Pharmacy Managers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CardinalGirl210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why do new grads aspire to be pharmacy managers and why do DMs like to put new grads as pharmacy managers? I just graduated 7 months - just getting my bearings as a pharmacist and now they want me to be a PIC. I did very well working as a staff pharmacist but the store that i'm taking over has staffing issues. I'm a little nervous...

Members don't see this ad.

1. Easier to make you do what they want
2. You probably have not realized the risk and liability involved with putting your name on the license
3. You likely still have a lot of debt, therefore see #1.

Staff pharmacist has about the same pay and a lot less BS and liability.

Reactions: 3 users
Why do new grads aspire to be pharmacy managers and why do DMs like to put new grads as pharmacy managers? I just graduated 7 months - just getting my bearings as a pharmacist and now they want me to be a PIC. I did very well working as a staff pharmacist but the store that i'm taking over has staffing issues. I'm a little nervous...

A lot of factors at play here. New/recent Grads tend to be young(er), willing to work hard(er), tend to be more dedicated, typically work faster, are more computer savvy and most importantly have large student loan burdens. The reason the student loan burden is important is because the bosses know we are more willing to put up with corporate BS and handle a PIC position because we literally can't afford to be unemployed. Of course these are generalities and there are also many cons to having a new/recent grad as a PIC, but I believe most DM's tend to think the pros outweigh the cons when you look at the big picture.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They are hoping you take the bait! One word ...DONT! Its not worth it. If you have debt, live POOR! You can become debt free!

Any DM would love to have 15-20 older pharmacists with proven track record as managers but that is not realistic. The turnover is high, in some chains more than others. PIC is higher risk position and when pharmacists get fired or quit, it tends to be PIC. I am going to use football terminology - next man up.

Also, it is much easier for DMs to hire staff pharmacists. Having a ton of debt and not knowing how to deal with your boss is a factor. It is kind of hard to say no, especially when they are not really asking, they are telling you that you will be next PIC.

Because new grads are the only suckers who will accept pharmacy managers positions without asking for too many concessions. I have yet to meet any pharmacist with at least five years under their belt who would be willing to become a manager. If they do take the job, they usually will have made quite a few demands before they have agreed.

Reactions: 1 users
Is no one here thinking about moving up beyond just the first rung on the ladder? Now admittedly I work hospital, but if I didn't go for pharmacy manager position out of residency I wouldn't have become a DOP.

Ambition shouldn't be stopped by the first obstacle you come across.

Reasons why dm likes it are stated well above ..

Reason to take it ... To be in control and for the $$ .. I asked for 4 weeks vacation and got that and a 12% raise + minimum bonus which is about 8% of salary . Making the schedule and controlling hiring is icing on the cake. Yeah you get blamed when things go wrong but you also get everyone else's credit when things go good.. which , when it happens , is basically cruise control. I'm putting in 45 hour weeks now to be able to kick back in a few years on cruise and then ultimately retire early.

Am I a sucker ? maybe , but I couldn't see myself working as staff in the long run under some idiot or dick manager

Is no one here thinking about moving up beyond just the first rung on the ladder? Now admittedly I work hospital, but if I didn't go for pharmacy manager position out of residency I wouldn't have become a DOP.

Ambition shouldn't be stopped by the first obstacle you come across.
it depends on your ultimate goal - a hospital is a very different world than retail (obviously we know it) - ironically I was a DOP 7 months after graduation - then choose to go back to staff Rph at a larger institution. Our managers make 10% more than me, and our direction, maybe 25% - figure out how much per hour? I probably make more. I made 10% last year in shift diff and overtime and still worked less total hours.

If you want it for the job satisfaction, that is one thing, but for the $$? Naw - not worth it

it depends on your ultimate goal - a hospital is a very different world than retail (obviously we know it) - ironically I was a DOP 7 months after graduation - then choose to go back to staff Rph at a larger institution. Our managers make 10% more than me, and our direction, maybe 25% - figure out how much per hour? I probably make more. I made 10% last year in shift diff and overtime and still worked less total hours.

