Pharmacy Job Market/Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL are you sure that isn't one of the "clinical positions" that involves 100% staff work. I love to see the duped new grads at the interviews. One of those "I thought I was going to go on rounds and do exotic dosing and protocols, but you're telling me that you want me to just shut the **** up and verify orders in the basement for 8 hours straight?" looks is just priceless...

ah the reality that is pharmacy lol. all that bs put out by apha and the schools only goes so far.🙄
 
ah the reality that is pharmacy lol. all that bs put out by apha and the schools only goes so far.🙄

Not in all cases. I do not work in an academic medical center and still my practice is very similar to the 'fluff' my professors described in school.
-I am given a professional work environment, personal office space with desk, computer, etc.
-Pharmacist staffing is good and technician staffing is good.
-I take an hour lunch break every day, some days I spend that lunch break going to a presentation.
-I have a group of physicians I work and meet with regularly.
-Strong leadership in the dept. with great departmental communication
-Member of interdisciplinary hospital committees
-Work with pharmacy students
-Good pay, benefits, and quality of life!

Things can get hectic at times but I really enjoy my job...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not in all cases. I do not work in an academic medical center and still my practice is very similar to the 'fluff' my professors described in school.
-I am given a professional work environment, personal office space with desk, computer, etc.
-Pharmacist staffing is good and technician staffing is good.
-I take an hour lunch break every day, some days I spend that lunch break going to a presentation.
-I have a group of physicians I work and meet with regularly.
-Strong leadership in the dept. with great departmental communication
-Member of interdisciplinary hospital committees
-Work with pharmacy students
-Good pay, benefits, and quality of life!

Things can get hectic at times but I really enjoy my job...

Yeah but remember it takes roughly 5-10+ schmucks (depending how progressive your place is) verifying orders in the corner or locked in the IV room all day to support the cake you like to eat as well... :meanie:
 
Yeah but remember it takes roughly 5-10+ schmucks (depending how progressive your place is) verifying orders in the corner or locked in the IV room all day to support the cake you like to eat as well... :meanie:

Verifying duties are shared amongst the team. When I am verifying orders, I take my laptop and work on the unit or in the clinic. Allows me to field questions and make recommendations before orders are placed. You are correct though, there is a group that handles the majority of verifying orders and drugs.
 
Yeah but remember it takes roughly 5-10+ schmucks (depending how progressive your place is) verifying orders in the corner or locked in the IV room all day to support the cake you like to eat as well... :meanie:

Yup, that is why I did two years of residency so I didn't have to be one of those people. I fill in shifts as needed, but every time I do, I realize how I could never go back to doing it full time. I can flex my time too it I need to come in later or leaver earlier, as long as I put in my 40 hrs/week.
 
Well to put a positive spin on things since i didn't mean to add to the negativity of this thread, the "staff vs clinical" debate will not be around for much longer. I didn't do a residency but I had 7 years of professional healthcare experience as a clinical laboratorian (microbiologist to be specific dealing with all the ID doctors and Pharmacists lol) That experience helped me land a staff/clinical position right out of school. i spent half of my time doing typical staff work and the other half of the time in the units rounding. After a year I decided I was sick of the politics that comes with the day shift so i decided a 7 on/7off night position was indeed my calling. My clinical manager at my new job took advantage of my clinical skills and utilizes me to relieve some of the workload the daytime clinical pharmacists had. I spend my night in the main pharmacy but it's a mix of order verification, anticoagulation monitoring, IV to PO, and once our hospital has CPOE on board, antimicrobial stewardship will be added. Its turned into an interesting and unique position. Also, once CPOE is on board the pharmacists during the day will all be decentralized (right now we only have 3 strictly clinical day pharmacists). I work for HCA so if anyone is familiar with them knows they are very pro-pharmacy in the sense that they wants pharmacists intervening to save them as much money as possible without sacrificing patient care. I do per diem work at another smaller HCA hospital that has already undergone the CPOE transition and all of the pharmacists now are essentially "clinical". So the bottom line is everyone working in a hospital will eventually be clinical, regardless of residency training. However, for new grads, getting into a hospital will be almost impossible without a residency or equivalent experience.
 
