Pharmacy experience?? Someone!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marzen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work in a pharmacy but I'm going to become an EMT in the near future. After I quit, I will have worked there for about a year, would this look good on an application? I'm going to work as a EMT and shadow, and then do some volunteer work at my local ER room. But getting back to the question, does pharmacy experience look good?

Members don't see this ad.

does pharmacy experience look good?

It depends on your job description. Were you a pharmacy tech or working directly with a pharmacist? That would look good, as you would gain familiarity with all types of pharmaceuticals. Did you stock shelves with hair products and hand cream, or work at the general checkout counter? That wouldn't add to your application. When you apply through AMCAS, if you feel a job is relevant to your medical application, you would also include a detailed description of your duties.

Make sure you find a job with your EMT before you quit a good job in a pharmacy. Very few Basics find a job with an ambulance service -- at least a paid one -- and even fewer find a job as a tech in an ED. So unless you're working as a checkout girl/boy, I would seriously consider the disadvantages to quitting.