pharmacy technician as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djherse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been a pharmacy technician for the last 2 1/2 years (since freshman year college). I was just wondering if medical schools count this as clinical experience? i would be willing to argue with anyone who says it is not. The disconect between what happens when a pt. leaves their docs office and come to the pharmacy is faw to large. MANY doctors have no idea/ dont care what happens to their patients after they leave the office (drug cost, lack of ins., drugs not covered, high copays when a lesser drug can be sub, ect... the list goes on). If it is not concidered clinical experience any ideas as to were i can get some this late in the game? also on a side note my freshman year was less then steller (2.7 gpa, two C's in general chem) i have since then been above 3.5 every semester. Should i retake general chem this late in the game to replace the 2 C's and increase my gpa? or will medical schools look past my freshman year and see my A's in uper level courses (A's in advanced organic, intro to pharma/toxicology, biochem ect...) I will retake if i have to.....
Thanks for ur time and help.......

Members don't see this ad.

I took a pharmacy technician job after I was accepted because I don't think it is clinical experience. There is actually nothing clinical about it. You do get good experience for pharmacology and for topics in healthcare during your interview, but you don't get any experience with patients in a clinical setting. This is what you need. From the time I decided to go back to school to the time I was accepted, I was an ER technician. This is great clinical experience, although not as much money as a pharm tech.

You can explain it until you are blue in the face, but admission committees are not going to look at it as official clinical experience.

I deal with 100+ patients a day... I answer questions, guide them, get info for them, call Doc's for refills, rx changes ect... so what your saying is because the patient is not still being treated "persay" then it is not a clinical setting and therefore not a clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I deal with 100+ patients a day... I answer questions, guide them, get info for them, call Doc's for refills, rx changes ect... so what your saying is because the patient is not still being treated "persay" then it is not a clinical setting and therefore not a clinical experience?

Well, being a pharmacy technician certainly seems like it would be clinically-related, but I wouldn't call it clinical experience, as I believe many medical schools would define it. I do not doubt that you are playing an important role in the scheme of things, but you are not observing or involved in the care of patients in medias res. Of course, you are doing more than filling prescriptions, but it isn't quite the same as being exposed to patients in an outpatient clinic, hospital, or pre-hospital setting, for example. I think the idea is to expose you, the premedical student, to the rawness of patient care as you might be experiencing it someday as a doctor, where the patients might puke on you, or crap their pants while you are assessing them (ever smell some of the strange and unpleasant smells that come from patients?) and see/work with them when they are scared, injured, and perhaps even resisting your attempts to help them. Ideally, your clinical experience will expose you to some of the realities of patient care, both unpleasant and joyful aspects. Also, hopefully, you will see how doctors interact with their patients in a number of different scenarios.

Should i retake general chem this late in the game to replace the 2 C's and increase my gpa? or will medical schools look past my freshman year and see my A's in uper level courses (A's in advanced organic, intro to pharma/toxicology, biochem ect...) I will retake if i have to.....

Don't count on anyone looking past anything. The first thing they see are the numbers, MCAT and GPA straight up. Once you make the interview, then C's in the beginning look better than C's at the end, but they're never as pretty as A's. Chances are the bump won't help your overall gpa much but it may boost your science gpa. You just have to decide if a 3.2 to 3.5 bump is worth your time and effort. If you have the time and you're planning on taking/retaking the MCAT after the class, it would certainly be a nice refresher.

so, if someone worked in a medical supply store that could be considered clinical experience as well? just because the people (customers, not patients) had probably seen a physician at some point and need to purchase something related to their condition(s)? i'm sure that the people who work in these stores also answer questions and guide people... but so do cashiers at convenience stores.

just my opinion. if i was you, and had any doubt about my experience counting as clinical, i'd do something else too just in case the adcoms don't end up seeing it your way.

definitely do additional clinical work... it's not hard call the red cross or your local hospital.. volunteers are always needed.

I have to disagree... I'd say that it DOES count as clinical work, but I don't think that it's enough...