So the bottom line is everyone working in a hospital will eventually be clinical, regardless of residency training. However, for new grads, getting into a hospital will be almost impossible without a residency or equivalent experience.

B***SH**, I know grads that came right out of school and got into hospital. I even went to an interview for a hospital position where the interviewee told me that they decided to include new grads as well and not just those with residencies(because aparently the new grads with residencies came across as know-it-alls, etc. and they wanted to choose a pharmacist based on other qualities. Residency isn't a requirement they told me, the duties of the position can be learned.)

And if you're wondering......no I didnt get that position. But I was called back for another interview, which I didn't go to, because I have a retail job with unlimited hours per week and good pay, which will allow me to pay my loans off in no time. And, with that experience, if I choose to do so, I can move on. For those of you that say it's hard to get hospital from retail, or you can't do this or that- It's hard to win the lottery, but many people play and someone always wins. There are far more clinical positions than a winning lottery ticket.

In addition there is no equation with certain variables, i.e. residency that can predict what position you will get. Some is luck, some is timing- you just happen to be there when a pharmacist quit, etc. Moreover, those doing residencies will eventually also have to take positions as staff pharmacists. Students going into residency are just brainwashed by their school IMHO.
 
I was wondering, where you all are today, would you still recommend someone to go into pharmacy?

I got accepted to Campbell's Pre-Pharmacy program recently, and I think I'd like the work, but it seems like a lot of people are talking about how things are going downhill for pharmacists and that it's a saturated market.
 
I was wondering, where you all are today, would you still recommend someone to go into pharmacy?

I got accepted to Campbell's Pre-Pharmacy program recently, and I think I'd like the work, but it seems like a lot of people are talking about how things are going downhill for pharmacists and that it's a saturated market.



I would not
 
I have been practicing for 10 years-5 of which in management. yes it is very tough now!.Cost containment is the name of the game now and the Pharmacists are the highest cost labor segment in the industry. Technology, central fill and possible law changes may keep the job situation as is. it is economics, after all, and the demand curve is tapering off. I cannot figure why we have so many Pharm schools in FL, but the schools are milking revenue.
Students-consider making yourself unique or a doctoral program. A Pharm D with an MBA or J can open doors. IN this new era the professionals that will succeed are those that are interdisciplinary; trust me on this as I am fresh out of an executive MBA and this is the market demand. They need professionals who can straddle the scientific, economic and legal lines. Pharmacy background, despite the job outlook, is quite rigorous and very impressive and makes for one highly educated individual. marry that to another discipline.
I am combining my MBA and Pharmacy degree to try to get into a Health Policy PhD program. Pharmacy as we know it is changing-you need to change with it

Probably one of the best ideas i have read. I think this is the only way to go and something I am considering. Get an advanced degree such as an MBA, MPH or JD and use the PharmD as a way to differentiate yourself.
 
Probably one of the best ideas i have read. I think this is the only way to go and something I am considering. Get an advanced degree such as an MBA, MPH or JD and use the PharmD as a way to differentiate yourself.

Geebus..... I've been saying this for almost a decade now???
 
Advanced Degree.........? Ok lets get real. If you want to practice pharmacy as a pharmacist there are really mostly 2 options; retail and hospital. An advanced degree only puts you with the pharmacists having practiced for over 20 years- over qualified and on the way out- because companies have to pay too much for them. It's cheaper to hire a new grad with just a Pharm. D than someone who has put one or more degrees on the resume. And, I'm speaking from experience because I have 4 degrees including one of those mentioned.

You only need to be an RPH to bag medications or to tell doctors that a patient can take a medication PO instead of IV or to look at the renal clearance and adjust the dose (I needed a doctorate for that). As it is we are way over qualified; had to learn way to much, to do what we do. They should have kept the bachelors of pharmacy degree. But be my guest, get another degree or two and see if that will put you over the edge with someone with just a Pharm. D.

