Pharmacy school chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A.M.RX

Reaction score
What are my chances? I had to retake multiple classes I didn’t get a “C” in. I have a few “D”s on my transcript :( but retook and got a “B” for the most part. No degree either.

PCAT 55
Cumulative GPA 2.49
Pharmcas GPA 2.09
3 years working as a pharmacy tech
PTCB certified

Applying to schools such as Midwestern/Rosalind Franklin/Roosevelt

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

All you need is a pulse and eligibility to take out $200k+ in loans to get into pharmacy school. Have you not read any of the other threads in this sub?

I also recommend checking out the “job market” subforum before you commit to 4 years to study a useless degree.

Reactions: 4 users
What are my chances? I had to retake multiple classes I didn’t get a “C” in. I have a few “D”s on my transcript :( but retook and got a “B” for the most part. No degree either.

PCAT 55
Cumulative GPA 2.49
Pharmcas GPA 2.09
PTCB certified

Thanks!!

Although newer programs (even those still in candidate status) have relaxed their minimal standards more so than others over the past decade, those stats are still well below par. I know the inside consensus of pharmacy acceptance is a pulse and pulling loans, but your chances are not that great for any program.

I’ll be forward with this as well: should you by some metric chance able to get in to a candidate status program due to open seats, you would fail within the first semester or two. Despite acceptances, the schooling itself is rigorous for sub-par students and “below.”

Find out your study pattern and answer why the grades. If you honestly don’t know, I’d suggest choosing another field outside of healthcare. It may serve you well and lead you to better opportunities for your new chosen career.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All you need is a pulse and eligibility to take out $200k+ in loans to get into pharmacy school. Have you not read any of the other threads in this sub?

I also recommend checking out the “job market” subforum before you commit to 4 years to study a useless degree.

Wouldnt call it useless but its getting dangerously close to obsolete. Look elsewhere. Go become a chef. Get a statistics degree. Much better outcome for the future. I promise.

Wouldnt call it useless but its getting dangerously close to obsolete. Look elsewhere. Go become a chef. Get a statistics degree. Much better outcome for the future. I promise.
I would suggest going outside of the states to become a chef. Or pharmacy but pharmacy out of the country pays very low and only takes the best students for free tuition

PCAT 55
Cumulative GPA 2.49
Pharmcas GPA 2.09
PTCB certified

Thanks!!

Pharmacy schools will take you, they just want your 200k tuition. But how will you pay that back when current pharmacists are losing their jobs?

I think I read that 15 years ago 30% of applicants got into pharmacy school. Now it's 85-90%. Some schools are dropping requirements like PCAT; you literally only have to pay the steep tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
I think I read that 15 years ago 30% of applicants got into pharmacy school. Now it's 85-90%. Some schools are dropping requirements like PCAT; you literally only have to pay the steep tuition.

Wondering if anyone who had to reapply the following cycle because they didn't get into a pharmacy school...90% acceptance rate is ridiculous and not surprised to hear because even people with criminal history get accepted into one of those new pharmacy schools...

15 years ago, pharmacy school was very difficult to get into but once you graduated all you needed was a license and a pulse to land just about any job in any city.

Fast forward to today, all you need to get into a pharmacy school is a pulse and $200k+ in student loans.

you would fail within the first semester or two.

Eh. I don't know about that, seems like the newer schools are in easy mode. Even when I was in school I was kicking myself for trying so hard to get into a rigorous program when basically any pharmacist with a license is the same anywhere. Could have had a much smoother 4 years.

Eh. I don't know about that, seems like the newer schools are in easy mode. Even when I was in school I was kicking myself for trying so hard to get into a rigorous program when basically any pharmacist with a license is the same anywhere. Could have had a much smoother 4 years.

I'll have to take peoples word on the new programs. If they are considered easy mode for below par 2.2 gpa students, then that's a whole new can of worms to discuss from students in that category.

Honestly, I think you will have no trouble getting admitted. But like others have said, it's extremely unlikely you would graduate, or if you did, be able to pass the NAPLEX. While some pharmacy schools are still selective, if you don't care about the amount of debt required, there will be a for-profit school somewhere who will accept you. However, pharmacy school is still hard (yes, people on here talk about how easy it is, in comparison to other professional degrees of Ph.D.s)....but pharmacy school is still very hard when compared to undergraduate courses. For you to have struggled that much with undergraduate courses, going to pharmacy school is almost a guarantee of getting nothing but debt and no degree. Search on here, and there are plenty of stories about other poor students who flunked out of pharmacy school, or were pushed through and given a degree, but then they couldn't pass the NAPLEX to actually get their license.

Not being able to pass the Naplex while graduating from pharmacy school with a $200,000 student loan debt is the worst case scenario. I would avoid applying to new schools especially the ones that aren’t fully accredited.