Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just looking around at some of the technicians I work with, this "tech to tech" check crap scares me. Our pharmacist organizations better not let this happen here in US. In fact, I think our Pharmacist organizations need to grow a pair and start advocating on behalf of pharmacists....but, of course, I am probably wasting my breath on this one...

Members don't see this ad.

Recently a bill has been passed in BC that technicians can perform final checks, take verbal rxs, and more without the pharmacist checking it.

With this being done, I fear that pharmacists will no longer be needed in the future? that we will be replaced in 5 - 10 years as technicians seek to expand their scope more and more.

http://www.captvancouver.ca/PDF Files/FAQ - BC Technician Certification and Regulation.pdf

There is another way to look at this: maybe dispensing isn't what being a pharmacist is all about. While I am all for patient safety, the idea that pharmacists primarily exist to dispense drugs is no longer accurate. I'm all for technicians having more responsibility if it gives pharmacists more time to do the things that our extensive education teaches us to do...care for patients and their drug-related needs.

The average technician is about 2 brain cells short of qualifying as legally ******ed. Techs will never, I repeat never be the ones to verify a prescription or take over the main aspects of the pharmacist's role. What techs are currently doing in the U.S. (all mechanical type duties) is all about they're ever gonna do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is why I am opposed to the idea that techs in canada are given this new responsibility to do final checks on prescriptions.

Just looking around at some of the technicians I work with, this "tech to tech" check crap scares me. Our pharmacist organizations better not let this happen here in US. In fact, I think our Pharmacist organizations need to grow a pair and start advocating on behalf of pharmacists....but, of course, I am probably wasting my breath on this one...

Judging by many posts on this board.. pharmacists have no backbone. This needs to change. But, it wont.

I don't think the college of pharmacist is stupid enough to make pharmacists obsolete. Everyone is focusing on the "losses" but have not looked at the gains.
In BC, legislation has already been passed to allow for pharmacist to manage medication therapy independently (at least the potential to legally do so).
http://www.bcpharmacists.org/about_us/key_initiatives/index/articles29.php

Pharmacy technicians have no footing to take on more cognitive roles. Their education is focused on medication distribution NOT THERAPEUTICS. Once legislation passes, they will be playing dispensing roles. This in fact may take dispensing jobs from pharmacists but will provide a larger pharmacist work force to take on clinical roles. To me, it seems like a profession's "turf" is invaded when he/she can not meet the demand, ie. physicians with NP, PA's. There is definitely no shortage of pharmacists, especially in urban centres. Waterloo will be graduating their first batch of pharmacists next year.
If anyone is interested in the pharmacist technician scope/education in BC:
http://www.bcpharmacists.org/about_us/key_initiatives/index/articles27.php

Canada seems to be making great progress with pharmacist expanded scope compared to the US. As future pharmacists/ pharmacy students, we should be focussing on providing better patient care and creating better pharmacy practice settings.
This is a good summary of the scope expansion of pharmacists in the different provinces:
http://www.pharmacygateway.ca/microsite/expandyourscope/provincial-summary.html

Unlike other midlevel practitioners who are essentially "replacing" physicians. Pharmacists are expanding our scope to better empower patients to take care of their own health, more effectively manage drug therapy in a cost effective manner, and to prevent adverse effects/costs from inappropriate or over prescribing. In Canada, we see more post-graduate community residencies available, and more funding for pharmacists to go out of community pharmacies and into family health teams (medical clinics with various health professionals) to manage patient's health.

I completely agree. Everyone bitches and complains but no one attempts to take a more proactive role. I completely intend on joining groups to support the pharmacist movement when I go to school. We need representation and people to lobby for us. I'm only one person, but I care enough to at least show my support. With healthcare reform underway, now is an important time for pharmacists to put their foot down and ensure our profession progresses with the others. Every little bit counts.

I completely agree. Everyone bitches and complains but no one attempts to take a more proactive role. I completely intend on joining groups to support the pharmacist movement when I go to school. We need representation and people to lobby for us. I'm only one person, but I care enough to at least show my support. With healthcare reform underway, now is an important time for pharmacists to put their foot down and ensure our profession progresses with the others. Every little bit counts.

:thumbup: I'm with you, buddy.

What's the point of pharmacists going to school to earn a PharmD if their knowledge can apparently be replicated by a breezy certification? This is a big mistake imo. I don't know much about what would be required for that certification, but you can be a huge idiot and still have a tech license here (I'm surrounded by them), and I would never want someone like that filling prescriptions without a pharmacist final checking. Expect a big increase in potentially fatal errors.

:laugh: Luckily I don't feel that way about my co-workers, but in general you're so right.

Its amazing how scared of a challenge so many pre-pharmers are. Seems like all these kids decided to do pharmacy and now that its not a "sure thing" they are all scared and want to go hide in a corner. Well I kind of hope you all do go hide in a corner so my position as a pharmacist will be that much easier to obtain in the future. Nothing in life is a sure thing and you have to take risks. Im sick of all these pansies crying because they can obviously see into the future and in the future there are 0 pharmacists. Well good luck with your crystal ball, im gona go out and be what I have always wanted to be.