Best of luck :)

i agree - you can argue that it is a form of clinical experience (you deal with patients, medications, etc.). but it's not the type of clinical experience that can solely get you into medical school. if you were applying to a pharmD. program, without a doubt that would be what you need. but for medical school, you need to observe that doctor patient interaction, which you are missing at the pharmacy. it's a great resume builder, but if it's your only "clinically" related experience, you might get grilled on it during an interview.

So I submit the idea of a pharmacy tech who works in a hospital. Trust me, we get to smell whatever is wafting down the hallway...:eek: Any ideas?

As a former Pharmacy technician I will tell you that working in pharmacy (retail, hospital or other) does not count as clinical experience.

As mentioned above, if you were applying to pharmacy programs this is the exact type of healthcare experience they would like to see, but not for medical school.

Definition of clinical:

of, relating to, or conducted in or as if in a clinic : as a : involving direct observation of the patient b : based on or characterized by observable and diagnosable symptoms

I would try to find something more appropriate for your clinical experience:

EMS, nurses aid, ER technician, etc.

So I submit the idea of a pharmacy tech who works in a hospital. Trust me, we get to smell whatever is wafting down the hallway...:eek: Any ideas?

Again...patient interaction in a medical role.

Not counseling on meds (which is not the job of a pharmacy technician anyway as it is beyond their scope), counting pills or filling a Pyxis.

MANY doctors have no idea/ dont care what happens to their patients after they leave the office (drug cost, lack of ins., drugs not covered, high copays when a lesser drug can be sub, ect... the list goes on).

And right there you lost me.

Dont know or dont care? I dont think so. Doctors are well aware and do indeed care.

Go into your interview and say that. I am sure you will be getting the "thin" envelope in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I have been a pharmacy technician for the last 2 1/2 years (since freshman year college). I was just wondering if medical schools count this as clinical experience? i would be willing to argue with anyone who says it is not. The disconect between what happens when a pt. leaves their docs office and come to the pharmacy is faw to large. MANY doctors have no idea/ dont care what happens to their patients after they leave the office (drug cost, lack of ins., drugs not covered, high copays when a lesser drug can be sub, ect... the list goes on). If it is not concidered clinical experience any ideas as to were i can get some this late in the game? also on a side note my freshman year was less then steller (2.7 gpa, two C's in general chem) i have since then been above 3.5 every semester. Should i retake general chem this late in the game to replace the 2 C's and increase my gpa? or will medical schools look past my freshman year and see my A's in uper level courses (A's in advanced organic, intro to pharma/toxicology, biochem ect...) I will retake if i have to.....

Think of it as having respect for the pharmacist and their "minions." You have patient contact, but considering you aren't an intern or upper level pharmacy student (4th, 5th, or 6th year) you can't particularly counsel them besides telling them the pros and cons of one medicine over another based on the lab inserts or specs on the box; you aren't licensed to do so and by doing that you face problems. If you study near a hospital ask them if they have a pre-med program or if you can create a volunteer position for yourself. If you're in Philly definitely research Penn's pre-med program. I'm going into phase II and I'll be "shadowing" in the ER, at night; I'm too excited, haha. Its a great program. So, unfortunately, I think the answer is a no, it is not clinical experience.

Doesn't really matter how we define "clinical".... your experience is good & helpful in that it's showing you one aspect of the health care system, but I think that when med schools look for "clinical" experience they're wanting to see that you have spent some time with physicians in THEIR setting seeing what they do day in and day out so that you have a realistic expectation of what you are getting into. As a pharmacy tech I'm sure you've gotten to speak with some docs and definitely have dealt with patients, but if I was an ADCOM I'd question whether you have a good idea what it's really like to be a physician and if you want to do med school or pharmacy school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=395982

My response from there:

if he is volunteering in hospital, it counts as a clinical volunteering. My interviewers said it was cool.
You can put down PharmTech volunteering as a "clinical volunteering" on AMCAS though; but I don't think it would count as a clinical "experience" that med schools are looking for

if he is volunteering in hospital, it counts as a clinical volunteering.

:confused:

How does volunteering in a hospital pharmacy make it any more clinical? It doesnt. You still dont have direct patient care responsibilities.

