Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what about our PTCB licenses? my LA state license expires june 30th and my national PTCB license expires july 31st, but i am planning on moving to austin in june. i won't be able to get my intern license for a month or 2 after classes start from my understanding. am i just going to be SOL to work as a tech once i move to TX until i get my intern license? i'm assuming it will take a while to get certified by the TX state board and even so, it would only be for about 2-3 months until i get my intern license. anyone who moved out of state for pharm school over the summer have any experience with this? thanks in advance.

Yes, you will probably be SOL. If Texas is like most SBOP, you will be required to send in your tech license in order to get that intern license. If you don't send it in then you can't work as an intern.

You need to call the TXSBOP.

Members don't see this ad.

I know in Florida an intern license outweighs a tech license, so if you haven't gotten it yet, there's no point to unless you won't start school for a year or two.

what about our PTCB licenses? my LA state license expires june 30th and my national PTCB license expires july 31st, but i am planning on moving to austin in june. i won't be able to get my intern license for a month or 2 after classes start from my understanding. am i just going to be SOL to work as a tech once i move to TX until i get my intern license? i'm assuming it will take a while to get certified by the TX state board and even so, it would only be for about 2-3 months until i get my intern license. anyone who moved out of state for pharm school over the summer have any experience with this? thanks in advance.

Texas pharmacy students CANNOT be interns until they've completed their P1 year and their paperwork has been processed.

If you want to work during P1 year, it will have to be as a tech, so keep your tech license up to date.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas pharmacy students CANNOT be interns until they've completed their P1 year and their paperwork has been processed.

If you want to work during P1 year, it will have to be as a tech, so keep your tech license up to date.

yep, i just found this out today. thanks for the the correcting me. i called the TX board of pharmacy today to find out what i need to do but had to leave a message. looks like i should renew my PTCB license and let my LA state license expire if i'm moving before then anyway right? i'm hoping i can at least send in all my paperwork for a TX tech license before moving since it'll take a few weeks to process.

Do you know where I can enroll in a pharmacy tech program? I live in New Jersey and I want to become a pharmacy tech. I am currently in my second semester of college completing prepharm prerequisites full time. What is the shortest amount of schooling I can go through to become a CPHT? and how much does it usually cost? I have asked around to volunteer at the hospital, retail stores and they all said no. I am sick of asking around to volunteer.

Should I take an online course?

Yeah I was just thinking of buying this book and just study by my self and take the test.
http://www.amazon.com/Pharmacy-Technician-Perspective-Press/dp/0895827360/ref=pd_sim_b_2

The test isn't very hard. You don't need any special program to take the test or even to pass the test. At least that's how it was when I took it in 2007. Just buy the test prep book, which is like 50 bucks, and then you're most likely good to go.

I have been asking around (from hospitals, CVS, Walgreens, Private Pharmacy, Stop and Shop Pharmacy) and they all said no to volunteering. Right now I am studying to become a certified pharmacy tech and I was wondering if it will be easier for me to apply for a tech job once I am certified. I have no experience however. And also how can someone want to take me if I am only certified but with no prior experience?
Lastly, Do I get my certification immediately after i pass the PCTB exam? and what should I do next to get the license? I live in NJ but I might be taking the test in NY since it is much closer to where I live. Is this possible?

thank you.

Sorry I keep asking this question.

I have been asking around (from hospitals, CVS, Walgreens, Private Pharmacy, Stop and Shop Pharmacy) and they all said no to volunteering. Right now I am studying to become a certified pharmacy tech and I was wondering if it will be easier for me to apply for a tech job once I am certified. I have no experience however. And also how can someone want to take me if I am only certified but I have no prior experience?
Lastly, Do I get my certification immediately after i pass the PCTB exam? and what should I do next to get the license? I live in NJ but I might be taking the test in NY since it is much closer to where I live. Is this possible?
I am also not looking to work many hours. I just want to be a tech to gain experience.

thank you.

I'm sorry you had to repeat yourself twice in a forum. Don't do that again. Edit your other one to be requested for deletion.

A lot of chain store pharmacies these days require certification. I know in Texas they implemented fingerprinting into state certification, so it's (even more) serious business these days.

You really don't need to volunteer in a pharmacy before getting certified.

One suggestion - have you tried volunteering at independent pharmacies? Good Neighbor, although it's more of a chain, has an independent feel to it. Otherwise, it's the mom n' pop shop(pe)s that are your best bet.

Last edited:
And also how can someone want to take me if I am only certified but with no prior experience?
They don't really, not anymore anyway. Some people in certain geographical areas still get jobs with just certification but since it requires a good deal of on the job training, big companies seem to be shying away from it. That said, I was hired sans experience, although it was in early 2009. Generally speaking, the PTCE is piss-easy and potential employers know that.