Even if you have more than one degree, you think you're going to get more pay just because of that? Hmmmpf... not in this capitalistic society. Wake up and smell the garbage....... for crying out loud. You'll get the job with the same pay as all the rest of us if not less (As salaries are dropping and a recruiter would try to get you at the lowest possible rate. Besides you can't negotiate salaries, if you don't like what they offer staffing companies will just hang up the phone on you.) because companies are trying to make MONEY just like me.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Crappy job or no initiative? - Well paying job.


That's all you do all day? - I do what you do.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I'm going to have to call BS on that one. I'm pretty sure PumpkinSmasher has at least a lil' bit more of a "clinical" approach than what you describe if I remember correctly from his posts (without knowing all the details).
 
If you can't get ahead with advanced degrees then it's you. Then of course most upper management I've worked with in pharmacy and healthcare typically had an advanced degree.
 
If you can't get ahead with advanced degrees then it's you. Then of course most upper management I've worked with in pharmacy and healthcare typically had an advanced degree.

Z, wuts your opinion on one year of hospital experience on a resume. I'm currently working in a hospital and learning a ton both clinically and drug-distribution wise. However, I miss my home town and will stay at this job for exactly 1 year then reapply closer to home. Is it ok to have just have one year at a hospital and apply to other jobs? Would it be much better to have 2 or 3 years?
 
Once again, I realize I live in Pharmacy Utopia and will never, ever leave my job (our facility is growing, in case some smart ass wants to imply that I could be laid off). I'm hesitant to even talk about my job with other pharmacists IRL because I don't want them to feel bad.

Happy Holidays,
spacecowgirl, pharmacy unicorn living in a flyover state, who won't deny that the job market sucks but will argue that there are a lot of great working environments to be found and has pregnancy-induced insomnia hence posting at 2am.
 
Once again, I realize I live in Pharmacy Utopia and will never, ever leave my job (our facility is growing, in case some smart ass wants to imply that I could be laid off). I'm hesitant to even talk about my job with other pharmacists IRL because I don't want them to feel bad.

Happy Holidays,
spacecowgirl, pharmacy unicorn living in a flyover state, who won't deny that the job market sucks but will argue that there are a lot of great working environments to be found and has pregnancy-induced insomnia hence posting at 2am.

I feel the same way, when my buddies in retail complain about their jobs, I just stay quiet. I love my job, working conditions, and supervisors🙂
 
Z, wuts your opinion on one year of hospital experience on a resume. I'm currently working in a hospital and learning a ton both clinically and drug-distribution wise. However, I miss my home town and will stay at this job for exactly 1 year then reapply closer to home. Is it ok to have just have one year at a hospital and apply to other jobs? Would it be much better to have 2 or 3 years?

Longer years showing stability is good. But nothing wrong with wanting to move home and if you're a right fit for the job near home, go for it.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerram1
I have been practicing for 10 years-5 of which in management.
IN this new era the professionals that will succeed are those that are interdisciplinary; trust me on this as I am fresh out of an executive MBA and this is the market demand.

Originally Posted by MountainPharmD
Probably one of the best ideas i have read. I think this is the only way to go and something I am considering. Get an advanced degree such as an MBA, MPH or JD and use the PharmD as a way to differentiate yourself.

Originally Posted by ItsZ
Geebus..... I've been saying this for almost a decade now???
--------------------------------------------------------------------

rangerram, MountainPharmD, ItsZ--what would you say is the best time to get these additional degrees?

Note that rangerram is already working as a manager and getting an executive MBA, that is, a degree not open to people right out of pharmacy school. He/she has presumably already demonstrated an ability to manage.

I believe ItsZ is also a manager.

In general, adding on another degree because you can't find the job you want with the credentials you have is not recommended by most career counselors.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2011/12/21/grad-school-isnt-an-escape-from-a-bad-job-market


Once you are out of school with the first marketable degree, if you don't use it to gain job experience, that's often a big red flag to employers that you are not going to be a happy camper in whatever job they want to hire you for. Now if you've already been working in your field for a few years and are changing focus and need more training, that's different.

