Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Retail pharmacist in a relatively high crime area would make that much.

There was one position that was open for a pharmacist to make 186K per year in a city in my state with more than twice the average crime rate in the US.

Well, I'll have some body armor left over from previous jobs, plus in Arkansas a merchant (which a pharmacist would be) may openly carry a handgun in his shop and make arrests for those thought to be shoplifting. If you're in the 6'2" 175 lbs range I can hook you up, Bob, if you want that 186k, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'll have some body armor left over from previous jobs, plus in Arkansas a merchant (which a pharmacist would be) may openly carry a handgun in his shop and make arrests for those thought to be shoplifting. If you're in the 6'2" 175 lbs range I can hook you up, Bob, if you want that 186k, lol.

Is that just in independent pharmacies?

I meet the weight requirement, but not the height requirement :laugh:

I heard from school that the position with 186K wasn't left open for very long.

It was with wal-mart, btw. I dunno if that's supposed to mean anything.

Is that just in independent pharmacies?

I meet the weight requirement, but not the height requirement :laugh:

I heard from school that the position with 186K wasn't left open for very long.

It was with wal-mart, btw. I dunno if that's supposed to mean anything.

Well....

1. No, it's for any pharmacy or "store." An organization can restrict its employees from doing whatever while on the clock, such as saying "no weapons at work" or "no arresting patrons," but the the law is on your side. A merchant can in fact do as I stated: carry a weapon and arrest shoplifters. Advisable? Definitely not. Also, as a citizen of course you can make any arrest pertaining to felonies in Arkansas. Advisable? Hell no. Stay away and let the badge toters do it.

2. Sorry lol

3. I suspect it wasn't. Heck, I'd take it if it weren't at Walmart although I'd be tempted to work there for a while. They can make Walmart as fashionable as they want with "makeovers" and what not, but just like the saying goes "you can polish a turd, but it's still a piece of ****." Walmart makes me feel yucky when I go in there, lol.

4. It's highly unlikely that someone is going to walk into Walmart, which has one of the best systems of security cameras out there complete with DVR, stroll over to the pharmacy, and rob the clerks. There are just too many witnesses, too many cameras and too much trouble to get in and out of. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but even criminals try to take the path of least resistance...even the dumb ones. I've used their cameras to get people that broke into cars in the parking lot, find people that robbed customers leaving the store, track down a hit and run driver, catch shoplifters, and even fire an employee that I found using her department credit card to purchase items for personal use.

Some advice for the aspiring pharmacist in crime ridden neighborhoods:

Be observant

Try not to work alone

Illuminate the parking lot at night

Invest in a camera / alarm / panic system and advertise it with decals

Offer free soda fountain drinks to cops so they'll routinely go in and out of your store (convenience stores do this a lot and for this reason) although this may not be applicable for your pharmacy

Utilize pharmacy techs as body shields

Finally if you really felt the need, you can purchase concealable, tailor-made body armor that is very thin, soft and pliable with up to IIIA protection which will impressively stop the pocket rocket .357 Sig round.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retail pharmacist in a relatively high crime area would make that much.

There was one position that was open for a pharmacist to make 186K per year in a city in my state with more than twice the average crime rate in the US.

I know we had this discussion Bob, but that's so funny because Miami is apparently the 3rd most dangerous city in the US and pharmacists definitely do not get paid anything near that. Unfortunately that's probably because folks who don't know any better believe this is actually a desirable place to live LOL :smuggrin: -kidding, sort of.

Oh yeah Ranger... Walmart makes me feel yucky too. :scared:

Depends on the retail tech, I was getting paid $18/hr for my extensive knowledge of several areas. The highest paid ones in that company were making $24/hr. Just depends on the business and what it is you do.

Until just now I thought your avatar was a metal totem pole.

http://www.parade.com/news/what-people-earn/slideshows/real-people-salary-2010.html?index=34

I saw this over the weekend, and I am wondering when this happened. I worked as a tech for 4 years, and I was lucky to make nearly 12/hour toward the end, so somewhere near $24,000 a year.

If this is what they are telling prospective students for pharmacy tech school, I can understand why people are paying several thousand to go to school for this!

Is this way off? Or have tech salaries gone up that much?:confused:

That's more then I make as a fellow and more then I made as a resident. Fascinating

Some advice for the aspiring pharmacist in crime ridden neighborhoods:

Offer free soda fountain drinks to cops so they'll routinely go in and out of your store (convenience stores do this a lot and for this reason) although this may not be applicable for your pharmacy

What about the cops that are hired at some Wal-Mart stores to stand by the entrance and also to walk around the store? I've seen them at only two stores so far out of maybe 20 I've been to.

Finally if you really felt the need, you can purchase concealable, tailor-made body armor that is very thin, soft and pliable with up to IIIA protection which will impressively stop the pocket rocket .357 Sig round.

Are those expensive? Do any of the companies have any policies that might interfere with wearing one of these?

Since we are talking about guns, should I buy one?

I'd say if you can afford it and keep up with it well. You might run into a risk of forgetting about it when you're busy with school or work.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the cops that are hired at some Wal-Mart stores to stand by the entrance and also to walk around the store? I've seen them at only two stores so far out of maybe 20 I've been to.

Are those expensive? Do any of the companies have any policies that might interfere with wearing one of these?

You'd wear them under your shirt with little visibility to anyone else. They interfere with bending over, but you learn to squat instead.

Wal-Mart locations in high crime areas, or more affluent areas, may hire off-duty officers, and if you could get your pharmacy to do that then great. They're not without cost, and OD gigs usually pay over $20/hr. Around the Rock it's probably more than that. If you're talking security guards then that's a whole other matter. I wouldn't be one for quadruple their salary.

It'd be cheaper to offer drinks. Soft drink syrup goes a long, long way, and it's insanely cheap. The idea is if we give away drinks then cops will pull in and out at all hours to grab their beverage. They'll be seen in the store, likely they'll develop rapport with the clerks, and stick around to chit chat thus prolonging the police presence. Driving around in a car for 8-12 hours can get lonely. Everybody likes to talk.

I need to protect myself :)

So you're wanting a handgun. I think it's INSANE to open carry them like they do in AZ, but that's just my perspective. That's not allowed here in AR, and even if it were I wouldn't do it despite the fact that I am always armed when I'm in public.

At any rate, if you do feel the need to protect yourself there are some obstacles to overcome:

1. Are you willing to, without hesitation, use the weapon against another person in defense of your life or another?

2. Are you willing and able to practice with your marksmanship to become a competent shooter such that you can trust yourself should you ever have to use the weapon in its intended capacity?

3. Are you willing to take the time to perform periodic maintenance (cleaning and lubrication)?

If you answer yes, unequivocally, to all the above then it's time to go get handsy and try some out for size. :) That's the fun part!

2. Are you willing and able to practice with your marksmanship to become a competent shooter such that you can trust yourself should you ever have to use the weapon in its intended capacity?

Like in a shooting range?

I've never been to one, so I don't know how all that works. But I see ads online about people offering to teach someone for a very high price, which doesn't really seem like it would be worth it.

Yes yes and yes. My dad is a detective (he used to be a street cop). He taught me to shoot when I was 10 lolol they are trying to pass a law here that a permit won't have to be required to carry them concealed.

Yes yes and yes. My dad is a detective (he used to be a street cop). He taught me to shoot when I was 10 lolol they are trying to pass a law here that a permit won't have to be required to carry them concealed.

Wow. I still have never shot a gun.

Like in a shooting range?

I've never been to one, so I don't know how all that works. But I see ads online about people offering to teach someone for a very high price, which doesn't really seem like it would be worth it.

There are a number of ways to go about this. One is a professional range. You can watch Wednesday Night at the Range on the Outdoor Channel, and they'll undoubtedly talk about some kind of "tactical" (tacticool) school you can go to to learn that kind of stuff. You could train yourself although you ought to be proactive. Some people just shoot old cans. Some people buy the gun, load it, stick it somewhere, and never get it back out. Those are the people that scare the crap out of me.

Even some law enforcement agencies still have officers standing still in front of a paper target driving slugs which is unrealistic and is why cops die from GSWs more than the bad guys. Fortunately, others, like those I've worked with have realistic training with weapon retention, simunition rounds (shooting each other), reactionary targets, moving targets, combat shooting, shooting on the move, stress shoots, head shots, contact shots, offhand shooting, shooting from vehicles (stationary), live fire shoots similar to the military technique although that is quite dangerous and extremely limited. I've gone through it once, and even then they shot by us rather than over us. Teaches you to keep your ass covered though. Any of the above is good.

There are a number of ways to go about this. One is a professional range. You can watch Wednesday Night at the Range on the Outdoor Channel, and they'll undoubtedly talk about some kind of "tactical" (tacticool) school you can go to to learn that kind of stuff. You could train yourself although you ought to be proactive. Some people just shoot old cans. Some people buy the gun, load it, stick it somewhere, and never get it back out. Those are the people that scare the crap out of me.

Even some law enforcement agencies still have officers standing still in front of a paper target driving slugs which is unrealistic and is why cops die from GSWs more than the bad guys. Fortunately, others, like those I've worked with have realistic training with weapon retention, simunition rounds (shooting each other), reactionary targets, moving targets, combat shooting, shooting on the move, stress shoots, head shots, contact shots, offhand shooting, shooting from vehicles (stationary), live fire shoots similar to the military technique although that is quite dangerous and extremely limited. I've gone through it once, and even then they shot by us rather than over us. Teaches you to keep your ass covered though. Any of the above is good.

So should I try playing paintball (which I have never played) before going to a shooting range? :laugh:

I've always lived around a metro area.

And yeah, out of the 12 years in Arkansas, I never have.

Poor guy. Run down to Academy Sports, shell out $500 or so for a G19, and try that out.

Last edited:
So should I try playing paintball (which I have never played) before going to a shooting range? :laugh:

Nope, because paintballs follow a different trajectory than bullets. It's very simple, bullets travel at close to 2000-3000 feet/second, while paintballs are usually maxed out at 300 feet/second.

The distance the paintball travels in a straight line is a lot smaller before gravity pulls them down. That's why in paintball, we laugh at these tools who claim to be "paintball snipers, attaching all kinds of optics to their guns", the wind also affects the paintball a lot.

Most of the game of paintball, is spray and pray.

Nope, because paintballs follow a different trajectory than bullets. It's very simple, bullets travel at close to 2000-3000 feet/second, while paintballs are usually maxed out at 300 feet/second.

The distance the paintball travels in a straight line is a lot smaller before gravity pulls them down. That's why in paintball, we laugh at these tools who claim to be "paintball snipers, attaching all kinds of optics to their guns", the wind also affects the paintball a lot.

Most of the game of paintball, is spray and pray.

I've never been a paintballer, yet I've noticed people with optics on their paintball guns. I feel like it's akin to putting a long range scope on a Red Ryder BB gun. Pointless.

Even at that speed, those paintballs hurt when they hit you just right :) When I go paintballing, I come out with bruises on my arms. HA!

Even at that speed, those paintballs hurt when they hit you just right :) When I go paintballing, I come out with bruises on my arms. HA!

That's the funny thing about paintball. When you get hit center-mass or in the head, it doesn't hurt at all. Personally, IMO, it hurts the most when you get shot in the back of your leg or your arms.

I prefer playing paintball in the winter. The clothes you put on to keep warm, also help out a lot in reducing the impact of the paintball. It doesn't hurt at all when I play in the winter. I actually wear one of these when I'm playing in the winter. I'm not a sniper in the sense that I make long range shots, I'm a sniper in the sense that I'm very stealthy, mobile, and usually only need 2-3 shots to take someone out without them figuring out where I am.

3991.jpg

Check out some of the kids on Youtube that have gotten into Airsoft. Some of their equipment is better than what the military gets. I've seen them on there with Multicam gear, external armor carriers, and the list goes on.

You know the thing I hate the most about paintball is having to wear the helmet and mask. Once I put the mask on, I can't aim down the sights any more, breathing becomes a lot harder, then the mask fogs up.

Just like imperial stormtroopers from Star Wars, we shoot great until we put the helmet and masks on.

You know the thing I hate the most about paintball is having to wear the helmet and mask. Once I put the mask on, I can't aim down the sights any more, breathing becomes a lot harder, then the mask fogs up.

Just like imperial stormtroopers from Star Wars, we shoot great until we put the helmet and masks on.

I'm the same way at the range with night shoots. The safety glasses do something weird with the muzzle flash. Without them - no problem. With them - I can't see out them.

What they should do for paintball is come up with a head protection system that involves the shatter proof goggles for the eyes (most important thing), and then the rest of the face is covered by a polyutherane kind of material, with breathing holes.

Does anyone know if Pharmacy Technicians are usually hired for the summer only? I don't have any previous experience, but I am taking the PTCB test soon and I would like to gain some experience and make some money before starting Pharmacy School in the fall. Is it best to pursue working as a tech this summer or finding another temporary summer job? I'm worried that I will take the test, get certified and registered with the state then have no luck finding a job.

I would say go for it. It seems very hard to find a Tech Job from where I am. I had to wait a little over a month before I got hired in 2008. Any experience is good. Perhaps you could work at a Temp Agency until someone calls you back.

Im guessing your pharmacy school starts in Fall based on your signature. If so, I don't know if they will hire u for just the 3 months period. And kind of experience would you expect to get within that short frame? Training itself usually take 3 months, at least that's the case for me.

If I were in your shoes I would just get some cush job for the summer so I can earn some money without doing a whole lot of time consuming work, i.e. earn money and enjoy the time off.

I don't know if you'll have much luck finding a summer only tech job at this point but it never hurts to try!

A couple of things to consider (or at least keep in mind):

1. Summer is a slower time in the pharmacy (as opposed to flu season in the winter) in general.

2. If you are looking at a community/retail job, you could try finding a job with a chain where you could continue working part-time while in school. It may or may not be possible but it is something you could talk with a potential employer about.

3. The other thing about summer that may be challenging is that students who are "home" for the summer may be there to work, so the pharmacy needs less help (or is less likely to be hiring).

All that being said, it never hurts to try. There are always unique situations that come up and you may get lucky!

Can't speak for other pharmacies, but CVS probably wouldn't be interested in hiring you because of the long training process involved... But it probably would be ok if you said you would stay on as an intern and maybe work a couple of hours each week or during holidays.

as someone mentioned earlier, since your are starting in fall, enjoy yourself before school starts.

If you are doing it for experience, I suggest maybe interning or volunteering. If you are doing it to get cash, find something else.

It took me 6 months to find a job as a tech without prior experience (only 3 months of interning). I told my friend who got accepted this year that finding a tech job is hard. Since he already got in, there's really no need for it unless he wants to see what he's getting himself into or some extra experience. Even so, volunteering and shadowing is sufficient. Why work in your last summer before pharmacy school starts? Take a vacation.

I found some online programs for pharmacy tech training. One program offers 20-30 hours of externship in walgreens. I work fulltime as a fisheries professional and I can't afford to quit this job to become a pharm tech to get experience in pharmacy practice. The online program says they will talk with walgreens and arrange the externship. It might be possible for me to do this externship on Saturdays and gain some experience. Do you think an externship experience would be sufficient and impressive on my application for the pharm D program?
The only drawback of the online programs is they are very expensive around 2000 bucks!

I enrolled in a pharmacy tech certification course about two years ago. The classes only met on Saturdays. That program had guaranteed externship positions. It spared me the hassle of trying to get into a pharmacy job on my own. After I completed the course and externship, my state board of pharmacy sent me my license. I found it very convenient and worthwhile.

If you've got the money, I'd say go for it. Given your work schedule, this might be one of the easier ways. A little experience is better than nothing.

Just my two grand :)

Thanks for the advice! I NEED to make some cash this summer, but i've already paid for the test, so i'll still take it and get certified and whatever opens up immediately in or out of pharmacy, I will have to take. Thanks!

I am trying to apply for the pharmacy technician certification exam online. On the "training and sponsorship information" page, the applicaton asks for the state in which I was trained and the school in which I was trained. I do not have any training in pharmacy technician profession. So what option do I choose from the scroll down menu?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

I am only going off of memory but I only remember filling in training at the 'BigEvil' here in town.

Although I took a Pharmacy Technician Certification Review by Ted Spader and Mark Sheppard and a Four-Month Course at the Community College, I can't remember whether I filled those in or not.

I don't remember this exactly. Is it state specific? What state are you in? In North Carolina, I don't remember what I chose. I probably chose the Community College.

Sorry if that doesn't help. Maybe email them. Good Luck with the exam!

Steven

I don't remember either, but I had no formal training. I either selected community college or no training (if that's an option). I don't think it matters what you put there. Either way, you'll still get your letter that permits you to take the test, assuming there are no irregularities or felonies on your application.

I put PTCB for school and Florida because I took the exam in Florida :)

I don't think you have to fill that out, tbh.

The scroll down menu gives names of different states and schools and the only option left for me was "state not listed" and "school not listed". They do not have an option like "no training" . Since there was a red asterisk mark, it is a must answer thing, so I had no choice other than clicking "school not listed" and "state not listed" Actually I do not have a training in pharm tech at all. Well, I went ahead submited my application! I got an e-mail confirmation letter and I already scheduled my date for 26th May. I hope there wouldn't be a problem with my application.

Thanks friends for your help!