Pharmacy student uses $30k wedding to feed homeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenJammin

No Apologies
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bride-to-be calls off wedding, invites homeless to her reception

Why is a pharmacy student planning a $30k wedding in the first place? Do students of today have access to unlimited amounts of loan money to be used for whatever they want? Why are we subsidizing this garbage?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you even read what you posted? The second sentence clearly states she saved up her own earnings for the wedding.

A full time student saved up for a $30,000 wedding? I don't buy it for a second.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
She probably saved 15k and family paid the rest

A full time student saved up for a $30,000 wedding? I don't buy it for a second.

It's probably not written well. They want her to seem like a huge victim for some reason, by implying she was the only one who saved for it. I'm sure she did but I'm also positive the ex fiancé helped with that too.

If she really "skimped and saved" to pay for the venue alone I see why she broke it off. Carmel is the Beverly Hills of Indy.

Plus the story didn't state whether she has student loans or not. Maybe mommy and daddy paid for school but wouldn't pay for all of the wedding :shrug:

Regardless of the "good" that does, that $30k could have arguably been used by herself in better ways. All of that party is a sunk cost already, so why not get some good publicity? It is not truly charity if it is not freely given and the context is clear that it wasn't. This might be a lesson on why you pay for insurance on these things (and yes, you can buy it).

I do feel sorry for both of them, it's quite a public way to be humiliated despite the good headlines.

You people are bitter. Federal loans are unsubsidized nowadays.
Personally, that $30k would go towards my loans, but that's not my problem. Call me a snowflake, but she can do what she wants. Someone needs to complain to the journalist for her typos. "she called it of"

Reactions: 2 users
::grabs pearls::

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

For a second I thought this was in Carmel, CA and my first thought was "no effing way you can have a damn BBQ, much less a wedding, for $30k in that town"

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$30k is like the average wedding cost nowadays. 1 day full of crap to throw a party for 3/4th of people you don't really give a sh1t about.

Let's be real here, she was spending family money, not loan money or "overtime" money. No student from a low-income family has 30k dollars laying around to spend on a wedding. Common on.

But for the fun of the conversation, even if she was spending loan money (and what school inflates cost of attendance by 30k?!), what's it to you? She is the one who will have to pay it back. Even if she uses PAYE she is still going to pay back way more than she borrows, presuming she finds employment in the pharmpocalypse and isn't able to marry a sugar daddy.

Regardless of the "good" that does, that $30k could have arguably been used by herself in better ways. All of that party is a sunk cost already, so why not get some good publicity? It is not truly charity if it is not freely given and the context is clear that it wasn't. This might be a lesson on why you pay for insurance on these things (and yes, you can buy it).

I do feel sorry for both of them, it's quite a public way to be humiliated despite the good headlines.

Perhaps I am being mean-spirited here, but I can't help but think that trying to spin a personal tragedy like this into good PR speaks to a deep, deep pathological narcissism. What kind of person is willing to advertise that they had to cancel their wedding just to make it seem like they are such a good person that they are will to "give" 30k to feed homeless people? (Obviously it isn't really giving the money away since they already spent the money and this is the highest ordered use the could find for it now that the original plans for it are blown.)

I think it is wrong or blind to automatically assume so strongly that the $30K came from her student loans. And the article did say she had "...a non-refundable contract for a venue and a plated dinner for 170 guests..."

The article also mentioned that she worked and saved up. But it didn't give us any further variable(s) that might have made it very possible for her to save up that amount...in 2 years (most likely).

I had very few colleagues in pharmacy school that were driving tinted BMW's, and tweaked up lexus products. Guess the icing on the cake? Some of them have NO student loans, while others only had barely a fraction.

For all we know, her trust funds might have taken care of her tuition...or her family could be running a successful business. Possible factors are endless.

We ought to applaud her more on the initiative to turn her disappointment into a blessing for the less-privileged, assuming the story is true. Some people would have resorted to a murder-suicide approach.