That would be like saying the PACU nurses have OR experience. :rolleyes:

How does volunteering in a hospital pharmacy make it any more clinical? It doesnt. You still dont have direct patient care responsibilities.

That would be like saying the PACU nurses have OR experience. :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was a clinical experience. On AMCAS section their is a place that you can check "volunteering/job- non/clinical" and "volunteering/job - clinical" - I was saying that he can check as a clinical. This is not anyway saying that his work is "clinical experience."

I didn't say it was a clinical experience. On AMCAS section their is a place that you can check "volunteering/job- non/clinical" and "volunteering/job - clinical" - I was saying that he can check as a clinical. This is not anyway saying that his work is "clinical experience."

His job is clinical, but its not clinical experience.

Ohhh...I get it.

(no I dont)

I put that down on my app as "clinical volunteering", and no interviewer said anything about it. They asked me what I did and I just explained. Of course, I had other experiences with direct patient-contact, so I had more to talk about.

Reactions: 1 user
I put that down on my app as "clinical volunteering", and no interviewer said anything about it.

So thats your barometer? Whether or not a medical school interviewer asked about it as a clinical experience?

Oh man.

I think we are getting too far removed from the OPs question.

Is work as a pharmacy technician clinical experience? No.

Next question. Dont bother retaking Chem. Too late for that now.

Become an EMT-B. Course takes a semester at the most. Volunteer or get hired for a transport service. Most 911 services won't really hire basics unless it is a suburb or rural area. However you can volunteer for 911 services and ride as a 3rd person. The medics partner will be driving and you will be assisting them. Being an EMT is the best clinical experience a pre-medical student can get in my opinion. If you have time become an Intermediate, which is ideal for pre-med an med students as it doesnt take as much time as medic, and you can do more as an EMT-I than as a basic.

I am almost done with my class. One more week. I was also thinking about becoming a pharm tech for exposure to medications and their functions.

JP and Johnny are, unfortunately, correct. Being a pharmacy technician is not "clinical experience". Trust me, I wish it was, because I've been in the pharmacy for 6 years now, 3 of those as a pharmacy intern and for the last two I've done much, much more than a technician (or even an RPh) does in terms of "clinical" work.

Clinical work as it relates to pharmacy is a completely different ballgame than clinical work as it relates to being a doctor. The only small overlap might be if you've run a cholesterol/hypertension or brown bag clinic as community service, which would require the permission (and assistance) of your PIC, as you lack any official pharmacy schooling.

You could certainly mention your experience as a technician, and maybe even that it influenced your decision to go to med school. It will certainly help you be a more well-rounded doc in the final analysis -- I'm convinced med students should have to do a two week mini-rotation in the pharmacy just so they see how it all works from that PoV. (And indeed, some allopathic med schools are doing this, generally they are the ones that also have a pharmacy school attached as well.)

Quick question about my situation which is similar. I am volunteering at a free medical clinic and they put me wherever they need me each day. Sometimes I'm filing and sometimes I'm stocking and checking patients in and they also send me to the pharmacy to dispense medication. I know in itself this isnt a real good clinical experience but I worked in a hospital for 2 years until the last few months. Do you think they will question my working at the free medicial clinic? Personally, I think working as a phlebotomist for 2 years is really good but I have only been volunteering this time. Do you guys think it would be a problem? would they question my volunteering experience. Oh yea, and I'm also shadowing a DO every month.

Quick question about my situation which is similar. I am volunteering at a free medical clinic and they put me wherever they need me each day. Sometimes I'm filing and sometimes I'm stocking and checking patients in and they also send me to the pharmacy to dispense medication. I know in itself this isnt a real good clinical experience but I worked in a hospital for 2 years until the last few months. Do you think they will question my working at the free medicial clinic? Personally, I think working as a phlebotomist for 2 years is really good but I have only been volunteering this time. Do you guys think it would be a problem? would they question my volunteering experience. Oh yea, and I'm also shadowing a DO every month.

MCAT-GPA-MCAT-GPA-MCAT-GPA-MCAT-GPA-MCAT-GPA

Do good on that and you don't have to worry about all the fluff. Fluff shows you may be able to play well with others so just don't screw up your interview.

