Pharmacy or Anesthesiologist Assistant????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremedicalsavior

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right thread to be posting this but I need help with choosing a career. I am currently a high school student (not sure if that matters or not) with a 4.3 GPA. Im deeply interested in pursuing pharmacy or a career as an anesthesiologist assistant, but im not really sure on what to take. They both require about the same amount of years of schooling and pay about the same. Can someone please help, like list the pros and cons for both that can help decide

Thank you, much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy cons:
Won't have a job when you graduate. Google "pharmacy saturation"

Reactions: 2 users
Pharmacy cons:
Won't have a job when you graduate. Google "pharmacy saturation"
I've read up on that topic and it persuaded me to lean more towards becoming an anesthesiologist assistant. I am, however, still keeping my options open for pharmacy, but I won't graduate until 2020, and I won't finish college until 2027 if i pursue pharmacy, assuming I finish in 7 years. What I am most worried about is how would a pharmaceutical career be like by the time I graduate, based on recent issues on pharmacy saturation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read up on that topic and it persuaded me to lean more towards becoming an anesthesiologist assistant. I am, however, still keeping my options open for pharmacy, but I won't graduate until 2020, and I won't finish college until 2027 if i pursue pharmacy, assuming I finish in 7 years. What I am most worried about is how would a pharmaceutical career be like by the time I graduate, based on recent issues on pharmacy saturation.
Nobody can predict a job market that far in the future. You're young kid keep your options wide open.

Reactions: 1 user
I looked into AA and there is only 11 states you can practice in. Would you be ok with those states? I would suggest going into nursing>>>CRNA because you would be able to go anywhere in the country with your certification. Just a thought to think about...

Reactions: 1 users

I graduate in 2019!!!

Reactions: 1 user
There is a saturation of pharmacists, but pharmaceuticals will remain booming. They are the big guys that control a good portion of health care. The hard part is whether or not you can get a career in it. Industry is more competitive to enter than retail, but there is greater opportunity for growth. Some pharmacists I know work in various fields of pharmaceuticals, like research, medication safety and medical writing. They live less stressful lives, but they have the dream jobs that few people can obtain.

Although AA sounds nice, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to practice in the given states that they are allowed to work. A more flexible option is probably a PA or nursing.

Reactions: 1 users