Pharmacy Technician Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So the order goes like this:

1) Pharmacist
2) Tech
3) Tech's Assistant
4) Tech's Assistant's Assistant
5) Janitor

Am I missing something?

uhhhhh the tech's assistant has an assistant.

WTF does the pharmacist do in canada....i am sooo confused!

Members don't see this ad.

Cancel and get ur money back.

1. how likely are you going to get a job with a license for just a few short months?

2. you're already accepted, why bother?

3. relax before school starts

4. see second point

It's not like every pharmacy has an abundance of tech assistants. I don't know of many places that actually do have them.

Pretty much a tech aide is like a henchman that goes about and counts pills, rings stuff in, and other super fun menial tasks. And there's no formal training for them, it's more or less on-the-job training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work as Pharmac Assistant /informal Technician in Vancouver too. I wouldn't go all formal.. its just like any other job. I wear a nice pair of denim jeans and a nice semi-casual dress-shirt.

My duties as a pharmacy assistant/technician(not sure on the naming) include:

-Cashier, ringing in all the prescriptions and any items within the pharmacy
-Getting the prescriptions/re-fill orders
-stock, finances, paperwork
-ordering of supplies and Rx from the various suppliers, getting invoices, ect.
-Running to and from the bank making deposits as necessary
-Put supplies for other medical people on account, and purchase prescriptions on-demand from other pharmacy's

I basically do EVERYTHING in the pharmacy, but prepare the prescriptions. The pharmacy manager prepares the prescriptions and does the consults. I do the rest. :laugh:

Hope that sorta explains what pharmacy assistants do in Canada. I'm at Pharmasave, a nice medium sized operation.

Oh, I had wanted to work a pharm. assistant/tech. before, but they all say that I would need to be accredited first :(

How did you get yours? Thanks!!!

I wouldn't go all formal.. its just like any other job. I wear a nice pair of denim jeans and a nice semi-casual dress-shirt.

I was gonna go with a dress-shirt/pants, I just don't wanna show up to my first day at work looking like a goof.

All my jeans are baggy, so wearing jeans + dress shirt will make me look like a disaster, on the other hand, when I do look dressed up, I look horrible because of the proportions of my body :/

*also a pharmacy assistant*

It wouldn't be silly to ask what the dress code is (don't say "what should I wear?")

In general it's: black slacks/dress pants (not jeans, not khakis, not track pants, not sweat pants), white collared shirt, black or dark coloured shoes (not "running shoes", but you might be able to get away with a more athletic style shoe for the sake of comfort)

Really, it's not that hard or much of a mystery. Of course this totally depends on the chain/store, as each has their own uniform and dress code.

i was gonna go with a dress-shirt/pants, i just don't wanna show up to my first day at work looking like a goof.

All my jeans are baggy, so wearing jeans + dress shirt will make me look like a disaster, on the other hand, when i do look dressed up, i look horrible because of the proportions of my body :/

do not wear jeans

Lol, wtf is going on in Canada?? The tech has an assistant?!?? ....Weird :laugh:

It's not like every pharmacy has an abundance of tech assistants. I don't know of many places that actually do have them.

Pretty much a tech aide is like a henchman that goes about and counts pills, rings stuff in, and other super fun menial tasks. And there's no formal training for them, it's more or less on-the-job training.

So what does the tech do? That seems like everything that doesn't have to be done by a pharmacist.

Lol, wtf is going on in Canada?? The tech has an assistant?!?? ....Weird :laugh:

My thoughts exactly..when I become a tech in a couple months I will lobby to have my own assistant.

Duties and responsibilities shall include but not limited too: doing all my non-important work, retrieving my gatorade when Im thirsty, paying for lunch, getting hot chicks to walk by the pharmacy windows, and setting up a xbox to play while on break.

Sounds great!

