Masters in Biomedical Sciences or Certified Cardiographic Technician job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheProcess76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about 2 years out of college and need advice on what route to take prior to applying to DO schools. Basically, I didn't know what I wanted to do and as a result I didn't do great as a undergrad and had to repeat a few classes. More importantly, I suck at math so calculus screwed me (got a D in calc 1 the first time before retaking an getting a B+ and I got an F in calc 2 and then my college let me take stats instead where I got an A). Since I have left college, I have worked in a pharmaceutical company testing cell banks and currently I am working at an outpatient cardiac monitoring company in their contracting department. My college gpa without grade replacement was a 3.12, BCP was a 3.0, and with math it was a 2.86. I am planning on taking the MCAT this summer so while I do not have an official score yet, realistically I am expecting around a 504 after taking some practice tests.

I may apply to a couple of schools this year, but most likely I will have to boost my credentials to get an interview. Right now, I have two options to decide between. First, I was accepted to an online MBS program with Geisinger and I am also waiting to hear back from PCOM for this fall. The cost for these programs is around 47k, but it is the only way for me to increase my gpa and show that I can handle the rigors of med school. The second option is to not do the program and take an opportunity to get my certified cardiographic technician (CCT) license and continue working for my current company as a monitoring technician. In my opinion, while it doesn't help my gpa, it gives me a unique opportunity where I can gain skills that may help me stand out from other med applicants. Also, everything is paid for so I cannot argue with that.

My company requires working full time as it takes 6-12 weeks to to get the CCT license and requires a good amount of outside studying to pass the licensing exam. Honestly, if I pursue the MBS program I will quit my job altogether because I want to do the best I can. I need to decide soon, but I am unsure since there is no guarentee that the MBS will help me guarantee admission. What would you choose if you were in my position. Would pursuing the MBS be worth it?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the MBS is your best bet, I would look for one with linkage not sure about PCOM's.
MBS are high risk but high reward and will show if you are ready for school or it can be a nail in the coffin.
Your GPA is pretty low for even DO programs maybe you might get some love from newer schools. I don't think that the tech program will show that you are able to succeed in med school honestly. I know several people going through similar programs and most of the classes are way less difficult than normal undergraduate classes, there is a reason why most CCT programs only require a HS diploma.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say do postbacc program or take science classes at community college and raise your gpa up and study for MCAT at the same time. If you raise your GPA 3.3+ and MCAT 505+ you don't need SMP program. That way you can do your regular job and save money for the med school. At the same time do community service and shadow DO and get LOR.
All the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the MBS is your best bet, I would look for one with linkage not sure about PCOM's.
MBS are high risk but high reward and will show if you are ready for school or it can be a nail in the coffin.
Your GPA is pretty low for even DO programs maybe you might get some love from newer schools. I don't think that the tech program will show that you are able to succeed in med school honestly. I know several people going through similar programs and most of the classes are way less difficult than normal undergraduate classes, there is a reason why most CCT programs only require a HS diploma.
Thanks for your advice. I am leaning towards the MBS over the CCT only for the science classes, but I also got an acceptance to a Masters of Engineering in Health Systems Engineering with Lehigh today which put another opportunity into the mix. The program is a 2 year split of healthcare foundational courses (financial management, IT, quality process improvement) and systems engineering courses (designing courses, optimization of models, etc.) and now I am considering this one as well since to me it is much more interesting than the MBS in terms of curriculum since it focuses on the overall healthcare system rather than just science. What would you pick in this case? In my eyes the MBS will only help with the science gpa, but while the HSE program has better job prospects should med school not work out, idk if the engineering classes may calculated into the BCP/ BCPM gpa.

Thanks for your advice. I am leaning towards the MBS over the CCT only for the science classes, but I also got an acceptance to a Masters of Engineering in Health Systems Engineering with Lehigh today which put another opportunity into the mix. The program is a 2 year split of healthcare foundational courses (financial management, IT, quality process improvement) and systems engineering courses (designing courses, optimization of models, etc.) and now I am considering this one as well since to me it is much more interesting than the MBS in terms of curriculum since it focuses on the overall healthcare system rather than just science. What would you pick in this case? In my eyes the MBS will only help with the science gpa, but while the HSE program has better job prospects should med school not work out, idk if the engineering classes may calculated into the BCP/ BCPM gpa.
MBS if you want medical school
HSE if you want something besides medical school

I do not believe engineering classes count in BCPM but someone in admissions with alittle more knowledge then me would be able to answer more to that