I don't disagree with the point; I just think it's bad advice for people just getting out of school.
 
i thought id start a new thread but whatever id put it in here

im now seeing job descriptions which state 'new residents graduates need not apply'

yea, just leave the profession if you have a chance
 
Z, wuts your opinion on one year of hospital experience on a resume. I'm currently working in a hospital and learning a ton both clinically and drug-distribution wise. However, I miss my home town and will stay at this job for exactly 1 year then reapply closer to home. Is it ok to have just have one year at a hospital and apply to other jobs? Would it be much better to have 2 or 3 years?

this is more than fine...you put your 1 yr in, then apply close to home. its perfect excuse

the problem is, what happens if the job you want close to home gets taken up by the time you are doing your 1 year?
 
Longer years showing stability is good. But nothing wrong with wanting to move home and if you're a right fit for the job near home, go for it.

That's what I think, too. Two or three years would be great but the area I work in is really isolated. Also, people in my generation (Gen Y) tend to move to new jobs more often then others.

Side note: I don't know why I remember this, but in a post years ago, you said you had like 7 jobs in 10 years?
 
Last edited:
this is more than fine...you put your 1 yr in, then apply close to home. its perfect excuse

the problem is, what happens if the job you want close to home gets taken up by the time you are doing your 1 year?

I've though that through. What happens if I randomly apply near the 6 month mark and they actually decide to hire me? I just think it would be a raw deal for my current place. My DOP worked really hard to get me on board . . . she's a good boss . . . My current plan is to start applying near the 10 month mark, get an offer around the 11th month mark, then put in one month notice.

This might a moot point as I don't think hospitals would hire me until I have almost a year of experience.
 
I've learned a valuable lesson that things don't always go according to plan. Since high school, I've been planning everything out. Apply to pharmacy school gaurenteed admissions out of high school . . . get accepted . . . graduate from rx school . . . become PHS commissioned officer . . . work in isolated area for 3 years to get all loans paid off . . . move somewhere to finish career and retire with pension in mid 40's.

I'm at a speed bump right now. Loans will take more than 3 years to get paid off now, but to me, that is small beans compared to potentially moving back to college setting and spending time with friends. I really miss college. I miss all the young, attractive women. I miss eating french fries and drinking beer with my buddies in the evening. I miss volleyball, dodgeball, and basketball.

Why do I feel like I am writing a diary? I need to sleep.
 
I've though that through. What happens if I randomly apply near the 6 month mark and they actually decide to hire me? I just think it would be a raw deal for my current place. My DOP worked really hard to get me on board . . . she's a good boss . . . My current plan is to start applying near the 10 month mark, get an offer around the 11th month mark, then put in one month notice.

This might a moot point as I don't think hospitals would hire me until I have almost a year of experience.

i hear ya dude, totally understand .... but believe the me the closer to home excuse is valid

screwing over the current place will happen, whether you leave in 6 months or 1 year, they still have to replace you

btw, do you have a probation time with this job? some jobs give a 6 mo probation time, you could leave after that saying its not the right mix for you (assuming you get the other job), and this is totally acceptable
 
I've read from a few websites that allow Pharmacists to post their Pharmacy experiences, and many of them said that schools sugar coat the truth: that Pharmacy isn't what it used to be (10-20 years ago), and that schools are dumping more graduates onto the streets than there are PharmD job positions available on the market. Do you think that technology will significantly lower the amount of PharmD. job positions? Is there really a glut of Pharmacists, and will there be in the near future? I know that UCSF has already invented a machine that does what Pharmacists and Pharm techs do- with no mistake.:scared:
If you have a PharmD or have become a Pharmacist recently, can you share your job hunting experience? How hard is it to find Pharmacy jobs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've read from a few websites that allow Pharmacists to post their Pharmacy experiences, and many of them said that schools sugar coat the truth: that Pharmacy isn't what it used to be (10-20 years ago), and that schools are dumping more graduates onto the streets than there are PharmD job positions available on the market. Do you think that technology will significantly lower the amount of PharmD. job positions? Is there really a glut of Pharmacists, and will there be in the near future? I know that UCSF has already invented a machine that does what Pharmacists and Pharm techs do- with no mistake.:scared:
If you have a PharmD or have become a Pharmacist recently, can you share your job hunting experience? How hard is it to find Pharmacy jobs?