Do I get my certification immediately after i pass the PCTB exam?
yes and no - you're told "Hey you passed, woot!" or "Woops you failed" right when the test ends and they'll give you a print out. It'd be up to a prospective employer whether to acknowledge that as a "certification" but they may require the hard copy (which arrives in 30-45 days, it'll be printed on your sheet).

and what should I do next to get the license?
Everyone's BOP is different however you'll prolly need to send a notarized copy of your cert. once it arrives along with some money, finger prints, and an application.

No idea about taking the exam in a different state than the one you live in. Check pTCB.org, though, they may have an FAQ for it.

Certification is necessary but not sufficient.

Unfortunately, that isn't 100% accurate or true, and you know in science, once you can find one example of something contradicting you, you have to include that possibility!

In some places, the hard copy cert. can get you a job.

Not sure what you are trying to imply here. No place hires solely based on certification. None whatsoever. You know that some place you are talking about doesn't hire every single person walking in with a certificate. There are such restrictions as labor allowance, number of work places, space availability, total revenue, even skill level filters are sometimes imposed. Although, your mere passion for casual argument will perhaps force you into disproving this too. :)

bleh, didn't see this was a duplicate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what you are trying to imply here. No place hires solely based on certification. None whatsoever. You know that some place you are talking about doesn't hire every single person walking in with a certificate. There are such restrictions as labor allowance, number of work places, space availability, total revenue, even skill level filters are sometimes imposed. Although, your mere passion for casual argument will perhaps force you into disproving this too. :)

I was hired based on certification in lieu of the license approval... So for the "60 days" ( more like 5 months, thanks furloughs and such) it took for my license to pend I was permitted to fill the duties of pharmacy technician. There is no "middle stage" of license - You either have it or you don't. Therefore, I was indeed hired based solely on my cert. And I'm not alone, there are several examples here on SDN of folks that were hired sans license. Now, whether or not their license was pending was not at all a criterion for my rebuttal of your statement.

Gotcha!
:idea:

I was hired based on certification in lieu of the license approval... So for the "60 days" ( more like 5 months, thanks furloughs and such) it took for my license to pend I was permitted to fill the duties of pharmacy technician. There is no "middle stage" of license - You either have it or you don't. Therefore, I was indeed hired based solely on my cert. And I'm not alone, there are several examples here on SDN of folks that were hired sans license. Now, whether or not their license was pending was not at all a criterion for my rebuttal of your statement.

Gotcha!
:idea:

You are telling me that you got hired without a certificate. Heck, I myself worked for 4-5 months without being certified! I agree that you could get a job initially without taking the test. However, the OP was asking if having the paper alone will guarantee a job. And I said no. To which you objected. If it were the case, however, every certified tech would have a job which is by far not the case judging based on these forums alone. In other words, being certified increases you chances significantly to get a job, but that's not a given you will get one if you hold the paper.

See :)

It doesn't guarantee you a job, but it is possible to get a job with just the certification and no prior pharmacy experience. It's not easy though. I got certified in 2006, and didn't get a job as a tech until November of last year! I'm not trying to say it's gonna take you three years to get a job, but you might wind up applying for a lot of different positions before finally getting hired. Part of my problem was that I was trying to get a part time job while I was in school when everyone wants full time, but after graduating the ability to work full time opened more doors for me. With the economy how it is, it's hard when you're already competing with experienced techs for only a few jobs.

It is not necessary to enroll in a tech program, unless you just like wasting your money and time. Do you know how to do basic math? You can pass the test. If you want to be sure, you can buy a study book off Amazon and skim through it the week before the test.

It doesn't guarantee you a job, but it is possible to get a job with just the certification and no prior pharmacy experience. It's not easy though. I got certified in 2006, and didn't get a job as a tech until November of last year! I'm not trying to say it's gonna take you three years to get a job, but you might wind up applying for a lot of different positions before finally getting hired. Part of my problem was that I was trying to get a part time job while I was in school when everyone wants full time, but after graduating the ability to work full time opened more doors for me. With the economy how it is, it's hard when you're already competing with experienced techs for only a few jobs.

Not necessarily. Right now everyone is looking for experience. Currently, I am a National Certified Technician since December. I have been applying everywhere, but that might just be in Maryland!! It's all good I guess it will help me in Pharmacy school

One suggestion - have you tried volunteering at independent pharmacies? Good Neighbor, although it's more of a chain, has an independent feel to it. Otherwise, it's the mom n' pop shop(pe)s that are your best bet.

