• Forums Updates - Thursday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Thursday starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.
  • Seeking Outstanding Advisors
    If you have benefited from an amazing advisor, nominate them for the 2024 Advisor of the Year Award! Accepting nominations now through March 31st.

pharmacy school premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

univscience

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i go to a pharmacy school, but i'm in microbiology not pharm. it's an excelled science school with typical filler classes like soc, etc. the program here is six years, two of which being clinical/professional. over 80% of the students are pharmacy students, they graduate with a "doctor of pharmacy."

do adcoms see pharmacy schools differently than regular institutions of equal status (educational rigors)? being that the majority of the student population is in the pharmacy program, most classes are more difficult than other schools. that is what they tell us non-pharmacy students.

anyone have any experience with this topic?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i go to a pharmacy school, but i'm in microbiology not pharm. it's an excelled science school with typical filler classes like soc, etc. the program here is six years, two of which being clinical/professional. over 80% of the students are pharmacy students, they graduate with a "doctor of pharmacy."

do adcoms see pharmacy schools differently than regular institutions of equal status (educational rigors)? being that the majority of the student population is in the pharmacy program, most classes are more difficult than other schools. that is what they tell us non-pharmacy students.

anyone have any experience with this topic?:confused:

Professional courses aside, the pharmacy students here take classes along side everyone else. For example, only one BioChem course is offered -- so grad students, undergrad science majors, pre-meds, and pharmacy students all take the same course.

YMMV, but I doubt the adcom looks at your undergrad coursework with a vastly different perspective. It's bascially the same argument as the ivy versus state school undergrad. Maybe some adcom members will give you credit, but in general most won't care what school you did your coursework at.