This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

japas21

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yup your pharmacist is correct if you plan on working in the community, ambulatory care is going to be beyond difficult to find a job in cali... (even community apparently now)

might as well try to save some money and go to a school that is much lesser in tuition fees imo

There is little to no benefit in going to a CA school, especially the new ones. They are far overpriced. Even if you do go to one, you will most likely be forced to find a job out of state or out in the middle of nowhere (i.e. Redding, Eureka, Crescent City, etc).

I would say yourself the $200k+ in loans and 4 additional years of schooling and study computer science, engineering, finance, or accounting instead. These jobs are in very high demand especially in California, meaning that you will actually be able to stay in state if you go into these professions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is little to no benefit in going to a CA school, especially the new ones. They are far overpriced. Even if you do go to one, you will most likely be forced to find a job out of state or out in the middle of nowhere (i.e. Redding, Eureka, Crescent City, etc).

I would say yourself the $200k+ in loans and 4 additional years of schooling and study computer science, engineering, finance, or accounting instead. These jobs are in very high demand especially in California, meaning that you will actually be able to stay in state if you go into these professions.
Thanks for the advice! I think I did come across to a similar post as yours advising alternative career routes but I have no background other than health field/pharmacy school prerequisites. Pharmacy has really been something iv been wanting to do for many years now...

Thanks for the advice! I think I did come across to a similar post as yours advising alternative career routes but I have no background other than health field/pharmacy school prerequisites. Pharmacy has really been something iv been wanting to do for many years now...

Pharmacy has changed vastly since you became interested, and it is mostly not for the better. Had these changes been in place since you wanted to do pharmacy, would you have gone into the field?

1) Too many pharmacy schools opening
2) Mergers and acquisitions (Walgreens + Rite Aid, CVS + Target) leads to fewer jobs and busier pharmacies
3) Little to no growth of MTM and provider status as pharmacy schools have been advertising
4) Tech hour cuts and more responsibilities with no additional help
5) Insurance reimbursements of meds in both retail + hospital are decreasing
6) Pharmacy school tuition keeps skyrocketing

Reactions: 1 user