+1 for this. After I got my PTCB and then CPhT, I tried applying for months at chains and at county health care system. Didn't get hired. Eventually, I learned of an independent pharmacy where I could volunteer (it happens to be a Good Neighbor Pharmacy, but I don't think anyone really notices) and I've been getting experience since.

I have been asking around (from hospitals, CVS, Walgreens, Private Pharmacy, Stop and Shop Pharmacy) and they all said no to volunteering. Right now I am studying to become a certified pharmacy tech and I was wondering if it will be easier for me to apply for a tech job once I am certified. I have no experience however. And also how can someone want to take me if I am only certified but with no prior experience?

thank you.

Are you planning on getting a PharmD? If so, when would you start?

I only ask because once you start school, you will be an intern, which is higher than the certification, so if you are going to start this year, there isn't really a point to waste the time to obtain the certification in my opinion. It's different everywhere, but here in FL you must be a registered pharmacy tech, but not necessarily certified everywhere...

thank you.

I'm sorry you been goin through that. I'm not sure of how pharmacy works in the northeast but if similar to Texas, I know that chain Pharmacies really aren't helpful in volenteer or hiring these days. They're more attentive to regulations and experince relating to their company. ask any CVS or Walgreens pharm tech they either worked in the store in another department or they got years of exp behind them. Even with cetification it only will land you a volenteer job for the time being. However i would take volenteer work since experince counts paycheck or not. Your best bet for volenteer work is independent pharmacies and if your area has one a medical center (they seem to love a corious mind waltzing in). I spent countless months volenteering and shadowing at University hospital and a independent pharmacy working with sterile medicine before i got hired. the one piece of advice i know does work though is once someone lets you behind the counter ask questions always, do the jobs that hardly anyone wants to do or even dare not do, and be on time regardless of the fact it doesn't pay. It reflects well and often times it softens a pharmacist up enough to reccomend you or at least keep you in mind should he/she ever need a new hire.

thank you.

tomcruiselol01.gif

Two things.

To an above poster: not all states allow P1's to become interns. Some require you to complete P1 year first.

To the quoted poster, you're painting with very broad strokes by making a statement about all chain pharmacies in Texas. We live in a huge state, so you have to know what's true in one area can easily be false elsewhere. My friend and I were both hired by chains, with only a CPhT cert.and NO experience. During my job interview, the pharmacist seemed pleased to be bringing in a pre-pharmer.
I'm sorry you been goin through that. I'm not sure of how pharmacy works in the northeast but if similar to Texas, I know that chain Pharmacies really aren't helpful in volenteer or hiring these days. They're more attentive to regulations and experince relating to their company. ask any CVS or Walgreens pharm tech they either worked in the store in another department or they got years of exp behind them. Even with cetification it only will land you a volenteer job for the time being. However i would take volenteer work since experince counts paycheck or not. Your best bet for volenteer work is independent pharmacies and if your area has one a medical center (they seem to love a corious mind waltzing in). I spent countless months volenteering and shadowing at University hospital and a independent pharmacy working with sterile medicine before i got hired. the one piece of advice i know does work though is once someone lets you behind the counter ask questions always, do the jobs that hardly anyone wants to do or even dare not do, and be on time regardless of the fact it doesn't pay. It reflects well and often times it softens a pharmacist up enough to reccomend you or at least keep you in mind should he/she ever need a new hire.

Lol.

To the OP: I was hired half a year ago at a Rite Aid pharmacy with no experience and no certification. I did have a degree though and they were willing to train me. I literally made a list of all the pharmacies within 15 miles of my home with all of their phone numbers. I called every single one and only one store showed interest in me... but they did eventually end up hiring me and I am still working there today. After getting your certification, just be honest and say you have no experience but that you are certified and willing to be trained. Call MANY different pharmacies. Be persistent... it will pay off.

03/31/2010
I am currently residing in Largo, FL. It's so hard to find pharmacy tech jobs. I am certified with a few months experience! Any help?

Same here, I got certified and registered in California and still cant find a pharm tech job

Sans experience it'll be next to impossible... the best thing you can really do is try to get a foot in the door somewhere as a volunteer and keep saying, "Hey you know I have a license..."

You might not get a job, but at least you might get more duties than a volunteer w/o the license.

I am planning on going to phlebotomy school at Pima Medical Institute. I want to use a BSN in Nursing to get into the U of A or Midwestern in Glendale. I would like to know if after getting an RN at Mesa Community College, would it be worth it to go to pharmacy tech school? I am ambitious and would like to know more.

The vast majority of users here will tell you not to go to tech school.

If you REAAAAALLY want to be PTCB certified just work at Walgreens. They pay for you to get trained and certified. I don't understand why you would want to become a tech if you have a nursing degree. That's a pretty nice pay cut.

Having a Pharmacy Tech license does not guarantee that you will get a job, nor does it really help you get accepted into a program. Most of the applicants that university's see have their PharmTech license. However, it cant hurt you either.

http://www.parade.com/news/what-people-earn/slideshows/real-people-salary-2010.html?index=34

I saw this over the weekend, and I am wondering when this happened. I worked as a tech for 4 years, and I was lucky to make nearly 12/hour toward the end, so somewhere near $24,000 a year.

If this is what they are telling prospective students for pharmacy tech school, I can understand why people are paying several thousand to go to school for this!

Is this way off? Or have tech salaries gone up that much?:confused:

http://www.parade.com/news/what-people-earn/slideshows/real-people-salary-2010.html?index=34

I saw this over the weekend, and I am wondering when this happened. I worked as a tech for 4 years, and I was lucky to make nearly 12/hour toward the end, so somewhere near $24,000 a year.

If this is what they are telling prospective students for pharmacy tech school, I can understand why people are paying several thousand to go to school for this!

I make about 40-45K a year (much less after taxes, of course) when holiday pay and overtime are added in. Some of our techs are indeed making a bit more than that because they have been here a long time.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?

I make about 40-45K a year (much less after taxes, of course) when holiday pay and overtime are added in. Some of our techs are indeed making a bit more than that because they have been here a long time.

Hmmm, I guess that really is about the $15 an hour mark, which here is only at hospitals, retail is around the $10 an hour range($40,000 is) . I just don't think it is necessarily a representative salary of the whole population of techs. Then again, the RPh in the article made $143,000. Also, not representative of the whole population.

I make $20/hr which translates into about $38000-ish gross. But, I get overtime and holiday pay, benefits, blahblah so I gross about 40-45K at the end of the year.

I work in a hospital.

Thats pretty funny you posted this. I read that magazine and seen that yesterday and started laughing. At my hospital, it is definately possible to make that much, but I agree with you, that the average of all pharm techs is not that high. I also wish the magazine would have stated what type of pharmacist the guy was who made $143,000. I wonder if that was an independent owner,hospital,clinical,retail,nuclear, etc?

That seems to be best case. Here, the max for a Tech III is a little over 48k. Tech II maxes around 42k. This is at the University of Iowa. You can actually search for this here: http://data.press-citizen-media.com/salaries/
Just enter "pharmacy technician ii" or "iii" under the title and select U of I from employer and it will list them all. I think there is another title that involves trainee, but the search function is fairly limited, it uses exact match only (tech != technician).

Yea hospital techs get paid a lot more than retail. Prior to working as a tech, I worked at a hospital as a medication courier. I just brought the drugs from the pharmacy to their respective rooms. Even doing that, not as a tech, I was paid 16/hour. Now I work retail and make 25kish a year lol.

Yea hospital techs get paid a lot more than retail. Prior to working as a tech, I worked at a hospital as a medication courier. I just brought the drugs from the pharmacy to their respective rooms. Even doing that, not as a tech, I was paid 16/hour. Now I work retail and make 25kish a year lol.

Depends on the retail tech, I was getting paid $18/hr for my extensive knowledge of several areas. The highest paid ones in that company were making $24/hr. Just depends on the business and what it is you do.

Anyone who is saying that is an average for any type of tech on a national scale is lying, plain and simple.

That site can't be accurate.

Earl Malan X-ray technician $115,000 WTF?!!?!?
Doran Fink Pediatrician $47,000 :confused:

I wonder if the pediatrician is still in residency? That is probably pretty accurate if so.

Anyone who is saying that is an average for any type of tech on a national scale is lying, plain and simple.

Yeah seriously. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a very large percentage of techs in all areas work in retail, which pays less than hospitals do (funny how it seems to be the opposite for pharmacists). I live in an area where the starting pay is generally higher and retail techs (in the larger chain stores) generally make 35,000 at most. I often hear about techs starting out at minimum wage if they're not certified and a small increase with experience/certification. There's no way the average salary in the US could work out to be that much.

It's got my salary right....

The pediatrician could just be a half-time line. I have no idea about the x-ray tech making 115k though.

I also wish the magazine would have stated what type of pharmacist the guy was who made $143,000. I wonder if that was an independent owner,hospital,clinical,retail,nuclear, etc?

Retail pharmacist in a relatively high crime area would make that much.

There was one position that was open for a pharmacist to make 186K per year in a city in my state with more than twice the average crime rate in the US.