Pharmacy Conventions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laura_mideon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I know this is an odd question. But I was recently watching an episode of "Friends" (go ahead and make fun of me) and Ross had to go to a Paleontology convention in the Bahamas and there was a Pharmacy convention going on there. I didn't really think much about it because I was more mad that they were making fun of how ugly Pharmacists are.

Then I met a guy at my CPR class who used to be a Pharm tech and I told him that I am going to be a Pharmacist and he kept saying how lucky I am because all the Pharmacists at his work got to go to Pharmacy conventions every year in the coolest places.

Is this true??? Do pharmacists get sent different places for conventions? If so, what are they about and more importantly.........who pays? :p

Members don't see this ad.

well.. first off.. i've gone to 3,(two national and one state) and i LOVED them... but then again.. i am a goober ;)

we were lucky this year in seattle (my 1st year) to have both APhA and NCPA in town, so we didnt have to pay for airfare or hotel.

I had so much fun at both these conferences though I must admit APhA was my favorite. Its so inspiring to meet different students from different schools, and make policy changes (as students mind you) that can affect the way we as pharmacists will practice

I think the one most important lesson I've learned from attending these conferences is not the free pens (lol) but the networking and contacts you make. It is really an eye opener to discuss current issues with other students: see how and where their curriculum varies, see what issues are important in their state, how change of the profession is affecting them versus you in your own state and school. I

( i was so motivated, enthralled, inspired by everything i did at apha, that its made me consider running for a nationl/regional office)

in our case... this next year though, two of apha conferences are out of our state :utah and florida, and ashp's mid year is in florida... so thats 3 trips, out of state, that we have to pay out of pocket for.. flight and hotel.. and everything

at the end of the year, we run a school of pharmacy auction to help fundraise for reimbursement for students who travel to conferences.. there are of course reimbursement requirements for each conference, and we've worked out a fair system of reimbursement.. we dont get reimbursed for all of it, just flight and hotel, and usually not close to 100%, but we do get some (although it doesnt come until june)

so really its students paying out of pocket (loans or credit cards) to go... but honestly.. i dont know what its been like for other people.. but i've gained so much, professionally and personally, from going to conferences...

i dont recall that episode of friends.. do you know what season it is?(so i can rent it and watch it on dvd) :D

Mags said:
i dont recall that episode of friends.. do you know what season it is?(so i can rent it and watch it on dvd) :D

I just looked it up, it's a two part episode, 9.23 and 9.24 titled "The One in Barbados, part one and part two". It's the finale for that season.

So are you saying that there are conventions for pharm students as well as for pharmacists? Or is it all combined?

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of conventions, I am meaning to say conferences......oops.....you say tomato, I say PICKLE! I guess. :oops:

laura_mideon said:
So are you saying that there are conventions for pharm students as well as for pharmacists? Or is it all combined?

YES!! Thats precisely what Im saying.(they are combined.. students AND pharmacists)

Most of the organizations have student memberships available and you can get a discounted student registration rate for conferences. Its of great advantage to do this as a student (where registration might run $150 max) when as a practicioner you might have to pay $1000 for a registration fee.

So basically you can take advantage of a lot of the same things the pharmacists can, but at a cheaper rate. You can go to CE's on different diseases and drugs, take part in the student programming for various organizations and attend the exhibit halls.

Mags said:
So basically you can take advantage of a lot of the same things the pharmacists can, but at a cheaper rate. You can go to CE's on different diseases and drugs, take part in the student programming for various organizations and attend the exhibit halls.

That's awesome!

State boards of pharmacies also have conventions (whatever you want to call them). When i was a kid my mom used to go to them every year on the beach. It was very nice and always at a very nice place.

The number you attend will probably also have to do with the number of live CE hours your state requires.

bbmuffin said:
State boards of pharmacies also have conventions (whatever you want to call them). When i was a kid my mom used to go to them every year on the beach. It was very nice and always at a very nice place.

That's awesome. So your mom is a pharmacist and you are going to be one too?? If so, that's really cool. :)

I was at that Seattle meeting too. It was great! I am looking forward to the meeting in Orlando since I can drive there! As far as payment, it all depends on how the chapter has the program set up.

Caverject said:
I was at that Seattle meeting too. It was great! I am looking forward to the meeting in Orlando since I can drive there! As far as payment, it all depends on how the chapter has the program set up.

So they're mostly in Canada and the US? Have any of you gone out of N.America to a convention?

laura_mideon said:
So they're mostly in Canada and the US? Have any of you gone out of N.America to a convention?
If you go to an American school, you will not have any reason to go out of the country for a convention, unless you are involved in IPSF, which is the International version of APhA. Conventions dealing with American based organizations, like APhA, AHSP, or NCPA are all in America. Hope this helps!

Caverject said:

I plan on going to the ASP-APhA meetig this year too. Plus it's in Orlando (where I live) and only about 20 min away! It'll be my first meeting and I'm already looking forward to it!

bananaface said:
We need to hold a little SDN convention at the Orlando convention. :D

I 2nd that idea!!!!

"bananaface" are you going?? i'm still looking at flights...

i'm definitely going to apha-asp and am so stoked.. i cant wait to see mr. colin conway finely represent our school as speaker of the house for apha-asp!

ashp is also in orlando this year, and i'm getting my tickets for that as we speak...

Since I don't live too far away, I'd love to have anyone over who wants to come hang out one night. If we get time away that is. We definately should meet up either way!!

If I get accepted to UF, I plan on going; assuming that it is allowed for applicants to attend. I'll have to start checking that out. :)

bananaface said:
PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE! :cool:

hehe... yah no kidding

i havent been to gainsville since 2001...