Pharmacy schools now recruiting high school kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmcats71

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
University of Arizona Washington State

I'm sure these aren't the only two schools doing this, but what does it say about admissions and the state of the profession that we are the only "doctorate" program that recruits high school kids?

Members don't see this ad.

University of Arizona Washington State

I'm sure these aren't the only two schools doing this, but what does it say about admissions and the state of the profession that we are the only "doctorate" program that recruits high school kids?

These programs have a bridge acceptance to a pharmD program pending 2 years of prerequisite courses finished (undergrad) in order to join their 0-6 (arguably 2-4) program arrangement. By looking at the requirements for a bridge acceptance, the students from these programs still have to complete the 2 years of college courses before by-passing a PCAT and further interviews. They still need to maintain a certain GPA while in college to be front-loaded to the graduate program(s). As far as time, essentially no different than someone who did 2 years of prerequisites and went straight to pharmacy. At least Univ of Arizona admits that its rigorous and not the best fit for all students applying.

I am not for the system, but it's a system that has been around for awhile now.

Reactions: 1 user
Its nothing new, the University of Arizona had a similar program back in the day (2010) but eliminated it. Honestly, Its not any different than doing 2 years of pre-reqs and applying to pharmacy schools without PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't most 0-6 programs start at age 18?

Reactions: 1 users
0-6 programs are a thing

UoP is a thing too (2+3 or whatever)

You get what you put into it

Last edited: