This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Major do you prefer? Not for me just for fun.

• Total voters

nferna12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys!
I am a current student taking general education courses and pre reqs at a community college. I knew I always wanted to be in the medical field i was just never sure what i wanted to be exactly...until recently i decided to become a pharmacy technician. then after that get B.A then go to Pharmacy school. But I am still a little confused on what i need to do. I went to my counseling building on my campus and the counselor called my name to talk but didn't even take me to his office to look up courses he told me too look it up myself and to come back with a real question..like wtf. ANYWAYS. I have been doing a little research but some of my questions are still unanswered. I just want to know what goals I should make for myself and I want to make a educational plan that it 110% solid and that I can follow and succeed.

Soooo...

1. What Major do you guys recommend that I take up to become a pharmacist? Because I haven't seen one specific major that I need to learn before going to pharmacy school. I was thinking Chemistry. Right now I am taking a Medical Chemistry Course which I love..I thought I didn't like Science classes until I took this class and I kind of love it now. But is chemistry a good major to become a pharmacist or should i be taking up biology or something?

2. If I receive my Associates in Chemistry and want to transfer to a California University (I live in the bay area) do I need to earn my bachelors in Chemistry and do the prerequisites that pharmacy schools require? I just don't want to do double the work and waste time. what do you recommend I do after I leave my Community College? or is there a way of narrowing it down. i know it will take years and time. I just don't want to waste any more time. Since I didn't start college right after I got out of High school i waited 2 years!! So I'm trying to put the pedal to the metal and get the show on the road.

3. For my Bay Area Natives. What pharmacy schools do you recommend that i should keep in mind. I was looking at UCSF. And for some reason I couldn't find any others. (MAYBE I WASNT LOOKING HARD ENOUGH) but i was also looking in the Sacramento Area.

Oh yeah! At my current school, Im going to be in the pharmacy technician program. I thought it would be a good idea to do the program which is only 2 semesters (Fall 2016 and Spring 2017).
And then get my License as Pharmacy Tech. but still go to school to finish my associates but work at the same time so I can get some experience. what do you guys think...
I'm asking you guys because the counselor was not trying to hear me out and help me, when I just needed just a little guidance and help.

P.S. sorry for the long forum! AND thanks in Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. It does not matter which major you take as long as you get all the prerequisites for the school(s) you are applying to. If you think you would do well in chemistry, then chemistry is a good choice.

2. Check if your community college courses transfer to a university, and/or if the pharmacy school you are applying to will accept them.

3. Don't know.

Sounds like you have a plan with the pharm tech thing. Working as a pharm tech will certainly improve your chances of admission to pharmacy school. Just don't work so much during university that your grades suffer.

1: Doesn't matter what degree, but chemistry is a good degree if you are interesting in pharmacy.
2: Most pharmacy schools in CA require a bachelor's degree before you can start so you would need to go to a UC or other university and finish your degree.
3: UCSF is a great school (currently ranked #1). As such, it is incredibly competitive to get in, so make sure you have some backup schools (UCSD, UOP, USC, etc.) PharmCAS should have a list of all the pharmacy schools that are accredited in the US listed by state.

Pharm tech is a great thing to do! Please work as a pharm tech before really deciding if pharmacy is for you. Many decide against pharmacy once they see what the job is like, so make sure this is for you before you waste your time and money in pharmacy school.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As stated, if you simply get a bachelors with the pre-reqs met you will be fine. I would go with chemistry since you enjoy it (highly recommend taking a year of Biochem to prep for school but thats just me).

research on what can and cant transfer with the CC and the school of your choice (this will save you stress in the long run).

As for schools to look for (cali or not) heres a good quote i enjoy: "what do you call a graduate from the lowest ranked pharmacy school and a graduate from the highest ranked pharmacy school? A pharmacist..." As long as the school is accredited, i would follow MONEY saving than anything else. No reason really to be 200k+ if another place will take you in at a cheaper rate. Prestige wont get the career really just hard work and solid GPA in the end with lots of involvments.

Side Note: I think its the best idea to work as a pharm tech before applying: It can only work to your favor for school and let you know what aspects of pharmacy you enjoy (or if you would even enjoy pharmacy).

Reactions: 1 user
Since you will get most of the prerequisites done with either, you like chemistry, and chemistry is a better (more likely to lead to a job or graduate work) backup degree, I would recommend that you do chemistry.