:rofl::laugh:

Ahhh good times.

Recently a bill has been passed in BC that technicians can perform final checks, take verbal rxs, and more without the pharmacist checking it.

With this being done, I fear that pharmacists will no longer be needed in the future? that we will be replaced in 5 - 10 years as technicians seek to expand their scope more and more.

http://www.captvancouver.ca/PDF Files/FAQ - BC Technician Certification and Regulation.pdf

I read stuff like this and realize how completely clueless most people are, especially pre-pharmers, about what a pharmacists job actually entails. You think all a pharmacist does is "check, take verbal rxs, and more"???...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE people get a job in a pharmacy, or shadow, because the things you say are outrageous. I've been a pharmacist in both retail and a hospital, and even the best techs with the most knowledge would NEVER be able to come close to performing a pharmacists job.
Let this example put your minds at ease atleast. My hospital (years ago) used to have a thing called the "tech check", where techs checked everything. Also, techs used to input the orders and the pharmacists actually went and filled it, and like I stated earlier techs were allowed to check. Obviously now, techs aren't able to do any of that because there is way too much knowledge that only a pharmacist contains. Long story short folks, this will never happen. If more of you worked in the setting, you would realize that techs would never be able to adequately do a pharmacists job. Just thinking about our best tech with 20+ years experience trying to do a pharmacists job actually makes me laugh. Thank you and goodnight!

*Sigh* Nowadays, it seems like every English speaking world has poor prospects for pharmacists.

*Sigh* Nowadays, it seems like every English speaking world has poor prospects for pharmacists.

It seems that way because that's the attitude du jour for these forums particularly.

The reality is, there are still jobs, even in California... they're just not in San Francisco, Los Angeles or Orange County. They're in Modesto, Visalia, Manteca, Daly City and Stockton, etc.

People are people and thus are simply not flexible. "I don't want to live there", "I don't feel like moving", etc... I hear it all the time from residents and interns at my hospital.

I had a conversation with one of the residents in AmCare who will be leaving on June 30th this year.

Me: Hey, have you figured out what you're doing for employment at the end of your residency?

Him: Nope...

Me: So you're just going to be unemployed?

Him: Well, there are some jobs in the central valley, but who wants to live there? I like the bay.

Me: Facepalm.

There are retail AND clinical spots open in the valley, but no one wants to take the hit on quality of life and move there, so they just complain about the job market instead. People who can't get their intern hours right now can graduate and then get their hours as paid intern/tech level, then sit for NAPLEX. Not the end of the world, but people are just simply not flexible.

As a pre-pharmer, and a man who grew up with a father as a pharmacist. I am still optimistic about the profession. If you work harder than other people, put in your time and look for opportunities you can succeed. At least that is my plan. I also believe that we as future pharmacists need to grow up and stand up for our profession. That’s right be an active voice for the role of the pharmacist. Lobby state, local and Federal government to secure the role of pharmacists!!! You need to talk to whoever will listen about the benefits of their community pharmacist! I cannot count the number of times from working in a pharmacy I encounter people who have no idea what pharmacist do, and the skills they have! So you educate them! That is the only way we will survive as a profession in the medical profession crunch.

I personally would like to stay in rural Maryland, but will move anywhere in the US for a job when I get out of school. I do not care because I will need a job, to provide for my family and pay off debt. Even if it’s to work at a CVS, Walgreens, or a small hospital in nowhere USA whatever I am down for it! Physicians have the AMA, Dentists ADA, and Nurses have their own association. We have a tone of associations….JOIN THEM All AND GET INVOLVED! If you do not like what is happening in BC then in the USA you make sure it will not happen by fighting the ass hat multinational corps who only care about profits.

To my fellow Pre-pharmers who are wining and bitching the sky is falling, get an umbrella or find a new path! There are other things you can do for a living!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, that must be why I was waitlisted. didn't realize there were only 2 in there.

i completely agree. Everyone bitches and complains but no one attempts to take a more proactive role. I completely intend on joining groups to support the pharmacist movement when i go to school. We need representation and people to lobby for us. I'm only one person, but i care enough to at least show my support. With healthcare reform underway, now is an important time for pharmacists to put their foot down and ensure our profession progresses with the others. Every little bit counts.

+1

I'm all for expanding the role of pharmacists. But I want pharmacists still have their traditional roles of dispensing. That task seems simple enough, yet technicians are not qualified to do the final check, period. Don't get me wrong, I was a technican before.
From a technician to a pharmacist is a giant gap.We care for patients, and we are educated to protect patients. We are liable for patient well-being at higher stake. We do the check with passion and responsibility. We take the oath. All of those qualities were never assessed from the technicians. The fact is that all politicians and insurance companies want to eliminate this pharmacist task to save the money for their pockets. They have nothing but greed. Don't be fooled by their promise. We fight to keep our roles and we fight to expand the recognition.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Considering that you don't need to know **** to be a tech, I predict some major errors. WTF is Canada thinking??

