Pharmacy HPSP 2016 (All Branches)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Filipino95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After looking through some old posts on the forums, it looks like there aren't any recent threads on the military's Health Profession Scholarship Program, so I'm starting this thread for either anyone interested, applying to, or has been selected for the HPSP for this year for any of the military branches.

As for myself, I've applied to the Air Force HPSP for a 2-year agreement. I've heard that the selection board for the AF met in early October, so I should be hearing back soon. Anyone else is welcome to share their stories or questions about the HPSP!

Members don't see this ad.

I have also applied for the 2 year Air Force HPSP. I haven't heard anything yet but my recruiter did say I would be hearing at the end of this month or the beginning of next.

Hi, can you guys explain the process that you went through? I just contacted a recruiter to get started with an application; is that what I should be doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, can you guys explain the process that you went through? I just contacted a recruiter to get started with an application; is that what I should be doing?

Yes, contacting a recruiter is what you should be doing but you want to make sure you're speaking with a health recruiter. I had to go through three different recruiters to get to mine. It might be a little early to apply for next year though. My application process didn't get started till about March/April this year. The recruiter will send you a pre-qualification form and once you're good to go, he should forward you many different forms to fill out, you'll also have to write an essay, and gather 3 recommendations. I didn't officially finish my entire application until the end of September when I interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup the recruiter will basically guide you through the application process and give you everything you need to fill out. HPSP is usually only given out once a year for pharmacy though, and this year's application process is already over.

I have also applied for the 2 year Air Force HPSP. I haven't heard anything yet but my recruiter did say I would be hearing at the end of this month or the beginning of next.
My recruiter told me the same. Good luck to you!

Hi everyone, my recruiter told me ten spots also. Would be great if it was actually 20 though :) Still waiting to hear back. I heard the board was planning to meet on the 28th of this month.

Hi everyone, my recruiter told me ten spots also. Would be great if it was actually 20 though :) Still waiting to hear back. I heard the board was planning to meet on the 28th of this month.
UPDATE: I got an email shortly after posting. Got the 2-year scholarship!

Funny story, I sent him a general email asking if he knew if the board was running on schedule this year. He said he hadn't heard anything as of yet. An hour later he emailed me the good news. Congratulations Filipino95!

Anyone else get selected for the Pharmacy HPSP out there?

I've been thinking about the Air Force HPSP. I'm starting pharmacy school Fall 2017 so I know I still have lots of time. Even though its a two year contract, don't you still have to commit a minimum of three years active duty?

Did any of you had the opportunity to shadow a military pharmacist? And/or figure out if a military pharmacist undergoes some sort of residency for clinical experience?

what were your major deciding factors to join? I'm still figuring out the pros and cons.

Hello, everyone!

Can you specialize when you take the HPSP Scholarship? And can anyone specify their stats? What type of school are you going to, what's your gpa-- that kind of thing.

Thanks,

Jackie

I've been thinking about the Air Force HPSP. I'm starting pharmacy school Fall 2017 so I know I still have lots of time. Even though its a two year contract, don't you still have to commit a minimum of three years active duty?

Did any of you had the opportunity to shadow a military pharmacist? And/or figure out if a military pharmacist undergoes some sort of residency for clinical experience?

what were your major deciding factors to join? I'm still figuring out the pros and cons.

You still have plenty of time if you're just starting now. It is a one or two year scholarship with a minimum three year active duty contract. I didn't have the opportunity to shadow a military pharmacist, but spoke to a few. Your recruiter can put you in contact with one. There are residencies and clinical experiences available for military pharmacists, but that's the extent of my knowledge about that.

Deciding factors to join are going to be unique to everyone. For me, I've wanted to join the military for as long as I can remember. And a pros and cons list is a great idea, but again...will vary from person to person. For example, when I had my interview with a current active duty pharmacist she warned me that some of the biggest complaints people had were having to move every 3 years and having to perform job duties that weren't pharmacy related. Those are pros for me since I don't mind moving and actually look forward to having odd jobs...but they might be cons for someone else.