Apr 7, 2010
Status
Hey guys, im new :)

I was wondering if I can still be eligible to transfer into a pharmacy school if my major isn't prepharm?

I plan to go to UCLA and major in something dealing with science, while taking the required classes for, let's say, USC's pharmacy school, then apply for it.

Is that ok? Or do i have to go into a college that has prepharm in order to be eligible for pharmacy school?

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
There is no such thing (to my knowledge) as a pre-pharm major. In order to be eligible for pharmacy school acceptance, you have three options:

1. Apply to a 0-6 program. Students apply when they are still in high school, and if accepted, they will complete two years of pre-reqs and be automatically eligible for acceptance into their first year of pharmacy school.

2. Go to a traditional undergrad institution for two years, complete your pre-reqs, take the PCAT, and apply to pharmacy schools that accept non-degree holding students. Keep in mind that this is very difficult to do.

3. Complete a bachelors degree in whatever major you want, take the PCAT, and apply to pharmacy schools. This is the traditional method.

What you suggested is fine, but remember that you can major in whatever you want as long as you satisfy pharmacy school pre-reqs and get a competative PCAT score.

delano2000

D-Mod likes to parTAY
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
Texas
Status
Pharmacist
There is no such thing (to my knowledge) as a pre-pharm major. In order to be eligible for pharmacy school acceptance, you have three options:

1. Apply to a 0-6 program. Students apply when they are still in high school, and if accepted, they will complete two years of pre-reqs and be automatically eligible for acceptance into their first year of pharmacy school.

2. Go to a traditional undergrad institution for two years, complete your pre-reqs, take the PCAT, and apply to pharmacy schools that accept non-degree holding students. Keep in mind that this is very difficult to do.

3. Complete a bachelors degree in whatever major you want, take the PCAT, and apply to pharmacy schools. This is the traditional method.

What you suggested is fine, but remember that you can major in whatever you want as long as you satisfy pharmacy school pre-reqs and get a competative PCAT score.

:thumbup:

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you both for clarifying that!

Do you guys happen to know how difficult the PCAT is?
It really depends on the student. I'm sure people have breezed right through it like nothing, and just the same, there are many people who struggle with it. I have not taken it personally, but you can expect it to be a challenge.