Pharmacy or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifehappens798

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure whether being a pharmacist is actually right for me since I do not like tedious work. When all else fails, what does a pharmacist usually do after?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Become unemployed and default on your $200k+ in loans.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Let me tell you as I see it. Don't let the trolls here dictate your decisions.
1) If you don't like tedious work. DON'T WORK IN HEALTH CARE. Every career in health care is tedious. Nursing, medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, optometry, vet, etc. I know people from all of these fields. NO ONE says job is nice and easy all the time. Besides private clinics, you may have to work holidays, weekends, and overtime nowadays. If you're not working with patients, you're working with paperwork. And the thought that you might hurt someone is enough stress. Nursing is stressful work with a lower pay, Medicine takes a hell of a lot of money, time and responsibility. Dentistry is a lot of money and time in school. Pharmacy can be a toll, especially in this market.
2) Yes, pharmacy is becoming saturated. Who is it to blame? New cash-cow pharmacy schools who accept anyone willing to pay $35k+/yr and a 'doctor' degree.
3) Think about it carefully. Pharmacy is a big investment of your time and money. Build connections, or be like anyone else in the job market. Unemployed. What's worse? Being unemployed with $100k+ in debt that compounding interest. The top will make it. The bottom will suffer. If you're interested in finances, business, compsci, etc., do that.

Reactions: 2 users
When I had doubts about being a pharmacist, I tried asking myself why I wanted this career to begin with. If you have a true reason and a passion for it you will make it. You don't have to necessarily work at a retail pharmacy, there are so many different fields within pharmacy. Try looking into what you can do with a PharmD.

When I had doubts about being a pharmacist, I tried asking myself why I wanted this career to begin with. If you have a true reason and a passion for it you will make it. You don't have to necessarily work at a retail pharmacy, there are so many different fields within pharmacy. Try looking into what you can do with a PharmD.
True, but the vast majority of the jobs are still in retail. Everyone wants the non-retail jobs so they're very difficult to land; that and/or you would be taking a significant paycut amid astronomical student loans to pay off.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

You can work as a clinical pharmacist. Or involve in Industries conducting Clinical Trials

Rx is tedious, and what makes it worse are those students who fall into "depression" about choosing pharmacy and then just make it worse for everyone. So honestly, if you love pharmacy then go for it, but 4 years is a long time to spend financially and academically, and like someone mentioned earlier, all health care is tedious. But it's like anything else, it becomes less tedious if you really understand what you are doing. If you know the drugs and pharmacology etc. But I will tell you that with the enormous amount of schools that even professors are feeling the pressures and just make Rx school not an optimal environment. You'll be much happier in a 2 year PA program and probably be less likely to lose your mind.

*edit: if you're smart enough to become a pharmacist though, you're probably clever enough to find a way to use your degree. there's geriatric, clinical etc... but like someone said, the majority is retail

I am not sure whether being a pharmacist is actually right for me since I do not like tedious work. When all else fails, what does a pharmacist usually do after?
I know a few pharmacy grads that after being unable to find a job moved back home, defaulted on their 200,000+ USD loans and just drink and play LoL, DOTA and overwatch (video games) all day. My one friend who just finished his PGY1 was telling me excitedly about the new updates to Player unknown Battlegrounds (video game). He has mental illness (depression, anxiety, autism ) so he is trying to get on government disability. He also had to move back home and mostly eats rice (he buys in 50 lb bags) and black beans and his retired parents take him out to eat pretty often and support him. He also has two cats that he is responsible for.

So ig u don't go to jail if you like are unable to find work and don't pay your loans. So early "retirement" aka unemployment is an option. Another friend worked per-diem as a floater in Tampa then lost that gig and now he works at Walmart in the electronics division and is in the pay-as-you-earn program.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your question though. It was pretty vague

Last edited:
I know a few pharmacy grads that after being unable to find a job moved back home, defaulted on their 200,000+ USD loans and just drink and play LoL, DOTA and overwatch (video games) all day. My one friend who just finished his PGY1 was telling me excitedly about the new updates to Player unknown Battlegrounds (video game). He has mental illness (depression, anxiety, autism ) so he is trying to get on government disability. He also had to move back home and mostly eats rice (he buys in 50 lb bags) and black beans and his retired parents take him out to eat pretty often and support him. He also has two cats that he is responsible for.

So ig u don't go to jail if you like are unable to find work and don't pay your loans. So early "retirement" aka unemployment is an option. Another friend worked per-diem as a floater in Tampa then lost that gig and now he works at Walmart in the electronics division and is in the pay-as-you-earn program.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your question though. It was pretty vague

Is the Walmart guy still applying to pharmacist jobs, or is he planning on going back to school to do something else?

Is the Walmart guy still applying to pharmacist jobs, or is he planning on going back to school to do something else?
He has given up on pharmacy; it's too competitive for him. His gap in work has made him nearly unemployable. He actually just broke his collar bone today biking down his parents driveway in a crash. So hopefully he will be able to collect unemployment for 6 months.

there are good and bad students. it's actually ridiculous, those who totally depend on old exams and skip class and straight up fraternize. they are there. unfortunately this has led to medication errors/opioid epidemic. kind of wish that people in prof school would take it more seriously once the school spits them back out

Last edited:
He has given up on pharmacy; it's too competitive for him. His gap in work has made him nearly unemployable. He actually just broke his collar bone today biking down his parents driveway in a crash. So hopefully he will be able to collect unemployment for 6 months.

Wow, that sucks. It's crazy to think that people are spending 4 years in school, going several hundred thousand dollars in debt, and then being forced to work a job they could've done without taking a single college course. Does your friend have any plans for when the unemployment payments dry up? Sounds like he's just taking it one step at a time.

Wow, that sucks. It's crazy to think that people are spending 4 years in school, going several hundred thousand dollars in debt, and then being forced to work a job they could've done without taking a single college course. Does your friend have any plans for when the unemployment payments dry up? Sounds like he's just taking it one step at a time.

4 years in school, 200k debt to be entered in the job lottery with low odds. Now that is what i would call...crazy.

I mean he's certainly not the only one with a college degree that is underemployed . He doesn't know. But if he's like some of my other friends in similar situations he will probably just continue to live with his parents and just default on his student loans.