If you want it for the job satisfaction, that is one thing, but for the $$? Naw - not worth it

Money alone is not necessarily worth the stress, but being able to set policy and literally be the final answer on helping the pharmacy run smoother is an underappreciated fringe benefit.

It feels good to solve a problem , increase business, be a resource , and get respect from your staff and customers..

Also job security .. if you do decent, your job is basically the most secure in the joint.. staff can be cut or replaced by central fill... Overnight could disappear when a store cuts operating hours ... Floaters, well they are first to go .. PIC .. if you succeed you are never going to be out of a job because legally there has to be a PIC and financially these corporations need strong PIC to make money. They don't necessarily *need* techs, staff, floaters, etc.

Not sure about that. I guess your company must work the DOP to death. But here I make $50k/yr more than my staff pharmacist. So I guess your milage may vary. The next rung up is the corporate pharmacy director. If I can reach that, I think that would satisfy my ambition... or not. LOL.

Not sure about that. I guess your company must work the DOP to death. But here I make $50k/yr more than. my staff pharmacist. So I guess your milage may vary. The next run up is the corporate pharmacy director. If I can reach that, I think that would satisfy my ambition... or not. LOL.
You work for a management company I presume? I used to do that, and if I stayed at my company I would have taken that route likely.

I can guarantee my director does not make that much more than me - and I can google the local academic university salaries as they are public knowledge, and they don't make 50k more than me, and they are bigger hospitals.

@type b pharmD - agree with you -the money is not worth the stress- and I get what you say, just not worth dealing with the employee drama - but I am glad some people want to! To each their own, and nothing wrong with that. For a new grad (like the original question asked) money is usually the driving factor, and that is usually not worth it,

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would never take a PIC position for a chain. I have friends who have been disciplined by the board of pharmacy because a staff pharmacist didn't counsel, because a tech was stealing controlled substances...pretty much if anything goes wrong, you are the fall guy. Your DM, your company is not going to have your back. That is how it works.

And for what? So you can make a few more dollars? So you can have a say in how the pharmacy is run? Do you think these things would matter 10 years from now?

Trying to climb the corporate ladder is also silly. At the end of the day, you are still an employee. You still have a boss and you won't be high enough to make any real decisions. You are just middle management and you are the first to be targeted when your corporate boss decides to make cuts. Look at where Walgreens is cutting.

My suggestion is to save and let your money work for you. It can be in stocks, it can in real estate. Do something that is not pharmacy related. Spend your youth wisely. Once it is gone, it is gone forever.

:)
You work for a management company I presume? I used to do that, and if I stayed at my company I would have taken that route likely.

I can guarantee my director does not make that much more than me - and I can google the local academic university salaries as they are public knowledge, and they don't make 50k more than me, and they are bigger hospitals.

@type b pharmD - agree with you -the money is not worth the stress- and I get what you say, just not worth dealing with the employee drama - but I am glad some people want to! To each their own, and nothing wrong with that. For a new grad (like the original question asked) money is usually the driving factor, and that is usually not worth it,

I work LTACH now. The base is about $15/hr more than staff + I get bonus. I do get called when something happens in the pharmacy but that's not often and I'm young enough. But that's more reason for me to climb higher. Once I make it to corporate pharmacy director, all of that shenanigans goes away and I just have to be willing to fly around the country. Mile high club anyone? Oh wait, I'm married... But it would be awesome if you are not.

Last edited:
BMBiology pretty much hit every point, the only thing I would add is that as a PIC you now get to experience being hounded by your boss for flu shots, MTM, script sales, and other things. I went into pharmacy to make a decent salary, have a stable job, and little stress. I'd take a pretty decent pay cut to NOT be the PIC.

There is a Chinese saying 先苦后甜,bitterness comes before sweetness。 I'm disappointed by what I sense here. How can this country stay ascendant if its people lack the ability to see further than what's in front of their noses? The Chinese people and government is plotting for 20-30 years on the horizon, and this lack of vision is the rest of the Americans can strive for?

^^ this country is great because of innovators, not because of middle management.

BMBiology pretty much hit every point, the only thing I would add is that as a PIC you now get to experience being hounded by your boss for flu shots, MTM, script sales, and other things. I went into pharmacy to make a decent salary, have a stable job, and little stress. I'd take a pretty decent pay cut to NOT be the PIC.

This depends highly on chain and store. PIC for Kroger or Safeway, easier than CVS by a long shot.

PIC of new store is gonna have it pretty tough to grow the business the way corporate wants .

New grad can't get PIC of elite store because those are cruise control positions where pic is making tons of money for very little work ... Ideally you would want a medium volume store with growth potential or a high volume turn around project , anything else and I would argue it's not worth the money. One new grad PIC in my district is busting his ass and failing to get his script count up ... If he can't hit his minimum target his store will be closed. It's not his fault, he just has a bad location. Also you never want to take over for a baller PIC because if you don't maintain those numbers, questions are going to be asked.

My advice would be , if you are truly insanely passionate about your company and retail pharmacy, and you aren't headed for a lose-lose situation, give it consideration. If you are just an average "awesome" staff Rph you need to decide if you want to dedicate a lot of your time and effort... The money would be easier to make just working OT.

If you have an aptitude for management and a good store opportunity and you know the corporate score , it can be a win win .. but you are gonna have a handful of big struggles no matter how plum your location is ... Whether it be clinical programs, Rph or tech staffing, volume, compliance, or budget cuts.. one of the above WILL happen, and if you aren't ready to be up at night thinking about solutions and giving(donating) your time to implement them, it isn't worth the money.

Also take a close look at your boss's track record .. is your store manager or DM a good guy who knows the score ? You will need to have each other's back when it comes to corporate , or it is all pointless in the end anyway . I am on the same page as my store manager and we run the pharmacy as a team even though he is technically my boss. From what I've heard this goes for CVS as well, if your DM is on your side, your life can be a lot easier than if they are just a corporate yes-man or chasing a promotion.

There is a Chinese saying 先苦后甜,bitterness comes before sweetness。 I'm disappointed by what I sense here. How can this country stay ascendant if its people lack the ability to see further than what's in front of their noses? The Chinese people and government is plotting for 20-30 years on the horizon, and this lack of vision is the rest of the Americans can strive for?

Xiphoid while I don't always agree with your Chinese perspectives on things I think in this thread you hit the nail on the head spot on ..

If you are just in this profession for an 'easy' job .. how are you gonna get satisfaction from the career ? If you don't seize control to build your destiny , you may soon find someone else has taken control or taken the job instead. If you are in retail PIC is the stepping stone to being an owner ... If you are in hospital it is the stepping stone to directorship and ultimately a cushy retirement .. if you want to actually be somewhere in 20 years you have to take one of the risky positions and succeed .. this pretty much holds true for any profession .

If you want to take the easy road ... Well so does everyone else .. and that makes you pretty darn replaceable.

In any profession there are the indispensable 'rainmakers' who are essential to the business. It's not middle management or ground troops. In pharmacy it is PIC and DOP.

This is were stratagem and knowing how to plan (beyond bust your butt) works. MBA might be overblown, but those who get it (not just passed) it have the ability think and plan accordingly, beyond tactics (day to day) but at an operation (hospital/district and strategic (corporate) level.

For example, I know when an corporate initiative is *cough*, but I would be the first to implement it. Am I stupid? No, but if it is to fail, I'll widely earn my voice when something can or can't be done without further resources, it is so! I established my credibility and my reputation to achieve what is possible vs. impossible, although it might be a foregone conclusion. But those without ambition or under me will be my pawns, until they earn their way up.