I can't speak for other jurisdictions, but in British Columbia pharmacy technicians are NOT regulated, so some pharmacy chains simply title the job "pharmacy assistant". The chain I work for titles the job as such. We are equivalent to "technicians", and DO NOT "assist " "technicians" (as there is no such position, at least at the chain I work for). It's just a label, and really the term has no meaning, as pharmacy technicians/assistants are not regulated (as of now at least; pharmacy tech regulation is forthcoming in BC).

I can't speak for other jurisdictions, but in British Columbia pharmacy technicians are NOT regulated, so some pharmacy chains simply title the job "pharmacy assistant". The chain I work for titles the job as such. We are equivalent to "technicians", and DO NOT "assist " "technicians" (as there is no such position, at least at the chain I work for). It's just a label, and really the term has no meaning, as pharmacy technicians/assistants are not regulated (as of now at least; pharmacy tech regulation is forthcoming in BC).

Yeah, here in Alberta I think it is pretty much the same thing. I didn't go to tech school, I was just trained on the job, but I do pretty much everything a conventionally trained tech does.

My thoughts exactly..when I become a tech in a couple months I will lobby to have my own assistant.

Duties and responsibilities shall include but not limited too: doing all my non-important work, retrieving my gatorade when Im thirsty, paying for lunch, getting hot chicks to walk by the pharmacy windows, and setting up a xbox to play while on break.

Sounds great!
Lol, nice. I particularly like the last two duties.

I demand an assistant as well. She (yes, notice how I said "she") will follow me around, dictate my tablet counts, wipe the sweat off my brow when I'm in deep concentration, and answer the phone when I don't feel like getting yelled at by old people. These, in addition to the tasks you suggested, shall suit me very well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a local tech school offers a 6-month course, but I'll be a 3/4ths time college student, working full time, and I'm a new mom...I don't have the time nor money to take off from regular college for that (it's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week) Is there a point in college you can take the test for certification without taking that course? (here in Oklahoma it's required for the job) I work at a hospital, and it would be easy for me to transfer positions with certification...

Yes, you can take the test for certification without taking a course. Find a study guide, study hard for the exam, and you'll be in good shape.

Thank you! Now, is there is a specific study guide you would recommend? After googling I see there are a ton of guides...

Thank you! Now, is there is a specific study guide you would recommend? After googling I see there are a ton of guides...

Depending on your familiarity with pharmacy I would recommend thr APhA's Pharm tech certification quick-study guide (purple cover with a pic of a lady answering the phone).

If you have no understanding or experience at all there is a "cover all bases" version that thoroughly explains the different areas (i.e pharmacy law, calculations ...)

Lol, nice. I particularly like the last two duties.

I demand an assistant as well. She (yes, notice how I said "she") will follow me around, dictate my tablet counts, wipe the sweat off my brow when I'm in deep concentration, and answer the phone when I don't feel like getting yelled at by old people. These, in addition to the tasks you suggested, shall suit me very well.

Nice chops!

I think we should lobby for tech assistants here in the US and write the job descriptions :laugh:

I don't plan on working while in pharmacy school, so there really is no point. I've found other employment for the summer too, so i'm just going to cancel. Thanks for the input!

Depending on your familiarity with pharmacy I would recommend thr APhA's Pharm tech certification quick-study guide (purple cover with a pic of a lady answering the phone).

If you have no understanding or experience at all there is a "cover all bases" version that thoroughly explains the different areas (i.e pharmacy law, calculations ...)

I'd also recommend this book, but not as your initial study guide. The book covers way more mathematical concepts than what are actually on the test (You do not need to know mEq's, or valences). That being said, I'm a firm believer if you can do the harder stuff, you'll ace the easier questions that are on the PTCE.

My employer gave me This book as well to study from, and it was sufficient for reviewing laws, drugs, and pharmacy practice. A lot of people on here recommend mosby's book.

The only book I referred to was Mosby's. I passed the test so I'd recommend it.

yea, once ur an intern, your a certified tech, in the absence of a preceptor. so ur covered and able to work as tech or intern, as soon as u get ur intern license and stay in texas, lol, dunno about other states laws.

yea, once ur an intern, your a certified tech, in the absence of a preceptor.

You need a preceptor to get a certain number of hours. But to just work as an intern, all you need is a pharmacist. Interns do more than what techs get to do.

so ur covered and able to work as tech or intern, as soon as u get ur intern license and stay in texas, lol, dunno about other states laws.

If you're working as a tech one day, then you can't perform any of the duties that an intern would have.

I was looking through this years "The Pharmacy Technician," study guide to the PTCE exam. I was thinking I would take the exam for fun, but didn't realize it would cost me about 100 bucks to take. I have no incentive to taking it, for my manager will not give me a raise, if passed. I start pharmacy school in the fall, so there's probably no point for me to take this thing right?

Hey y'all. I have a decision to make in the next couple of days...

I am accepted into a PharmD school I am not thrilled about going to this fall, but I am on the waitlist for two schools I would gladly go to. I have a job in an unrelated field that I want to keep as long as I am not in school full-time, mostly for the benefits.

I reg'd for a pharm tech class at the community college and it starts Wednesday. If I don't get into one of my preferred schools and instead decide to defer for a year (and do some re-applying this coming year for entrance in fall 2011), I could work part time nights/weekends as a pharm tech and/or volunteer this coming year. My thought was that I would have this class under my belt, which would help with the pharm tech certification AND help me get a job. I know they prefer to hire techs either with experience or training courses.

I can withdraw from this class, but if I wait until after the first day of class, I won't get all of my money refunded. My real beef with staying in the class is that it was really expensive - 5 credits plus a huge lab fee that includes textbooks = about $1200. Also the class lasts 10 weeks, so I will not have a last "free" summer if I do end up going to school this fall.

Sorry, this was a lot of rambling, but I am just anxious about all this... Any opinions/advice as to what to do? Thanks!

Hey y'all. I have a decision to make in the next couple of days...

I am accepted into a PharmD school I am not thrilled about going to this fall, but I am on the waitlist for two schools I would gladly go to. I have a job in an unrelated field that I want to keep as long as I am not in school full-time, mostly for the benefits.

I reg'd for a pharm tech class at the community college and it starts Wednesday. If I don't get into one of my preferred schools and instead decide to defer for a year (and do some re-applying this coming year for entrance in fall 2011), I could work part time nights/weekends as a pharm tech and/or volunteer this coming year. My thought was that I would have this class under my belt, which would help with the pharm tech certification AND help me get a job. I know they prefer to hire techs either with experience or training courses.

I can withdraw from this class, but if I wait until after the first day of class, I won't get all of my money refunded. My real beef with staying in the class is that it was really expensive - 5 credits plus a huge lab fee that includes textbooks = about $1200. Also the class lasts 10 weeks, so I will not have a last "free" summer if I do end up going to school this fall.

Sorry, this was a lot of rambling, but I am just anxious about all this... Any opinions/advice as to what to do? Thanks!

I personally would choose to be an intern while attending school next year rather than be a pharm tech for a whole year before starting pharmacy school.

There are times when places have enough technicians, but they don't have any interns, so they might be interested in hiring a student.

I know there's a lot of people that tell me to buy a pharm. tech review book, study, then take the test. But I was wondering if employers (hospital, CVS, walgreens) frown upon that. I went to an open interview for CVS and the manager said that just taking the test doesn't give you the training you need.

So has anybody taken the test without going through a course and still manage to get a job?

I know there's a lot of people that tell me to buy a pharm. tech review book, study, then take the test. But I was wondering if employers (hospital, CVS, walgreens) frown upon that. I went to an open interview for CVS and the manager said that just taking the test doesn't give you the training you need.

