Pharmacy Experience on PT application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STILLmatic 9096

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am going to be applying to pt programs this summer. I have been working as a pharmacy technician for the last 4 years now, and I would just like to know if anyone knows if this experience would carry any weight on my pt applications. I realize that working as a pt aid or something of that sort would probably look best on my application, but I decided to continue working as a tech throughout undergrad because of the nice pay. Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

I am going to be applying to pt programs this summer. I have been working as a pharmacy technician for the last 4 years now, and I would just like to know if anyone knows if this experience would carry any weight on my pt applications. I realize that working as a pt aid or something of that sort would probably look best on my application, but I decided to continue working as a tech throughout undergrad because of the nice pay. Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Including it isn’t going to make or break you getting into a program nor will it make you get ranked higher. Unfortunately most programs rank you off of your stats. But I would include it anyways under your experience section.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think being a tech is going to make you look better than anyone else. Being a PT versus a tech are two entirely different fields, after all.

I have been accepted to PT school and I have been a Pharmacy tech almost three years. I don’t know your situation but after getting my bachelors degree and not getting accepted the first time around I just really worked to improve my application. I also started in a warehouse pharmacy and got nationally certified and got a job in the inpatient pharmacy at a hospital. I think it did help me cause it showed my growth. I now am a supervisor at the hospital. It took me a long time but I finally found a pt tech job that worked with my full time schedule at the hospital. So I think most jobs can positive it’s just how you use it to your advantage. Working at both places has shown me how much I love physical therapy and I know I’m taking the right path. I talked about that in my interviews.