pharmacy licensing for different states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcfa002

UCSF SoP c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To acquire a license in different state, is it required to take a test for that particular state, or is it just an application process once you are a pharmacist?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You usually have to take just a law exam for each state. There are always exceptions to everything. Say if you work for the gov't or military, typically a state license anywhere will let you practice in any federal position anywhere internationally.

The NAPLEX is the national exam; it's the same whereever. The MJPE depends on the state. I'm from Illinois, and so, I'll take the Illinois one which will ask questions about the Illinois Pharmacy Practice Act.

Thanks for the reply
I just got certified by the PTCB, and I had to register in California as well to work here. I was just wondering if it was the sam

Thanks for the reply
I just got certified by the PTCB, and I had to register in California as well to work here. I was just wondering if it was the sam

No, it's not the same. PTCB certification is good for a number of states, including CA. Go to CA BOP (board of pharmacy) website for instructions on obtaining your Pharm Tech license.