pharmacy schools that accept premed requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to be pre-med but i am considering switching to pre-pharmacy
I have done all the premed prequisites
1 year of gchem with lab
1 year of ochem with lab
1 year of bio with lab
1 year of physics with lab
english, calculus

I was checking the websites for a few pharmacy schools and they require econ, speech, human anatomy, psychology? I dont have any of these. but i only checked a few schools.

I am done with undegrad, graduated last june. I really really do not want to go back to college and undergrad.
Are there any pharmacy schools that will accept the classes that i have taken already without me having to take more classes?

Members don't see this ad.

I used to be pre-med but i am considering switching to pre-pharmacy
I have done all the premed prequisites
1 year of gchem with lab
1 year of ochem with lab
1 year of bio with lab
1 year of physics with lab
english, calculus

I was checking the websites for a few pharmacy schools and they require econ, speech, human anatomy, psychology? I dont have any of these. but i only checked a few schools.

I am done with undegrad, graduated last june. I really really do not want to go back to college and undergrad.
Are there any pharmacy schools that will accept the classes that i have taken already without me having to take more classes?

Econ and psych are usually General Education requirements to get a degree in the first place. You need to talk to the schools you are applying to about this.

One of the links in my sig is to the PSAR (our version of the MSAR). It will tell you what each school requires. FWIW, my first choice school doesn't require econ or A&P, but one of my other choices does. Hopefully the PSAR will help you find the right school for your present credentials.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the links in my sig is to the PSAR (our version of the MSAR). It will tell you what each school requires. FWIW, my first choice school doesn't require econ or A&P, but one of my other choices does. Hopefully the PSAR will help you find the right school for your present credentials.

What school is FWIW?

is it this pdf document?
http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSAR1011_Table1.pdf
?

I dont understand this table, what do all these notations mean? 6a, 5b, 4b? I know the notations are defined in the footer, but i still dont get it! am i stupid or is this table really confusing?

It's the one labeled "Course Prerequisites by Pharmacy School - Summary of pre-professional course requirements by pharmacy degree institution."

thanks for the answers
by the way, is being a pharmacist an exciting job? to me it seems boring, arent you just standing there all day?

thanks for the answers
by the way, is being a pharmacist an exciting job? to me it seems boring, arent you just standing there all day?

To me it's exciting. There are mundane aspects in it, sure, but it's hard to think of a job that doesn't. Even a police officer has paper work, and even I had a lot of down time while I was on deployment in Iraq.

Your work is what you make of it. In a retail joint, you're probably going to be doing standing, but I wouldn't call it standing around per se... If you're in a medium to high volume store, you'll be running around crazy trying to get things accomplished with zero error so that your corporate will be pleased.

In a hospital setting as a Staff Pharmacist, you'll be doing a lot slower paced work, if your staffing is anything like ours. But there are so many different jobs and tasks, and every hospital's different, so that's hard to say.

if you haven't shadowed yet, do so ASAP.

If you worked at a place like where I work (hospital), you are going to be a busy bee. The clinical pharmacists are in satellites on each floor and are responsible for each of their specialties but all the pharmacists (with exception of our research pharmacists, managers, and night pharmacists) rotate through those areas from day to day (with the exception of a couple). We have two pharmacists in the OR pharmacy and they are really busy sometimes because they make their own IVs and do their own compounding. It is pretty cool what they all do, though.