Pharmacy job outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Pharmacists.htm#tab-6

I was looking at this federal website link and it says a quarter increase in job market for pharmacists in the next seven years at least. I really don't seem to find a correlation between what this site says and what the people have been whining about the recent job crisis.

Can someone point me out where I am being wrong?

Thanks 🙂
 
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Pharmacists.htm#tab-6

I was looking at this federal website link and it says a quarter increase in job market for pharmacists in the next seven years at least. I really don't seem to find a correlation between what this site says and what the people have been whining about the recent job crisis.

Can someone point me out where I am being wrong?

Thanks 🙂

Agreed. There will be a 25% increase in the number of pharmacist jobs over the next 10 years.

Please go and see the increase in pharmacy school enrollment over the last 5-10 years.

We do not know yet if the increase in pharmacy school enrollment will be greater than the number of new openings + retirements.

I will say this, we are approaching > 100% increase in graduates from the year 2000.


Edit: It's not fair to say there won't be "any" jobs. There will always be jobs. But if the supply >>>> demand we will see falling/stagnant salaries and 30-40% unemployment in our field. However, there is also a corollary. We do not want demand >>>> supply because if wages would rise to unsustainable amounts you would see mass attempts of the corporations/hospitals wanting higher responsibilities for the technicians, etc. The demand >>>> supply is what did in family practice docs and led to the rise of NP's.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.