So has anybody taken the test without going through a course and still manage to get a job?

i agree that studying on your own and taking the test does not give you the tech training you will need but i think it will help with the training you will have to go through once hired. If you think you can study and pass without taking the classes then go for it! in my opinion it shows your future employers that you are serious about becoming a pharmacy tech.

Of course you're not gonna know everything by taking the PTCB exam. As far as training goes... there's general pharm tech stuff to know (brand/generic conversions, laws, etc.) which the test covers, and then there's the specific stuff per chain (walgreens, cvs, hospital - all have differences compared to each chain) and definitely, there are some stuff in hospital pharmacies that you don't deal with in retail (ex. laminar flow hood) most of the time.

Point is, you won't be prepared fully until you're on the job. CVS, I heard, requires a lot more extensive training than Walgreens (Walgreens will at least train you on the job).

To all people looking for a pharm tech job - try Walgreens if you can. Lot easier. Better starting pay as well.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to take the test anyway, then apply to a hospital. I don't want to spend more money taking a Pharm. tech course on top of my universities courses.
And I kinda gave up on Walgreens and CVS. I applied to two stores that were opening around my area and I never got a job from them :( Besides, hospitals are more interesting :D

Is it possible to get a job as a pharmacy technician without any prior experience? The only work experience I have is in the summers at a daycare...my mom has connections, do you think that will help? Is there another position at a pharmacy that I would be more suited to for now until I rack up some experience, I read something about pharmacy aides? Or should I just take the exam and go for the pharmacy technician job? Thanks.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to take the test anyway, then apply to a hospital. I don't want to spend more money taking a Pharm. tech course on top of my universities courses.
And I kinda gave up on Walgreens and CVS. I applied to two stores that were opening around my area and I never got a job from them :( Besides, hospitals are more interesting :D

I actually bought a PTCB book a few months ago and was going to study and take the test. However, I applied to CVS a few months ago, got an interview, and was offered the job (I just took the drug test yesterday and results will come in monday). I told the manager I have ZERO experience but I told her that I have experience in retail and she seemed to like me. She also told me that I will need to take classes (paid by CVS) and eventually become certified. I was told that I would start at the register first. My suggestion is to apply to other CVS or Walgreens around your house. There must be one that will take you in
Did you tell the manager that you want to be a pharmacist?

Of course you're not gonna know everything by taking the PTCB exam. As far as training goes... there's general pharm tech stuff to know (brand/generic conversions, laws, etc.) which the test covers, and then there's the specific stuff per chain (walgreens, cvs, hospital - all have differences compared to each chain) and definitely, there are some stuff in hospital pharmacies that you don't deal with in retail (ex. laminar flow hood) most of the time.

Point is, you won't be prepared fully until you're on the job. CVS, I heard, requires a lot more extensive training than Walgreens (Walgreens will at least train you on the job).

To all people looking for a pharm tech job - try Walgreens if you can. Lot easier. Better starting pay as well.

Have you worked both at CVS and Walgreens?
When you say easier, what do you mean?
I was told by CVS that my salary will start at 8.50. Minimum wage here in jersey is 7.50

I don't believe I have ever heard this argument before. Let me see if I understand this right:

CVS training is more extensive; therefore, it is better to work at Walgreens. Huh? What? :confused:

I don't have an opinion with regards to CVS vs Walgreens but the argument that it's better to work for the company that trains their associates less doesn't quite make since to me. :laugh:

EDIT: Maybe you meant that CVS requires you to have experience in order to get a job with them, whereas Walgreens will hire/train people with no experience? Except that is not true at all. Both companies will train people with no experience.