Almost every career field is saturated right now.

Livius-Beating_A_Dead_Horse.gif
 
No thanks! It's just another racket- plain and simple.

The opportunity cost of a residency is not justifiable. The income lost while making $30-40k as a resident is roughly $60-70k/year (based on $100k/year salary). Seeing that I will graduate with ~$100k in debt after 8 years of college, a year of residency costs ($100k/8 years of college = $12.5k/year vs $60-70k/year lost per year of residency) approx. 5 times more than a year of college, which is ridiculous!
That's all you'll have left after a year of residency...




Experience and advanced degrees on top of a PharmD are both economical and prestigious alternatives, AND they're just as good as residencies- IMO.



Thanks for pointing this out. Have you personally seen advanced degrees on top of a Pharm.D. help students? I just got accepted to a prestigious school and was planning on pursuing something like this. Either an MBA or MS. How do you think it will make a difference?
 
Thanks for pointing this out. Have you personally seen advanced degrees on top of a Pharm.D. help students? I just got accepted to a prestigious school and was planning on pursuing something like this. Either an MBA or MS. How do you think it will make a difference?
It would help for a management position once you have some experience.
 
I've read from a few websites that allow Pharmacists to post their Pharmacy experiences, and many of them said that schools sugar coat the truth: that Pharmacy isn't what it used to be (10-20 years ago), and that schools are dumping more graduates onto the streets than there are PharmD job positions available on the market. Do you think that technology will significantly lower the amount of PharmD. job positions? Is there really a glut of Pharmacists, and will there be in the near future? I know that UCSF has already invented a machine that does what Pharmacists and Pharm techs do- with no mistake.:scared:
If you have a PharmD or have become a Pharmacist recently, can you share your job hunting experience? How hard is it to find Pharmacy jobs?

I dont think those machines at UCSF can do what pharmacists do with no mistake. I ve been working with many robots in my lab, and certainly that's not whats happening. Also, robots are meant to reduce workload for someone, not to replace those people because we always need someone there to press the buttons to start the machine. However, this means more pharmacists will have to learn new skills and dive in residency programs because the profession itself is evolving in a good way. We want doctors, nurses and other healthcare practitioners to respect us, we need to show our knowledge and ability more than just counting those pills.
 
I dont think those machines at UCSF can do what pharmacists do with no mistake. I ve been working with many robots in my lab, and certainly that's not whats happening. Also, robots are meant to reduce workload for someone, not to replace those people because we always need someone there to press the buttons to start the machine. However, this means more pharmacists will have to learn new skills and dive in residency programs because the profession itself is evolving in a good way. We want doctors, nurses and other healthcare practitioners to respect us, we need to show our knowledge and ability more than just counting those pills.
What does this have to do with automation? Nothing. Every other healthcare worker has automation and some have much more than we do.
 

Even if you have more than one degree, you think you're going to get more pay just because of that? Hmmmpf... not in this capitalistic society. Wake up and smell the garbage....... for crying out loud. You'll get the job with the same pay as all the rest of us if not less (As salaries are dropping and a recruiter would try to get you at the lowest possible rate. Besides you can't negotiate salaries, if you don't like what they offer staffing companies will just hang up the phone on you.) because companies are trying to make MONEY just like me.


I don't think the poster is trying to say that have another advanced degree would equal more money, but that it would make you a better candidate for a position over just a regular PharmD. I mean if you are hiring a pharmacist and one also has an MBA or JD then I think that would be naturally the better choice, unless the person is just a complete robot or zombie in the interview. I would rather have a regular PharmD, then some supper book smart robot that says I can't substitute a 30g tube when the rx is written for 15g tube, because that is not what the rx says...........can not compute!! (tangent)
 
Yea...I decided to switch to computer science. The pay is lower but from what I am reading, the prospects are better. Both fields seem very appealing though...

