Pharmacy jobs/internships in goverment?

Started by Elle928
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Elle928

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Besides the VA, NIH, and FDA, are there other pharmacy career options in government?

And how exactly does one go about getting a job or internship at one of these places? I have heard amazing things about the VA, and would love to intern there ( i am a P3) but i cant find how to apply for an internship. I tried to apply for an internship at the NIH, but for the most part they are all research based, and there is nothing for pharmacy ( at least not on their website or usajobs.gov). Im guessing they're hard to get unless you have connections?



Ive tried searching the threads, but wasnt able to find much. Any input is greatly appreciated! 🙂
 
Last edited:
You want a job in our government? We're broke. Unless you want a job with poor security, don't go that route.
 
You want a job in our government? We're broke. Unless you want a job with poor security, don't go that route.
Nah, government jobs are great. That's part of the reason we're broke. NY legislators are actually voting to give themselves a raise. Why not? They deserve it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You want a job in our government? We're broke. Unless you want a job with poor security, don't go that route.

My parents work for the government ( non health care related). The hours, benefits and working conditions are all great. So it is something that I am interested in looking into. 🙂
 
I actually am planning to try to get a government job in the long run with the FDA. Government jobs are the most secure jobs out there and like everyone else, the benefits, hours, and working conditions are great.

I actually have an internship within a government facility for the summer. CDC's Ferguson fellowship is intended for students with a focus on the public health field. It is funded by the CDC, but it is in conjunction with Johns Hopkins. I am in Baltimore, MD for the internship within the Department of Health. It is really exciting on what kind of programs are taken. We certainly need good healthcare professionals on government agencies or even maybe on the hill.
 
I actually am planning to try to get a government job in the long run with the FDA. Government jobs are the most secure jobs out there and like everyone else, the benefits, hours, and working conditions are great.

I actually have an internship within a government facility for the summer. CDC's Ferguson fellowship is intended for students with a focus on the public health field. It is funded by the CDC, but it is in conjunction with Johns Hopkins. I am in Baltimore, MD for the internship within the Department of Health. It is really exciting on what kind of programs are taken. We certainly need good healthcare professionals on government agencies or even maybe on the hill.

I will definitely look into the cdc ferguson fellowship! Just wondering, how did you find out about this internship? Im having alot of trouble actually finding internships/ open tech positions.
 
I actually am planning to try to get a government job in the long run with the FDA. Government jobs are the most secure jobs out there and like everyone else, the benefits, hours, and working conditions are great.

I actually have an internship within a government facility for the summer. CDC's Ferguson fellowship is intended for students with a focus on the public health field. It is funded by the CDC, but it is in conjunction with Johns Hopkins. I am in Baltimore, MD for the internship within the Department of Health. It is really exciting on what kind of programs are taken. We certainly need good healthcare professionals on government agencies or even maybe on the hill.

Hey I just PM'ed you, just fyi!
 
I will definitely look into the cdc ferguson fellowship! Just wondering, how did you find out about this internship? Im having alot of trouble actually finding internships/ open tech positions.

I found several internships by just looking for them. There are internships with Johns Hopkins, CDC, Target, local pharmacies, APhA and many others. If you want more info, just message me and we can talk.
 
Does anyone know what the odds would be of getting a VA position in IL or MI? I read a lot about Texas, but didn't see anything in regards to those states...

Is it pretty much impossible to get in with the VA without a ton of experience? When they look at your experience, do they consider time as a pharmacy tech along with years spent working as a pharmacist? Or do they not add in pharm tech experience?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am weighing whether or not I should try to get a position working as a pharm tech during my P1 year. If a person's primary focus is to apply for a residency, specialize in say pediatrics, then work part time in either a VA position, hospital, etc., and teach at a COP, would it be better to devote time towards research instead of putting time in as a pharm tech?

Or if say you wanted to work full time for the fed govt, or in a hospital, and decide not to take the residency/teaching route, would you be better off with the tech experience as opposed to research?

Again, I apologize for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I am making the best use of my time during pharmacy school as I can! Thanks for your help!
 
Last edited:
Is it pretty much impossible to get in with the VA without a ton of experience? When they look at your experience, do they consider time as a pharmacy tech along with years spent working as a pharmacist? Or do they not add in pharm tech experience?
In my experience, getting into a VA is a lot of work and mostly relies on networking.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am weighing whether or not I should try to get a position working as a pharm tech during my P1 year. If a person's primary focus is to apply for a residency, specialize in say pediatrics, then work part time in either a VA position, hospital, etc., and teach at a COP, would it be better to devote time towards research instead of putting time in as a pharm tech?

Or if say you wanted to work full time for the fed govt, or in a hospital, and decide not to take the residency/teaching route, would you be better off with the tech experience as opposed to research?

Again, I apologize for all the questions, but I just want to make sure I am making the best use of my time during pharmacy school as I can! Thanks for your help!
Find someone who does what you want to do. Shadow them, ensure you love it, make them your mentor!

Also, put 100% into everything you do and continue to take on as much responsibility (in all aspects of your education career) as you can until you can no longer add anything (trust me, when you hit the wall, you'll know as it will no longer be a question, you'll just know). My preceptor told me today that I was far ahead of my peers in development and clinical knowledge so I figure killing myself for the last couple years between two jobs and school must have worked! 👍