I actually bought a PTCB book a few months ago and was going to study and take the test. However, I applied to CVS a few months ago, got an interview, and was offered the job (I just took the drug test yesterday and results will come in monday). I told the manager I have ZERO experience but I told her that I have experience in retail and she seemed to like me. She also told me that I will need to take classes (paid by CVS) and eventually become certified. I was told that I would start at the register first. My suggestion is to apply to other CVS or Walgreens around your house. There must be one that will take you in
Did you tell the manager that you want to be a pharmacist?
I went to a CVS open interview a few days ago. It was from 9-4 and I went there around 3 because I had class in the morning. So my interview, in my opinion, was horrible. I was only there for 5 minutes, more or less, and I felt like he wasn't really paying attention to what I was saying.. But I did tell him I wanted to be a pharmacist.

I went to a CVS open interview a few days ago. It was from 9-4 and I went there around 3 because I had class in the morning. So my interview, in my opinion, was horrible. I was only there for 5 minutes, more or less, and I felt like he wasn't really paying attention to what I was saying.. But I did tell him I wanted to be a pharmacist.

an OPEN interview? You were not the only being interviewed? wow that is weird. It is really tough to tell if you are going to get the job or not. Did he say he is going to call you back if he's interested in hiring you? Just hope for the best then.

Is it possible to get a job as a pharmacy technician without any prior experience? The only work experience I have is in the summers at a daycare...my mom has connections, do you think that will help? Is there another position at a pharmacy that I would be more suited to for now until I rack up some experience, I read something about pharmacy aides? Or should I just take the exam and go for the pharmacy technician job? Thanks.

Yes, because it happened to me. I don't have any experience in pharmacy but I do have some experience in retail (cashier work) and the pharmacist did ask me about that. It really doesn't matter because you are going to start at the register and operating it is really easy. I had no connections with the people at CVS I applied to but was still offered the job. I was however, really persistent in getting the job (visit there twice, and called about 6 times) Don't be afraid because the pharmacist did mention in my interview that she liked my persistence. Do not take the PTCB exam because it won't really increase your chances in getting the job. Once you are hired by CVS or Walgreens, you will be required to take classes and eventually certified (paid by CVS).
Just keep applying, CALL and SPEAK with the manager.

good luck.

Yes, because it happened to me. I don't have any experience in pharmacy but I do have some experience in retail (cashier work) and the pharmacist did ask me about that. It really doesn't matter because you are going to start at the register and operating it is really easy. I had no connections with the people at CVS I applied to but was still offered the job. I was however, really persistent in getting the job (visit there twice, and called about 6 times) Don't be afraid because the pharmacist did mention in my interview that she liked my persistence. Do not take the PTCB exam because it won't really increase your chances in getting the job. Once you are hired by CVS or Walgreens, you will be required to take classes and eventually certified (paid by CVS).
Just keep applying, CALL and SPEAK with the manager.

good luck.

Thank you so much! I will keep all of that in mind, though I am going to try to use my mom's connections to get my foot in the door. She works in the corporate office for Kroger in the drug/GM section and knows a lot of the higher-ups for the pharmacies. I'm hoping this will help...a lot? At least in getting me an interview.

an OPEN interview? You were not the only being interviewed? wow that is weird. It is really tough to tell if you are going to get the job or not. Did he say he is going to call you back if he's interested in hiring you? Just hope for the best then.
yeah. it was open. the manager said there were about 200 people that were interviewed before me :eek:
hopefully I get at least a callback :xf:

yeah. it was open. the manager said there were about 200 people that were interviewed before me :eek:
hopefully I get at least a callback :xf:

200 people:idea: ? damn. How big is the CVS LOL. I hope you get a call back. Try applying to walgreens also.

The only book I referred to was Mosby's. I passed the test so I'd recommend it.

Mosby's worked for me too. The only problem w/not taking is a course, is that no place near me will hire w/out the required "one year experience" or job training course.

Why does it take forever for CVS to call back?
My drug test result was suppose to come in last monday and I still haven't gotten a call.

once you get the pharm tech job, is there such things like working part time? once i get hired, school is in the way

I'm studying the calculations, some I'm getting others I'm not. Then there are more & more:eek: Does anyone know which calculations sre used most on the test? Trying to narrow down my confusion.

Marika