Pharmacy Technician good for med/od school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

samtron77v

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been studying for the PTCB lately because I was pre-pharmacy. But I have changed my mind now and I am pre-med and want to go to med/do school.

I was wondering if passing the ptcb and becoming a pharmacy technician anyway will be good on my resume for Med school.

I know it sounds weird because pharmacy technician would look good for resume for pharmacy school. However, given that in passing the ptcb we have to know the top 150+ drug names and become familiarized with them and work around medicine and side effects, will that be good from a medical school point of view?

tell me what you think and thank you.
 
Sure, it is an added EC if you actually use it. If all you do is pass a test, that's pretty useless. The curriculum of 1 class is probably heavier than learning 150 drug names.
 
Former tech here.

It's actually a great experience and the test is extremely easy (or it was 10 yrs. ago when I took it). You get to work with "patients", fill prescriptions, interact with docs, etc. I'm not sure if you're interested in retail or hospital, but both can be enlightening experiences. Definitely recommend, if you use it. Having a certification without use means nothing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a tech for 4 year and a CPhT for 3. Know the drugs and their general uses has already been a huge help in Pharmacology. I also have a head start on deciphering the common shorthand language used by docs and stuff.
 
To add to that, I think that the whole application process is really an art not a science, it depends more on the happiness of the readers of your files than your own stats and EC...

good luck!