Pharmacy specialty

Started by CanPharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CanPharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering for those who are doing or are finished residency, is there a specific specialty you want to practice in? (ie cardiology, ID, HIV, transplant, etc..) And why are you interested in it?

Personally, I would love to be an infectious disease pharmacist. I think pharmacist can play a big role in terms of drug monitoring, infection control, and anti-microbial resistance. Its so dynamic since there's always new drugs being developed and changes in drug resistance patterns. Seems pretty cool 😀.
 
I agree completely. Infectious disease are the most exciting area for me personally. Now since I`m a first year student I don`t know too much about it but since I joined a few web-journals I find immunology to be one of my favorites.
 
I never wanted to be a clinical specialist, but if I did, I would go for transplant. Not only you get all the transplant-specific drugs to play with, but also a ton of antimicrobials (as every transplant patient requires prophylaxis and often treatment, and they are often resistant bugs, and there are a ton of drug interactions), antihypertensives, antidiabetic meds - you will have your hands full. Besides, it's very satisfying to see the patients who were at the death's door when you left for the weekend smiling and eating on Monday. And see kids who are eating for the first time in their life, after getting a small bowel, after being on TPN for as long as 10-20 years. I liked my transplant rotation a lot. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be entering pharmacy in fall 08. What are some good journals to check out? I really want to gain as much knowledge as possible because I DEFINITELY don't want to do retail pharmacy. Infectious disease sounds awesome but I just don't have any literature to back that up.

Thanks 🙂
 
I'll be entering pharmacy in fall 08. What are some good journals to check out? I really want to gain as much knowledge as possible because I DEFINITELY don't want to do retail pharmacy. Infectious disease sounds awesome but I just don't have any literature to back that up.

Thanks 🙂

http://freebooks4doctors.com/
http://www.amedeo.com/


http://www.biomedcentral.com/browse/bysubject/

http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcclinpharmacol/

http://www.biomedcentral.com/bmcpharmacol/

http://www.journal-inflammation.com/

These are all I have - hope they work for you - the first two web-sites are a project aiming for supplying free medical information to students and doctors. The original program by Bern Sebastian Kamps i called AMADEO and fb4d.com is an associate.

Bio Medical Central isn`t all free but it offers dozens of free publications on researches and tests carried out by specialists around the world. You can read the abstracts download the full PDF files etc.