Meritocracy. Sorry, such is the cost of lack of vision and being a stepping stool. No pain, no gain. Live by the sword or die by it.

Last edited:
One reason people shy away from pharmacy management is because it is , like any management , a win or die scenario . Businesspeople and corporate bankers and investors understand risk vs reward very well.. pharmacists, not so much... If a pharmacist can't have 100% security they aren't going to touch it with a 10 ft pole . . And then when they do, they start micromanaging and getting all OCD and crazy stressed.

If you are a new grad , are you ready for win or die ? You will only find out when you ask yourself why you got into the field in the first place.

One thing my dad always told me ... If your career is your passion , you basically can never lose by taking risks ... . The meaning of which is , you may rise or fall but you will win personally in terms of growth , development, and enjoyment through your struggles. Most pharmacists I've met in retail, do not think this way, they are lower in passion and thus, risk averse... Which is one reason that demand for PIC usually is higher than supply.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hate to say it, but those who are the bottom rung are the pawns. Unless the corporate is out to de-layer management, the FTE is the first to feel the pressure, cause that's the biggest saving (unless the brass, is willing to work 27/7) is at. And that's where your tactile/operational level advantage is at. "Sir, you don't need me, all you have to do is take calls every district that calls you, and make up the schedule every weeks...etc....". Yeah, delayering is possible, but not acceptable to most american management, thank God for american laziness for making me look like a pig with lipstick on.

Wow, this is turning into quite the circle jerk!

Reactions: 1 users
:)

I work LTACH now. The base is about $15/hr more than staff + I get bonus. I do get called when something happens in the pharmacy but that's not often and I'm young enough. But that's more reason for me to climb higher. Once I make it to corporate pharmacy director, all of that shenanigans goes away and I just have to be willing to fly around the country. Mile high club anyone? Oh wait, I'm married... But it would be awesome if you are not.
This is completely different from retail. Would you still think being a PIC was worthwhile if you had to do EVERYTHING they do PLUS EVERYTHING you do and you only got $1 more per hour? I don't think taking a PIC position at CVS is a stepping stone to being an owner. It's just a lot of headache and unpaid meetings for $40 a week.

This is completely different from retail. Would you still think being a PIC was worthwhile if you had to do EVERYTHING they do PLUS EVERYTHING you do and you only got $1 more per hour? I don't think taking a PIC position at CVS is a stepping stone to being an owner. It's just a lot of headache and unpaid meetings for $40 a week.

I can only infer from a hospital manager to DOP stand point. If you don't cross the threshold, you can never get there. But unless CVS promote staff pharmacist to DM, bypassing PIC as a routine route of promotion, I would say "no pain no gain". C'mon people, if you have any ambition, think long term not just what's right in front of your nose.

I can only infer from a hospital manager to DOP stand point. If you don't cross the threshold, you can never get there. But unless CVS promote staff pharmacist to DM, bypassing PIC as a routine route of promotion, I would say "no pain no gain". C'mon people, if you have any ambition, think long term not just what's right in front of your nose.
I don't think the risk is worth it given the poor odds of an actual promotion. Also, I don't think most pharmacists strive to become middle management and subsequently interact only with patients who are threatening lawsuits. Remember: "no pain, no pain".

I don't think the risk is worth it given the poor odds of an actual promotion. Also, I don't think most pharmacists strive to become middle management and subsequently interact only with patients who are threatening lawsuits. Remember: "no pain, no pain".

One, evaluate yourself honestly. The one thing I like about America is that it is relatively fair about letting those with abilities rise to the top, meaning relatively meritocratic. No pain no gain, no gusts no glory. But I personally rather prefer sun tzu of war and stratum of the game go -- win via planning and the mind, without the need for bloodshed.

Last edited:
all depends on what your goals are.

I make a good salary, I bust my ass at work - always get great reviews, I have the desire to take care of patients and not deal with the drama of managing employees. If I want to make more money (hey - we all do) I pick up extra hours at my hospital or my second job. I take home more money than my boss, yes I have to work second shift every now and then, and work some weekends, but so does my boss, she just doesn't get paid for it,

It is all about what you want. We need those in charge and we need those than work in the trenches. If the salary difference was more, I would go for it. But I have been there, done that, and prefer my work life balance.

I have a friend who spend 300 nights last year in a hotel, he makes great money, but how long before his wife misses a warm body at night and goes looking elsewhere?

To add some detail, the store is a "busier" low volume chain store. They do about 150-200 during the week and 100 on the weekends, but have 2 full time techs and is staffed at all times. No working by myself. The 2 main techs are quitting though along with the current PIC...so basically I have to rebuild the team

Last edited:
To add some detail, I work for Target - the store is a "busier" Target. They do about 150-200 during the week and 100 on the weekends, but have 2 full time techs and is staffed at all times. No working by myself. The 2 main techs are quitting though along with the current PIC...so basically I have to rebuild the team

Why are the two main techs and the PIC quitting? You have to ask yourself what the heck is going on here????? Are they going to give you any trained techs are are you going to go in with 2 people off the street?

Why are the two main techs and the PIC quitting? You have to ask yourself what the heck is going on here????? Are they going to give you any trained techs are are you going to go in with 2 people off the street?

The PIC is moving. 1 of the techs is extremely close with the PIC and is just jumping ship to work for an independent. The other tech is moving down to part time because he got a job in a hospital that pays more. Both of the techs have been with the company over 8 years and have left before and returned. There are some HR issues with the staff pharmacist that my DM is handling. Basically I am trying to grab techs within the company from other stores that want to work full time so that I won't have to train anyone from the beginning. It's stressful - all of this is happening within the next week and I just found out the main techs want to quit.

The PIC is moving. 1 of the techs is extremely close with the PIC and is just jumping ship to work for an independent. The other tech is moving down to part time because he got a job in a hospital that pays more. Both of the techs have been with the company over 8 years and have left before and returned. There are some HR issues with the staff pharmacist that my DM is handling. Basically I am trying to grab techs within the company from other stores that want to work full time so that I won't have to train anyone from the beginning. It's stressful - all of this is happening within the next week and I just found out the main techs want to quit.

Just to play devil's advocate, the main techs may be quitting because they don't like your management style (assuming they have worked with you before) or they know something. People just don't leave a good job like that.

Don't take your DM's words. Always check. Talk to the previous PIC. Find out what is going on.

Just to play devil's advocate, the main techs may be quitting because they don't like your management style (assuming they have worked with you before).

Don't take your DM's words. Always check. Talk to the previous PIC. Find out what is going on.

I don't think that's the case - I've only worked at this store once as an RPH. I know exactly what's going on with the staff pharmacist because the current PIC told me and I informed the DM. The techs also don't like working with the staff pharmacist.

What is wrong with the staff pharmacist?

A lot of behavioral issues - Bad attitude, bad customer service, not doing the job. The techs are leaving because they were already frustrated but now that the PIC is leaving, they probably just want a new start and have no reason to stay. I get it - I don't blame them but it sucks! Why on earth they would choose to put me at this store when there are pharmacists that have 5 years experience available for stores?? I have no idea - my DM says I should be excited because it's a great team but the team is no longer there :/

Last edited:
Sounds like you're being set up for failure if they will not discipline or move the staff pharmacist.

Sounds like you're being set up for failure if they will not discipline or move the staff pharmacist.

My advice is to manage the staff pharmacist asap... and partner with the Sup to do it.

Money alone is not necessarily worth the stress, but being able to set policy and literally be the final answer on helping the pharmacy run smoother is an underappreciated fringe benefit.

