This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torachan17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to Howard University Class of 2022 in Washington DC. In addition I have at interview at Creighton University in Nebraska (applied to the long distance program). Still going to the interview, but in case I get accepted there also. Which school is better? I chose to apply to the distance program because housing expensive, since I'm from out of state and DC is an expensive city to live in. However I'm a bit skeptical because if I don't choose Howard I feel like I might be missing out on new experiences and the networking opportunities won't be the same if I study my degree online. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Neither - especially if it costs more than 20K tuition a year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Most of the schools I've applied have more than 20K tuition. I was going to apply to USF who have 19K but they have a bad reputation...

Which schools are less than 20k/year these days? The schools that were that cost four years ago seem to be above that price now. Times are changing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

20k a year? probably only out-of-country schools or some schools in texas now can go that low.

basically no pharmacy schools, period

Here's what is meant by this post: Don't go to pharmacy school - PERIOD. Find another major.

Hi.
I am currently in my last week of finals ever at Creighton University! I am starting my APPE rotations in three weeks and I am super excited.
I am a distance student and I am so thrilled with my whole experience at Creighton. Although I was accepted to 2 local schools, I chose Creighton for a few reasons. A) the flexibility the distance program offers (i was able to live in a place best for my family, not be tied down for 4 years, take a day off if my kids were sick, put up dinner/ do laundry between classes etc.) Obviously, not everyone is in my situation, but about 2/3 of my class are married with children and not uprooting their family is a big deciding factor. B) Creighton is constantly in the top 25 schools (my local ones are about 75 and 120) and I can tell why. Local preceptors here are constantly amazed at how much I know and how we are given skills that many schools do not focus on C) They have the distance education thing down to a science- We have academic advisers on a 1:2 or 3 ratio, academic success counselors, wonderful IT support, and many ways of integrating the distance students (for example, we do live patient cases and presentations over Zoom every week, have group projects etc.). As a distance student, I even had the opportunity to be on the leadership teams of some of the student organizations. D) they are tremendously respectful of all religions and very sensitive and caring when it comes to helping you through a rough time. E) if you're worried about not knowing anyone, don't. Those days spent on campus are a real bonding experience. People make friends fast! Hours a day for 1-2 weeks straight will do that!!!

And here is the honest downside: A) If you can't learn to adapt your learning style to watching lectures on your computer, it wont work. B) If you view it as "online college" that wont work either. Our assignment deadlines are the same as the campus students. It is SOOO easy to fall behind and feel like you are drowning. You need to be motivated enough to set fixed schedules for the most part. C) I won't lie, finding APPEs was a NIGHTMARE! Yes, distance students have to find their own rotations :-( But that is because I live in a place that has about 500 pharmacy students on rotations. All the local hospitals have exclusivity agreements. But i persevered and have all 8 set up (not exactly my first choice option, but they'll work)

I'd be happy to answer any specifics...
Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! I sent you a private mesaage with some questions and concerns I have.
Hi.
I am currently in my last week of finals ever at Creighton University! I am starting my APPE rotations in three weeks and I am super excited.
I am a distance student and I am so thrilled with my whole experience at Creighton. Although I was accepted to 2 local schools, I chose Creighton for a few reasons. A) the flexibility the distance program offers (i was able to live in a place best for my family, not be tied down for 4 years, take a day off if my kids were sick, put up dinner/ do laundry between classes etc.) Obviously, not everyone is in my situation, but about 2/3 of my class are married with children and not uprooting their family is a big deciding factor. B) Creighton is constantly in the top 25 schools (my local ones are about 75 and 120) and I can tell why. Local preceptors here are constantly amazed at how much I know and how we are given skills that many schools do not focus on C) They have the distance education thing down to a science- We have academic advisers on a 1:2 or 3 ratio, academic success counselors, wonderful IT support, and many ways of integrating the distance students (for example, we do live patient cases and presentations over Zoom every week, have group projects etc.). As a distance student, I even had the opportunity to be on the leadership teams of some of the student organizations. D) they are tremendously respectful of all religions and very sensitive and caring when it comes to helping you through a rough time. E) if you're worried about not knowing anyone, don't. Those days spent on campus are a real bonding experience. People make friends fast! Hours a day for 1-2 weeks straight will do that!!!

And here is the honest downside: A) If you can't learn to adapt your learning style to watching lectures on your computer, it wont work. B) If you view it as "online college" that wont work either. Our assignment deadlines are the same as the campus students. It is SOOO easy to fall behind and feel like you are drowning. You need to be motivated enough to set fixed schedules for the most part. C) I won't lie, finding APPEs was a NIGHTMARE! Yes, distance students have to find their own rotations :-( But that is because I live in a place that has about 500 pharmacy students on rotations. All the local hospitals have exclusivity agreements. But i persevered and have all 8 set up (not exactly my first choice option, but they'll work)

I'd be happy to answer any specifics...
Good luck

Neither. I would quit now while you're ahead. Jobs will be few and far in-between. That and declining wages, store closures, consolidations, new schools/increasing class sizes like the plaque, and over $200K loan burden makes for a disastrous combination.

Reactions: 7 users
Neither. I would quit now while you're ahead. Jobs will be few and far in-between. That and declining wages, store closures, consolidations, new schools/increasing class sizes like the plaque, and over $200K loan burden makes for a disastrous combination.
So far this best advice in this thread. OP, I would highly recommend looking into data science.

Reactions: 1 users
what state are you a resident off? basically your best school if you want to go to pharmacy is the state school in which you can pay in-state tuition

schools under or near 20k? (based off a quick google search
florida a&M
Montana
texas a&m - only 12k

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
what state are you a resident off? basically your best school if you want to go to pharmacy is the state school in which you can pay in-state tuition

schools under or near 20k? (based off a quick google search
florida a&M
Montana
texas a&m - only 12k
I'm a resident of Puerto Rico, I did not get accepted to schools here, this is why I applied to schools in the US.

So far this best advice in this thread. OP, I would highly recommend looking into data science.

notice how OP ignored both you and ACE_Dx’s warnings about not going to pharmacy school. this is the same thing that happens when you go to pre-pharm forums and warn them about their doom. they just kinda look at you for a second and then proceed on with their conversations about crappy gpa and pcat scores and their chances of getting accepted to pharmacy school.

The cost of living is a major decision. DC is insanely expensive and pharmacist salaries are not compensated enough to offset the cost of living in a major city. How much debt do you want to deal with is the major question. I would wait and apply to a state school.

Make sure you look closely at Creighton Tuition. It bumps up to 56k from 38k in the final year -- almost double that of Howard (28k from FAQ page). Other people have said it, but as a recent new grad, I am much less stressed than a lot of my peers after living at home and going to the state university in my area. Hopefully Creighton gives a decent amount of scholarships.

Make sure you look closely at Creighton Tuition. It bumps up to 56k from 38k in the final year -- almost double that of Howard (28k from FAQ page). Other people have said it, but as a recent new grad, I am much less stressed than a lot of my peers after living at home and going to the state university in my area. Hopefully Creighton gives a decent amount of scholarships.

Both of my accepted schools are out of state.

I did not get into Creighton, so it's between Howard and NOVA for now..

I did not get into Creighton, so it's between Howard and NOVA for now..

I can’t believe you did not get in. You were very confident and looked like you would get it. Which one is cheaper? I pmed you

Last edited:
I got accepted to Howard University Class of 2022 in Washington DC. In addition I have at interview at Creighton University in Nebraska (applied to the long distance program). Still going to the interview, but in case I get accepted there also. Which school is better? I chose to apply to the distance program because housing expensive, since I'm from out of state and DC is an expensive city to live in. However I'm a bit skeptical because if I don't choose Howard I feel like I might be missing out on new experiences and the networking opportunities won't be the same if I study my degree online. Any thoughts would be appreciated
You are about 15 years too late to be entering this profession. You need to really assess if pharmacy is right for you.

Yes. Look into App Academy or lamda school. App academy is a 3 month program and their average starting salary is 101,000 USD for their graduates. THREE MONTHS vs 72 months.

Yes. Look into App Academy or lamda school. App academy is a 3 month program and their average starting salary is 101,000 USD for their graduates. THREE MONTHS vs 72 months.

3 months and $10k in tuition
vs
4 years and $200k in tuition

Yes if any student have dental problem so you can visit Tijuana Dental Clinic comes to the aid in regaining lost smiles of each patient. you call for help (619) 906-7481.

3 months and $10k in tuition
vs
4 years and $200k in tuition
Actually believe it or not the tuition is 0.00 USD at App Academy (my friend is in it now). You only have to pay if you get a job paying more than 50,000 USD a year. And then the tuition is 17% of your salary for two years. So you pay nothing if you don't get a high paying job.