Pharmacy School or MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueangel12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have worked as a pharmacy technician for a number of years. I know all the stories of supersaturation in the pharmacist job market with so many schools out there and lowering admission standards such as taking on candidates without a PCAT, no bachelor's degree, and candidates fresh out of high school. Also with hours being slashed and understaffed in which you might have to do so much on your own. Conversely, I have heard people talk about supposedly how the job market should improve or be sure to network/pursue a PGY residency to better your chances. I do not have the smarts for medical, dental, or nursing school but I do enjoy working with patients and in the healthcare field. I am debating on MHA (Master's of Healthcare Administration) versus pharmacy school. Any advice from current pharmacists and recent pharmacist graduates would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah anything but pharmacy is good. I would do finance or marketing or computer science at state school so you have no lebt or less debt.

I do not have the smarts for medical, dental, or nursing school
I know this forum really likes to talk about pharmacy standards falling but if you don't think you could make it in nursing then pharmacy is certainly not a good alternative.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have worked as a pharmacy technician for a number of years. I know all the stories of supersaturation in the pharmacist job market with so many schools out there and lowering admission standards such as taking on candidates without a PCAT, no bachelor's degree, and candidates fresh out of high school. Also with hours being slashed and understaffed in which you might have to do so much on your own. Conversely, I have heard people talk about supposedly how the job market should improve or be sure to network/pursue a PGY residency to better your chances. I do not have the smarts for medical, dental, or nursing school but I do enjoy working with patients and in the healthcare field. I am debating on MHA (Master's of Healthcare Administration) versus pharmacy school. Any advice from current pharmacists and recent pharmacist graduates would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you have a tendency towards administration and broadening your scopes there. Pharmacy school is not heavy on administration even though it might look like it from where you are working depending where you are working as well. THe schools lean towards heavily on clinical nowadays and are training pharmacists to become clinically relevant therefore it will not be easier than the other schools you mentioned. In fact, it might actually be slightly harder depending on the school curriculum.....

I didn't know what MHA is but it's better than pharmacy.

I have a feeling you still will go to pharmacy school if accepted even though you know it's supersaturated and despite our advice

The pharmacy field is saturated. I would not recommend entering this profession for another 5+ years at least.. unless you are okay moving to the MidWest. I think job market's good for doctors, nurses, PAs. I don't know much about MHA.

What is your career goal with a MHA? I’m not in pharm school but I’m looking at the same alternative.

PA school...what the hell would you do with a MHA?