soft lapping of the waves against the boat and smell the ocean breezes and oh yea... the complete lack of responsibility.

Yes, I realize I'll be putting away more then the 401k will allow, I guess that measely 7.5% bond market and 4.6% on stocks (both what I get now in zero agressive accounts) will just have to do. Woe... is me.

haha troll

4 years of school, work 40 hours a week, no residency required, make $120k+. Flexible hours. Cheap malpractice insurance.

Who wouldn't want to be a pharmacist?

haha troll

4 years of school, work 40 hours a week, no residency required, make $120k+. Flexible hours. Cheap malpractice insurance.

Who wouldn't want to be a pharmacist?

1) Your forgetting undergraduate work. It took me 7 years to get my undergrad degree and my PharmD. Even if you choose not to get a bachelor's degree first, you still have at least 2 years of prerequisites.

2) I'm not making 120k per year.:(

Yep real easy..Thats all it takes a few years of med school and a residence... I am going to become one by correspondence course.....

hahahahaha

funny thread

my bro-in-law is a neurosurgeon..........let me tell you.........loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong hours.........

he misses holiday get togethers, he misses time with his kid, did i mention they work loooooooooong hours?????? as in, on call 24-7..........

but it's true...........they paychecks are very nice............

he is starting at around 350K/year..........but in about 5 years will boost to well over 500K/year

I'm going to be a pro football player... they make, what, at least 4 times that a year? I mean, I don't like football, and I actually don't know how to play, and I have no hand-eye coordination, and I'm 5'3'', but whatever. I'm basing my career totally on money.

You spent way too much money and time for penis enhancement.

I would guess most people in the pharmacy forum don't want the lifestyle or the skill set that one must acquire to be a surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be a pro football player... they make, what, at least 4 times that a year? I mean, I don't like football, and I actually don't know how to play, and I have no hand-eye coordination, and I'm 5'3'', but whatever. I'm basing my career totally on money.

Hey that's a great idea!! I think I might actually become a brain surgeon...or maybe an ophthalmologist. I don't have good hand-eye coordination either and I don't really even like doing things with my hands. But whatever...it pays so well and it's just school and residency and then wham I'm rich!!:laugh:

1) Your forgetting undergraduate work. It took me 7 years to get my undergrad degree and my PharmD. Even if you choose not to get a bachelor's degree first, you still have at least 2 years of prerequisites.

haha c'mon help me out here, i'm trying to match wits with the troll and oversimplify things, since he/she thinks it only takes "4 years of MS and some residency"

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a neurosurgeon, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a pharmacist either. What ever happened to entering a field because you enjoy the type of work you will do and think about the money second. As long as you are compensated well enough to provide for your family or hobbies or whatever who cares how much money you make

laugh so much after reading some of these posts......

great way to keep entertained b/w study sessions....

laugh so much after reading some of these posts......

great way to keep entertained b/w study sessions....

HAHA Great, because I swear that post is a direct result from studying for micro/abx & working on a couple of documents for student government. It's a miracle I didn't start babbling on MedChem yesterday morning.

You need to change your mentality about who's rich and who's not. A neurosurgeon is nothing compared to the ten of thousands of millionaires out there who are making millions and more per year without even a graduate degree.

You need to change your mentality about who's rich and who's not. A Neuro surgent is nothing compared to the ten of thousands of millionaires out there who are making millions and more per year without even a graduate degree.

I mean, I understand that this is a message board and individuals may make typographical errors by chance, but what in the **** is a "Neuro surgent"???? I mean, that is not a random mistake; I am very concerned when people are giving advice but fail to even spell a word that is in the title of the thread correctly.....

I mean, I understand that this is a message board and individuals may make typographical errors by chance, but what in the **** is a "Neuro surgent"???? I mean, that is not a random mistake; I am very concerned when people are giving advice but fail to even spell a word that is in the title of the thread correctly.....

Sorry my misspell offended your perfect English. I was typing in a rush and English is not my first language.

That's funny 4 years and some residency!...u r suppose to be good in math!!
4 y undergrad + 4 y medical school+7 years residency +2 fellowship=17 y !!!!
hell no that's way to much ..Times is a factor...Wat iam gonna do with money if I dont get to enjoy my life with family !!!
Iam happy I choosed pharmacyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I agree with Priapism.

That kind of stuff annoys the hell out of me too and I saw waaaaaaaay too much of it in pharm school.

That's funny 4 years and some residency!...u r suppose to be good in math!!
4 y undergrad + 4 y medical school+7 years residency +2 fellowship=17 y !!!!
hell no that's way to much ..Times is a factor...Wat iam gonna do with money if I dont get to enjoy my life with family !!!
Iam happy I choosed pharmacyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

UST - accepting people from all over the place...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-6pnQXjAVg
it's only four years, right? 100% admissions - they want diversity

it's in the Phillipines - Good times - 3:35 is my favorite ;)

Dana, can you hire me as a pharmacy technician?

I really need a job. I have been searching for one.

Sorry my misspell offered your perfect English. I was typing in a rush and English is not my first language.

What!?!??! Sorry but if English isn't your first language and you recognize that you aren't great at it, why not try a little harder to learn it? You won't be a happy RPh for too long with those communication skills.

How does one's misspell offer perfect English? What does that mean?

What!?!??! Sorry but if English isn't your first language and you recognize that you aren't great at it, why not try a little harder to learn it? You won't be a happy RPh for too long with those communication skills.

How does one's misspell offer perfect English? What does that mean?

"Offended", just another misspell. Sorry your superior English learning didn't allow you to figure that one out. By the way are you fluent in reading/writing/speaking another foreign language besides English? If not then I guess you have no right to say that I haven't tried hard.

banned for trolling after one post...lol:laugh::laugh: