Pharmacy School or Law School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Damn and I thought we had an advantage for a second there! :(

Nope. Asians are awesome at anything scholastic.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. Asians are awesome at anything scholastic.

We just have crazy parents! LOL...I still remember my mom getting mad at me and telling me my life is over if I ever make anything less than a 93 on any exam (and I was only in the 2nd grade)! :laugh:

My wife went to a Top 50 law school, and actually had acceptances to a couple Top 20 so she was competitive.... and still had a tough time finding a decent job after graduation. Of course we were a little limited geographically so that didn't help, but the market was still horrible. She had a few classmates who went straight into good paying private firm jobs, but they had previously clerked there and they had crappy schedules and large workload just starting off.

And like others have said there is a WIDE range of salary. The typical/avg law student is not going to make what a pharmacist makes coming out of school. The only exception may be the very top tier schools that pretty much funnel self selected students into large private firms, but it's certainly not a guaranteed salary.

I don't know, they are very different fields in my mind. I would be bored as hell in law school and doing what my wife does, not even sure I could get through law school. I guess one advantage to law is the variety of jobs & fields you could possibly go into.... private firm, gov't work, criminal, civil, patent, tax, teaching, etc....

Members don't see this ad :)
From the Top 50 (Anything lower than UIUC/UMN/WUSTL around 20th) and you need to finish in the top ~10% of your class in order to get a "good" job. Hell, even for my wife, there'll be a hard time finding immediate employment unless she gets a nice 2L gig (we'll know by March!)

From the Top 50 (Anything lower than UIUC/UMN/WUSTL around 20th) and you need to finish in the top ~10% of your class in order to get a "good" job. Hell, even for my wife, there'll be a hard time finding immediate employment unless she gets a nice 2L gig (we'll know by March!)

Yea, most of the ones we know who got the good private gigs had done a 2L internship there.

And then there's all the Law Review, Moot Court and other academic stuff that you should be involved with to be competitive.

Yea, most of the ones we know who got the good private gigs had done a 2L internship there.

And then there's all the Law Review, Moot Court and other academic stuff that you should be involved with to be competitive.

Yeppers... All in all from my exp., it's much more difficult than pharmacy school altogether. Indeed, when it comes to the real world, our jobs have a bigger responsibility, but in terms of the academics, we have it so easy. The PCAT was a joke, admissions was easy and transparent and fast, and I love the school. It's so much better than her 1L year, at least 50% less time input, and way less stress. All in all, they're polar opposites.

Yeppers... All in all from my exp., it's much more difficult than pharmacy school altogether. Indeed, when it comes to the real world, our jobs have a bigger responsibility, but in terms of the academics, we have it so easy. The PCAT was a joke, admissions was easy and transparent and fast, and I love the school. It's so much better than her 1L year, at least 50% less time input, and way less stress. All in all, they're polar opposites.

Another reason I'm glad I chose the path I did. What do you think about supplementing the PharmD with a non-Tier 1 JD? Is it worth the time?

We just have crazy parents! LOL...I still remember my mom getting mad at me and telling me my life is over if I ever make anything less than a 93 on any exam (and I was only in the 2nd grade)! :laugh:

qt9qX.jpg

Another reason I'm glad I chose the path I did. What do you think about supplementing the PharmD with a non-Tier 1 JD? Is it worth the time?

I think it is, yeah. Reason being is that it's a supplement to an amazingly flexible degree and opens you up for higher level administration jobs and jobs in different sectors. I suspect you'd be a shoo-in for a DoP job if you have a JD in something pertinent (Think Health Law...) and spend time getting experience and connections. This is ESPECIALLY cogent if you're going to work where, or near, you're going to school.

But no matter where you go, people will see the Pharm.D first, and that'll be your primary opportunity maker IMO. The JD will be icing on the cake. Tarryn is in class with a couple double-degree'ers, including a DDS.

In this market, you might as well make yourself really competitive. I've learned a lot just listening to her talk and hanging out with her friends (and I use hanging out really loosely... law students don't hang out in a traditional sense).

So the main point will be regionality. If you're going to use the JD where you're getting it from, or nearby, it's definitely a good investment.

When I got my first "F" on a test (back in the day, your parent had to sign it and you brought it back in so that the teacher knew you were properly beaten with a switch or something), my momma's reaction was to give me $5 and tell me to go buy her a pack of Basic Menthols. I could keep the change. As I recall, I got me a Dr Pepper and a Snickers with the surplus. I believe I was 11 years old at the time.

When I got my first "F" on a test (back in the day, your parent had to sign it and you brought it back in so that the teacher knew you were properly beaten with a switch or something), my momma's reaction was to give me $5 and tell me to go buy her a pack of Basic Menthols. I could keep the change. As I recall, I got me a Dr Pepper and a Snickers with the surplus. I believe I was 11 years old at the time.
You should have just bought some tobacco and some rolling paper, since it's cheaper. More profit.:D I would have called you a genius then.