Taking scripts without verification? Doing final checks? Are you kidding me? The techs I work with wouldn't know Vytorin from Vicodin. Well, better get some damn good liability insurance! :rolleyes:

I have an interview at Giant Eagle this friday for a pharmacy technician job with a recruiter. Do you guys think a nice pair of dress pants and a nice shirt with no tie would be ok. Im a guy i dont wanna underdress or overdress..Thanks for ur help!

It's a job interview, dress well...Nice long button up shirt nice slacks, shine and clean your shoes, you don't need to go out and buy a $15,000 suit. Don't go in there like you're about to go to a Lil Wayne concert.

Good Luck!

I'd say to def wear your favorite football jersey. That, with some FUBU jeans and some jordans and I bet you'll have the job easily!

I do think that you should go with a tie. Male pharmacists and pharmacy technicians currently have to wear dress shirts, ties, and nice pants every day where I work. I have always stuck with the standard that you should dress a step higher for an interview than the company's dress code, but I do think that a suit would be overkill.

I would also say that you should wear a tie. A lot of retail pharmacies require men to wear ties, even as techs.

I think a suit is too much. Dress shirt, slacks or khakis and a tie should be good enough. This is what I wore and I got the job.

I wore nothing and still got a job.

I do think that you should go with a tie. Male pharmacists and pharmacy technicians currently have to wear dress shirts, ties, and nice pants every day where I work. I have always stuck with the standard that you should dress a step higher for an interview than the company's dress code, but I do think that a suit would be overkill.
Lol, that sucks. Target red + khaki FTW.

OP, wear a polo/dress shirt with khakis or slacks. No tie, otherwise you'll look like a *****.

Just wear a suit and you'll have nothing to worry about. There are so many of these threads. Just wear a suit, people. :thumbup:

+1.

Yes to the tie - Dress pants, shirt and tie is the dress code at most pharmacies. No to the suit - way overdoing it.

I never understood why professional for males = shirt + tie + slacks and professional for females = anything but jeans.

Not sure about that. I mean it's not like tank tops and capris are acceptable. We men have it pretty easy. Throw on a shirt + tie, pull up the pants, put on some shoes and out the door. Women have hair-do's, make-up, etc. Sometimes it seems like girls can get away with more, but really they have a professional dress code as well, some women just choose to ignore it, the same way some men do. I admit that woman do seem to get away with more when it comes to breaking dress code. Still I wouldn't want to trade a tie for make-up, stockings or hair that takes more than a minute to brush. :laugh:

Here in the uncivilized part of North America (the United States) numerous retail stores will offer paid training. Not sure about Canada...

The only thing is... what do I wear??

I need help! I'm not sure how formal I have to be!

Bump!

I'm thinking dress pants and a dress shirt, with normal white shoes (would the shoes matter?)

The only thing is... what do I wear??

I need help! I'm not sure how formal I have to be!

What exactly does a pharmacy assistant do? Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard of such a position.

Way to go! tech or assistant help out with the various pharmacy tasks at work. Might be filling prescriptions, ringing customers up, answering the phone, data entry, paperwork, stocking and returning medication, talking to insurance and whatever else the pharmacist might want you to do. It's a lot of fun and good luck with your new job.

What exactly does a pharmacy assistant do? Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard of such a position.

Well up here in Canada, we can't just get a tech job (requires a $10,000 course).

The only job offered in order to gain pharmacy experience is a pharmacy assistant or like mentioned above, tech assistant.

Now I'm just confused on what to wear!

Well up here in Canada, we can't just get a tech job (requires a $10,000 course).

The only job offered in order to gain pharmacy experience is a pharmacy assistant or like mentioned above, tech assistant.

Now I'm just confused on what to wear!

So you are an assistant to a pharm tech? Ok, you should wear the following:
1) fubu mesh jersey (you know with the 05 on it)
2) lugz (birdman edition)
3)Southpole jeans

You will be dressing baller for the interview!

I registered on the PTCB website to take the certification exam in March. I had intentions of taking the exam during spring break and hopefully finding a job and pharmacy experience over the summer, but I got caught up with school and didn't have time to study for it and take the exam.

Now I've been accepted in Pharmacy School, and I have until June 13th to take the exam. Is it worth it to take the exam when after my P1 year I will be considered an intern? Is there any benefit that I am glancing over? Or should I just cancel and refund my registration money?

I registered on the PTCB website to take the certification exam in March. I had intentions of taking the exam during spring break and hopefully finding a job and pharmacy experience over the summer, but I got caught up with school and didn't have time to study for it and take the exam.

Now I've been accepted in Pharmacy School, and I have until June 13th to take the exam. Is it worth it to take the exam when after my P1 year I will be considered an intern? Is there any benefit that I am glancing over? Or should I just cancel and refund my registration money?
While you could make up the money in theory by working at an increased wage due to certification, I'd still forgo the test and get the refund as you likely wouldn't be working as a CphT that much during p1.

So the order goes like this:

1) Pharmacist
2) Tech
3) Tech's Assistant
4) Tech's Assistant's Assistant
5) Janitor

Am I missing something?