I mean I worked 2 years before starting pharmacy school (diff career track) and, had I not spent like a fiend, would have easily saved up $30k over a few months depending on commission.

But c'mon...I don't judge, and I don't care if people are cut of a certain cloth, but I look at her photo and infer "trust fund."

For a group of people who likely utilized student loans at some point, this forum is not very supportive of people taking out student loans to complete their education. It depends on the student, but the U.S. will make a modest profit off my loans. It will also benefit from my increased earnings and the increased taxes I will pay. There are lots of cases where student loans are a win win. :)

I doubt that someone able to afford a 30K wedding was taking out student loans anyway.

For a group of people who likely utilized student loans at some point, this forum is not very supportive of people taking out student loans to complete their education. It depends on the student, but the U.S. will make a modest profit off my loans. It will also benefit from my increased earnings and the increased taxes I will pay. There are lots of cases where student loans are a win win. :)

I doubt that someone able to afford a 30K wedding was taking out student loans anyway.

People are under the delusion that opportunity costs for said loan proceeds exist with the government. They really don't.

And people are salty about loan forgiveness around here, just a heads up.

Perhaps I am being mean-spirited here, but I can't help but think that trying to spin a personal tragedy like this into good PR speaks to a deep, deep pathological narcissism. What kind of person is willing to advertise that they had to cancel their wedding just to make it seem like they are such a good person that they are will to "give" 30k to feed homeless people? (Obviously it isn't really giving the money away since they already spent the money and this is the highest ordered use the could find for it now that the original plans for it are blown.)

I was thinking more in the lines of a tax-deductible contribution. Can't recoup all the costs, but there's something. It's not just for the publicity :). The Wife figures about $10=$13k of that can be recouped that way depending on how things go.

Reactions: 4 users
I was thinking more in the lines of a tax-deductible contribution. Can't recoup all the costs, but there's something. It's not just for the publicity :). The Wife figures about $10=$13k of that can be recouped that way depending on how things go.
That's a good point lol.

That didn't cross my mind, but what a great way to recoup your losses.

Excellent point, but she could still do is and NOT advertise it, so I think my point remains mostly the same. It just does not seem normal to me to try to draw major attention to a personal humiliation like this while trying to spin a humanitarian angle.

Reactions: 4 users
I've noticed more and more stories about couples breaking up in pharmacy school.

Oh found these figures while reading another unrelated article, average wedding in CA was $44k (2015), >$80k in NY (probably skewed 2/2 Manhattan)

I am sure the Ritz is thrilled they are going to be serving a bunch of homeless people that day. Maybe the new guests they are bussing in will even bring some tents and set up a Shanty town on the lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
+1

This seems to me to be a way for her to stick it to the venue / caterers / people who wouldn't let her out of the contract.

The venue most certainly didn't want a few dozen homeless people crapping up the place.
The caterers probably didn't care, aside from the forks, etc that got stolen.

The chair rental place is probably upset that they're having to wash the smell out of the chairs.

Who knows who else got REKT by this bride

Reactions: 1 users
I think it is wrong or blind to automatically assume so strongly that the $30K came from her student loans. And the article did say she had "...a non-refundable contract for a venue and a plated dinner for 170 guests..."
The article also mentioned that she worked and saved up. But it didn't give us any further variable(s) that might have made it very possible for her to save up that amount...in 2 years (most likely).
I had very few colleagues in pharmacy school that were driving tinted BMW's, and tweaked up lexus products. Guess the icing on the cake? Some of them have NO student loans, while others only had barely a fraction.
For all we know, her trust funds might have taken care of her tuition...or her family could be running a successful business. Possible factors are endless.
We ought to applaud her more on the initiative to turn her disappointment into a blessing for the less-privileged, assuming the story is true. Some people would have resorted to a murder-suicide approach.

I had no student loans until P4

This is definitely fake news. Something that Inside Edition would "report" on and by report I mean a 1 minute FaceTime interview for one of their cheesy click bait 2 minute YouTube videos. ‍♂️