It feels good to solve a problem , increase business, be a resource , and get respect from your staff and customers..

Also job security .. if you do decent, your job is basically the most secure in the joint.. staff can be cut or replaced by central fill... Overnight could disappear when a store cuts operating hours ... Floaters, well they are first to go .. PIC .. if you succeed you are never going to be out of a job because legally there has to be a PIC and financially these corporations need strong PIC to make money. They don't necessarily *need* techs, staff, floaters, etc.

This....

yes, I get compensated a lot more than my staff pharmacists... about 40k more. I also get more benefits that I wont mention because I do not want to out myself.

but the best part of being a pharmacy manager is being in control of a well run store, and developing people who turn to you as a mentor, friend, and as a resource.

The job security is another big plus. It is knowing that good pharmacy managers are hard to find, and that if I ever choose to get a job some where, having a resume of what I did, and people who know who I am, that is a good feeling.

I know that if I ever want to work for Rite Aid, Wags, etc... I will have a job even with the saturation in my market. Even more so, I know that there is a good chance they will match what I have now.

I sadly ate the bait and went for a pic position. 3 months later, Im quitting for an independent and taking my techs with me to the new job. **** you cvs!

I sadly ate the bait and went for a pic position. 3 months later, Im quitting for an independent and taking my techs with me to the new job. **** you cvs!

wouldn't it be funny if you are the person cardinalgirl is describing? ....

I doubt it, I hold a target pic position closer than a cvs staff position!

I would never take a PIC position for a chain. I have friends who have been disciplined by the board of pharmacy because a staff pharmacist didn't counsel, because a tech was stealing controlled substances...pretty much if anything goes wrong, you are the fall guy. Your DM, your company is not going to have your back. That is how it works.

And for what? So you can make a few more dollars? So you can have a say in how the pharmacy is run? Do you think these things would matter 10 years from now?

Trying to climb the corporate ladder is also silly. At the end of the day, you are still an employee. You still have a boss and you won't be high enough to make any real decisions. You are just middle management and you are the first to be targeted when your corporate boss decides to make cuts. Look at where Walgreens is cutting.

My suggestion is to save and let your money work for you. It can be in stocks, it can in real estate. Do something that is not pharmacy related. Spend your youth wisely. Once it is gone, it is gone forever.

That's not true . I'm a staff pharmacist and just got fined by the state board for not counseling. The store, my tech and I got in trouble but not the PIC. My pharmacy manager could care less and has never worked more hours than I do in any given pay period. We had the most difficult week in our store last month, our store was put on 2 years probation, our senior tech died in a car wreck and my PIC took the whole week off. I was the one at work heartbroken and forcing myself to counsel patients with swollen eyes from crying while my PIC was no where to be found.

A lot of behavioral issues - Staff RPh is going through a hard time personally and taking it out on customers. Bad attitude, bad customer service, not doing the job, and basically "venting" to the techs. Even has posted some crazy suicidal type stuff on Facebook - this has been going on for a while and no one in upper management knew until I got to the store a week ago and said something. The techs are leaving because they were already frustrated but were staying because they had a close relationship with the PIC, but now that the PIC is moving, they probably just want a new start and have no reason to stay. I get it - I don't blame them but it sucks! Why on earth they would choose to put me at this store when there are pharmacists that have 5 years experience available for stores?? I have no idea - my DM says I should be excited because it's a great team but the team is no longer there :/

How about you try to find out what's going on with the staff pharmacist? Invite her out for a coffee and basically find a way to build a good working relationship with him/her.
This is a challenge but if you already admit defeat how on earth will you succeed? Those techs are people too and you can equally have a close relationship with them.
I had a similar situation when I was sent to my present store as a floater to cover maternity leave. 2 weeks after I got there, the PIC who the techs had a close relationship with left and I was the only pharmacist there. I knew I had to win them over if I was going to be successful . 3 months later, I was the most important person in their lives. I came down to their level and built genuine friendship with them. They were free to talk to me about anything both work and personal . If I didn't make the impact I did in their lives, my miserable rxm would have taken me down since she took over the store. You can make the techs stay and you can put the team back how it was before. The team was awesome with the crazy staff pharmacist and will be awesome with you as well if you go about it the right away. I don't believe that the length of time one has been a pharmacist determines how successfully they can manage a store. Maybe they will be good at manipulating upper management but in actually doing the job, it's your desire and drive that will make you successful .

How about you try to find out what's going on with the staff pharmacist? Invite her out for a coffee and basically find a way to build a good working relationship with him/her.
This is a challenge but if you already admit defeat how on earth will you succeed? Those techs are people too and you can equally have a close relationship with them.
I had a similar situation when I was sent to my present store as a floater to cover maternity leave. 2 weeks after I got there, the PIC who the techs had a close relationship with left and I was the only pharmacist there. I knew I had to win them over if I was going to be successful . 3 months later, I was the most important person in their lives. I came down to their level and built genuine friendship with them. They were free to talk to me about anything both work and personal . If I didn't make the impact I did in their lives, my miserable rxm would have taken me down since she took over the store. You can make the techs stay and you can put the team back how it was before. The team was awesome with the crazy staff pharmacist and will be awesome with you as well if you go about it the right away. I don't believe that the length of time one has been a pharmacist determines how successfully they can manage a store. Maybe they will be good at manipulating upper management but in actually doing the job, it's your desire and drive that will make you successful .

I'll admit it, I do feel a little defeated so I need to change my attitude but I feel a little overwhelmed. The techs have already given their 2 weeks notice though so that's a done deal. I'm just going to make the best out of the new situation.

That's not true . I'm a staff pharmacist and just got fined by the state board for not counseling. The store, my tech and I got in trouble but not the PIC. My pharmacy manager could care less and has never worked more hours than I do in any given pay period. We had the most difficult week in our store last month, our store was put on 2 years probation, our senior tech died in a car wreck and my PIC took the whole week off. I was the one at work heartbroken and forcing myself to counsel patients with swollen eyes from crying while my PIC was no where to be found.

I never said as a staff pharmacist you can't get into trouble with the BOP for not doing your duty. My friend who is a PIC did get fine from the board because his staff pharmacist didn't counsel. Maybe because he was there when it happened.

Most CVS districts have 1-2 people in emerging leader program. They are obviously PICs and most of them tend to be <3 years with company to be noticed by their DM/Sup and put in this program. That is just my observation and there are exceptions. There are plenty of external hires for DM/Sup positions too.

CardinalGirl, I would not accept that PIC 'promotion' give the situation. If you have any say in the matter, wait until a better opportunity opens up. It is your DM's job to fluff this up and get you motivated. It is highly possible that you were not the first person who was offered this opportunity to fix the situation. I doubt they can even make it worth it for you financially. Maybe 2-4% bump in salary that the unpaid meetings will quickly take away. Just look at the facts. You need to replace 60-80 hours of high quality tech help on short notice.

I never said as a staff pharmacist you can't get into trouble with the BOP for not doing your duty. My friend who is a PIC did get fine from the board because his staff pharmacist didn't counsel. Maybe because he was there when it happened.

Not in my state... only the pharmacist on record gets in trouble. We utilize barcode system and the pharmacist whose barcode was scanned is the only pharmacist that gets in trouble. There are other things a PIC will get in trouble for like allowing your techs to work with expired license and stuff like that.

Just an update - the staff RPH was let go and most of the techs are gone too so I'm building a whole new team now and I got a 7% raise

Reactions: 2 users
Just an update - the staff RPH was let go and most of the techs are gone too so I'm building a whole new team now and I got a 7% raise

Did you request for the staff pharmacist to be fired?
Don't be afraid to build a new team. Be fair and lead by example. Good luck!