I agree that you've gotta do well on MCAT and GPA, but you also need some sort of clinical experience to show that you have at least a small clue of what you're going into.

obviously I need to do well on MCAT and GPA.... that did not answer my question. And it is not fluff.

And right there you lost me.

Dont know or dont care? I dont think so. Doctors are well aware and do indeed care.

Go into your interview and say that. I am sure you will be getting the "thin" envelope in the mail.

I agree 100%. I have heard of a physician's prescription privileges being restricted based on the things that pharmacists have said. Pharmacist are the ones that notice when a physician is abusing his or her right to prescribe medication. A friend of mine, who is an Internal Medicine physician, actually lost his ability to perscribe a particular drug far a little while because a pharmacist thought some of his scripts seemed a little suspicious. Believe me, physicians do care about what happens after the patient leaves the hospital and goes to the pharmacy. Think about how many patients claim malpractice after recieving the wrong drug.

Hello,

I could make my Pharm Tech experience look like clinical experience. I work for a major corporate retailer, too. But there is something unique that makes my pharmacy tech experience legitimate clinical experience:

I'm in a rural area in Illinois. All the doctors and pharmacists know each other. I've shadowed several of the doctors here in town. In fact, all of my shadowing opportunities have come because my direct interaction with a variety of physicians in the pharmacy.

Two of the pharmacists, including my boss, also take time to teach me stuff that is well beyond any knowledge I would ever need in my current position.

Many patients come in and can't afford the medicine the doctor prescribed to them. I get to witness the pharmacist and physician interact to find a better and more affordable treatment option. Nothing teaches you more about the economics of medicine than retail pharmacy. Shadowing in the ER, volunteering (which I've done both), etc. don't hold a candle the lessons about patient care I've learned in the retail pharmacy setting. I've also gained a much greater appreciation for other members of the health care team. You hear a lot about the important role that nurses play but no one ever talks about the pharmacists (who save more lives preventing errors than most people realize). Did you know that nurses and pharmacists are the two most trusted professions?

So... here is what I gained from shadowing and volunteering that I did not gain from working in retail pharmacy:
- I witnessed doctors treat patients directly
- I got to converse with doctors about specific cases they've had, the challenges of primary care, watched a few surgeries, etc.

Here is what I gained from retail pharmacy that I did not gain from shadowing and volunteering:

- Very rudimentary knowledge of pharmacological treatment for a variety of ailments.
- Small things here and there ... how to take someones blood pressure, how to check your blood sugar, how to calculate doses of Lovenox, what the purpose of various medications are, how to calculate childrens doses by using height and weight, etc. etc.
- The harsh realities of our health care system: the income disparity of care. The most rich and the most poor get taken care of while the middle class gets absolutely shafted. The rich can afford better access to care and their drug regimens. While you would think the poor would be the worse off in our capitalist system, the truth is that the poor get free access to care and free medicine that would cost the average Joe an arm and a leg. The poor have better health insurance than the most rich of individuals. I've also learned how badly abused the medicaid system is and how incredibly easy it is to take advantage of the system (at least in our state). If the rich get sick, they go to the doctor. If the medicaid recipient gets sick, they go to the doctor (sometimes the ER, even for minor ailments, since it is free). The middle class family with two $40,000 incomes who support children think 10 times before seeing a specialist (like a dermatologist) and 100 times before going to the ER (i.e. it better be a real emergency). This is something that I learned in the pharmacy through the testimonials of hundreds of patients. Volunteering and shadowing doctors only reinforced this.
- Economics of medicine, in-depth knowledge of how insurance companies work, in-depth knowledge of how medicare/medicaid works.
- The interaction of various members of the health care team: nurses to pharmacists, pharmacists to doctors (and optometrists, podiatrists, advanced practice nurses, etc.) Given me an appreciation for other members of the health care team and the important roles that they play.
- How patients feel about their prescribed care
- The different types of patients doctors have to deal with: 1.) The elderly, 2.) The non-compliant, 3.) The drug addict, 4.) The school teacher (aka, the know-it-all who always questions everything the doctor says because they think they know everything), 5.) The crazy parents (pediatricians nightmare), 6.) The hypochondriac, 7.) The self-entitled patient, 8.) The average Joe.
- How patients feel about their doctor (you'd be amazed at some of the things they say to pharmacists and the pharmacy staff... both good and bad, about their perceived level of care). Some of their expectations are unreasonable and laughable (some want their doctor to be at their every beck and call with thousands of other patients). Some have legitimate concerns. I've seen the challenges primary care physicians face and how each manage and deal with those problems. I have now seen how their patients respond to their different strategies for dealing with the "assembly-line" health care system we have. This has given me a much more well-rounded experience.