Dumb idea?
 
Yea...I decided to switch to computer science. The pay is lower but from what I am reading, the prospects are better. Both fields seem very appealing though...

Dumb idea?
One of the pharmacists that I work with is considering leaving pharmacy for computer science or some kind of desk job related to computer science. Supposedly, the number of foreign visas in that field has been greatly reduced increasing domestic demand.
 
Thanks for pointing this out. Have you personally seen advanced degrees on top of a Pharm.D. help students? I just got accepted to a prestigious school and was planning on pursuing something like this. Either an MBA or MS. How do you think it will make a difference?

Don't do an MBA unless it is from a prestigious school. There's a glut of MBA graduates due to online MBA programs. Many of them can't find a decent paying jobs and are heavy in student loan debt.
 
I don't think the poster is trying to say that have another advanced degree would equal more money, but that it would make you a better candidate for a position over just a regular PharmD. I mean if you are hiring a pharmacist and one also has an MBA or JD then I think that would be naturally the better choice, unless the person is just a complete robot or zombie in the interview. I would rather have a regular PharmD, then some supper book smart robot that says I can't substitute a 30g tube when the rx is written for 15g tube, because that is not what the rx says...........can not compute!! (tangent)

Sooooooooo what you're trying to say is that you are the upper level robot that can...not.... compute... sent back in time to protect John Connor from OD'ing on triamcinolone 15g tubes.

Gotcha, now we're on the same page.
 
Don't do an MBA unless it is from a prestigious school. There's a glut of MBA graduates due to online MBA programs. Many of them can't find a decent paying jobs and are heavy in student loan debt.

there arent as many pharmd/mba

but there more and more coming.

i think a 2nd degree is overrated, experience is what matters
 
Sooooooooo what you're trying to say is that you are the upper level robot that can...not.... compute... sent back in time to protect John Connor from OD'ing on triamcinolone 15g tubes.

Gotcha, now we're on the same page.

Beep beep boop beep "Shouldn't we call the Dr. to make sure he is ok with us giving a 30 gram tube instead of 15 grams?" Beep beep boop beep

I work with a pharmacist like this..........shoot me. The worst is that I come into work after she has worked and there are baskets with notes in them like this

Her: Beep bop bleep boop "Can you verify this dosage the fax is not clear and the Dr's office was closed?" blop beep boop bop

Me: "But Mrs. Smith has been on lisinopril 20 mg for the past 12 years and it is the same Dr writing a years worth of meds" <meanwhile Mrs. Smith has stroked out waiting for us to verify her script......
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't do an MBA unless it is from a prestigious school. There's a glut of MBA graduates due to online MBA programs. Many of them can't find a decent paying jobs and are heavy in student loan debt.

GOOD advice.
So many mba grads these days from "where the heck is that" university. Doesn't really get yoyr foot in the door anywhere!
 
My boss at Wags said we aren't hiring this year in at least our market due to the PERX/ESI thing. I still don't graduate for a year but so much for holding an intern position giving you a leg up.

Sucks man, unfortunately it is looking like the only markets that are seriously hiring are going to rural markets.....🙁
 
thanks for getting back to my point!

that is pretty pathetic...you would think people would stop trying to get into pharm school since there are no jobs out there...it is amazing to me that people dont research their career decisions more thoroughy and extensively...

back to my original question...does anyone know of part time/per diem pharmacist positions that are available in the chicagoland area...pm me if you do pls....if you do i can possibly help out with some full time spots....i know of some openings in chicago...thanks again!!!


I am co/2012 and live in Chicagoland. I have received an offer letter pending licensure. It is a full-time position. So yes, it's possible to still land a job in Chicago.
 
I am co/2012 and live in Chicagoland. I have received an offer letter pending licensure. It is a full-time position. So yes, it's possible to still land a job in Chicago.

congrats. have a couple friends at my mid-western school that are begging to get a job there. if you dont mind me asking is it a full-time/part-time job?