Also, as LizzyM would define clinical experience, this position definitely meets her criteria. I have smelled some pretty aweful things in the course of my duties as a pharmacy technician :laugh:. I see hundreds of patients over the course of two or three shifts. It is true that I don't learn anything by handing someone a bottle of pills but there is always a good portion of them who need something - an insurance issue resolved, a call to their doctor for a refill, a problem with their medicine, etc. While I don't (and unlike some technicians, never will) try to answer of their medication questions, I'm always there to witness the whole consultation.

I guarentee that I could pursuade the majority of admissions committees and interviewers that my particular experience in retail pharmacy is legitimate clinical experience. Sure it is not the only clinical experience I will have but it certainly counts.

Reactions: 1 user
revising from the dead eh?

You can talk a lot of stuff as "clinical experience". If I were an interviewer I'd still ask, "Why not pharmacy then?". The vast majority of Pharm. Tech jobs don't involve tons of interaction with doctors or seeing patients. You can smell crazy stuff by being a janitor at the hospital. I still don't count that as clinical experience. You probably talk to patients, interact with doctors and nurses, and maybe even help them out....big deal. It isn't too much more effort to look for a gig at the hospital where you will be in the element that you are going to school for. It is still two different paths within the general field. Mechanics and and the car salesman work in the same area and both do things involving cars. They both talk to customers and may even have an ok knowledge of what the other does. I still wouldn't believe I know the ins and outs of the car if all I did was sell them. As a mechanic, I wouldn't see all the other skills that the salesman applies either.

Last edited:
Here is my $0.02

I work as a pharmacy tech now as I wait (praying) for an acceptance. I never counted it as clinical experience but focused on the immersion of information that you can pick up (drug classes, theraputic uses etc). But the largest part that I have talked about in my interviews is the experience that I have gained dealing with third-party payors (those pesky insurance companies)

Most of my interviewers have told me that they think that is a positive aspect of my application (though not clinical experience...just a real world experience) due to the current managed care environment of medicine, and that realistically any new physician will have to deal with some level of them.

So i just spun it as "health care related" but I still did hundreds of hours of volunteering, shadowing and I am an EMT

IamAriDO

Many patients come in and can't afford the medicine the doctor prescribed to them. I get to witness the pharmacist and physician interact to find a better and more affordable treatment option. Nothing teaches you more about the economics of medicine than retail pharmacy.

Dude, you bumped a thread that's over a year old just to give bad advice?

When adcoms say clinical experience, the economics of medicine is not what they're talking about.

Whats required to be a pharmacy tech anyway? Sounds like it wouldn't be a half bad part time job. Don't much feel like working in an engineering firm anymore but I need the money.

Whats required to be a pharmacy tech anyway? Sounds like it wouldn't be a half bad part time job. Don't much feel like working in an engineering firm anymore but I need the money.

To be a pharm tech all you really need is to apply.

May I suggest working in Walgreen, Rite Aid, or Walmart. DEFINITELY not CVS. Their system, Rx2000, is terrible and is based on DOS. Their revenue is mostly based on the pharmacy so naturally they are really busy and prone to more mistakes. The pay is low as well.

Some pharmacies may require you to get licensed after a few months though.

Depending on where you work and how much your boss trusts you, pharm techs can be rewarding like the posters above have expressed. However, if you work at a really busy pharmacy, and you are not a pharm intern you'll most likely be counting pills and getting customers. That's when the job turns really ****tyyyy and boring. Hope that helps.

Dan