Pharmacy Worst Career Possible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh they can and do often have big student loans. They still have to do 4 years of undergrad and 3 years of grad school. We went to the same school and his tuition was just as much as mine.
But you're right, their jobs are WAY in demand now. Depending on the area, you could walk in and get hired right away with a sign on bonus! I've even seen one PT company in skilled nursing that paid a certain amount of student loan per pay period.

Members don't see this ad.

Amen. Thank you.

This guy might be too delicate for military service. He might find a coal mine to take him, though. My father saw his partner get his legs crushed off below the knees and had to walk mile underground to get help. But all that pales in comparison to how bad pharmacy is.

zoolander.jpg

that would probably be him in a coal mine hah.. I served in Iraq and Afgan as a 68 whiskey (combat medic)..I actually enjoyed my job but being a pharmacist sounds a little better =p .. I was able to pull in about 80 grand a year due to being married , the whole cola pay, and since I live in huntington beach they covered 90% of my mortgage..but making 130k or more to work in a hospital with climate control and no one shooting at you, well that sounds a bit more pleasant.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess if you want to be able to sit down as a pharmacist and have a lunch break you can always go the hospital route or "nontraditional" route.

My legs ache from sitting too much at my mail order job. Plus the deafening silence from a lack of whiny *** drug addict/psych patient/medicaid/medicare patients does get on my nerves. :smuggrin:

ps My lunch breaks are too long. I usually have to surf the net or read something after I'm done eating. Eh? eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Potential Pharmacy students: Avoid pharmacy "Profession" at all costs:

1.) Retail is a nightmare
2.) Have to work nights and weekends
3.) Have to work holidays
4.) Get treated like garbage on a daily basis
5.) Deal with street drug dealers and legit gang bangers. You are a drug dealer. You are no different than the guy on a street corner selling bags of heroin. Street heroin = oxycodone = same thing.
6.) Working retail you can be terminated at anytime, no job security.
7.) 14 hours no break
8.) You have to work with the worst co-workers possible. The turnover is constant and the people they stick you with know nothing. You get what you pay for. Have fun trying to hire a decent employee for 8/hour, not happening. Single moms that call out all the time and could genuinely care less about you or the pharmacy is your typical employee.
9.) Tons of debt after graduation
10.) Almost no chance of owning your own business. Sorry, but you can't compete with Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, and Target. If for some reason you think you can compete with these monopolies and you open your own pharmacy, (without bullet proof glass), you will have a gun to your face, and you will be robbed.
11.) Getting tired of standing all day, no lunch break, doing 400+ scripts per day??? H1Bs aren't.

I should have listened when they told me to avoid pharmacy, but when I got into it the job market was still good, and my college's tuition rate was 20% less/year than what it is now. You have to be absolutely, completely, insane to want to get into the pharmacy profession at this time.

I'm sure you have breaks lots of graduate programs have debt and its not THE worst career possible.

Pretty sure street corner prostitution in the inner city is the worst career possible. Pharmacy is at least two steps above that.

Pretty sure street corner prostitution in the inner city is the worst career possible. Pharmacy is at least two steps above that.

You're not taking into consideration the time and resources spent in order to become a pharmacist.

of all the professional careers out there, pharmacy is by far the worst

You could always be an optometrist or a mid-level practitioner and make $90k per year.

Ever worked a 12+ hour shift at a pharmacy as a pharmacist?

People always tell "what!! How can you not get a break. If I was there I wouldn't care I would take a break no matter what!!!!"

I wish everyone could work at a busy and understaffed CVS as a pharmacist. Then they might understand.

14 hour shifts with nothing but an energy drink all day...

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree that working conditions suck at retail however some people do prefer to work 3 x 14 hour shifts per week. Also there is no excuse not to eat something...a protein bar, cliff bar, cereal bar, a handful of almonds, or anything that provides protein and nutrients. It might not be a satisfying meal but it will keep you fueled for the day.

People always tell "what!! How can you not get a break. If I was there I wouldn't care I would take a break no matter what!!!!"

I wish everyone could work at a busy and understaffed CVS as a pharmacist. Then they might understand.

14 hour shifts with nothing but an energy drink all day...

I have had shifts where I don't take a meal break (today for example) but you should be able to eat something while verifying. And skipping meal breaks should be the exception not the rule. January of course makes everything worse. And all the transfers we have to do, my god the transfers...:blackeye:

Why transfers? Our issue is insurance. No more transfers than usual though.

At Walmart you can click on "host profile" when you bring someone up and then can fill any refills remaining from any Walmart or SAMs club in America. Don't the other chains have similar systems?

At Walmart you can click on "host profile" when you bring someone up and then can fill any refills remaining from any Walmart or SAMs club in America. Don't the other chains have similar systems?
Are you telling me you don't have people transfer from other pharmacies to your pharmacy? I'm not complaining about internal transfers...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app

I'm sure you have breaks.

hahahahahahaha...probably in hospital, most (not all) hospitals will have scheduled breaks for pharmacists. Retail pharmacies generally do NOT have scheduled breaks, so any break taken is between customers, which may or may not happen. Yeah, 14 hr (or more) hour schedules without a break do happen.

Are you telling me you don't have people transfer from other pharmacies to your pharmacy? I'm not complaining about internal transfers...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app
Don't snowbirds fill at the same company when they travel or completely switch? That would be a pain. Not very many transfers from other places but I'm a rural town so it's either us, Walgreens or the independent. Also 3 Kmarts in our region just announced they're closing in the Spring! Anyone else seeing that?

hahahahahahaha...probably in hospital, most (not all) hospitals will have scheduled breaks for pharmacists. Retail pharmacies generally do NOT have scheduled breaks, so any break taken is between customers, which may or may not happen. Yeah, 14 hr (or more) hour schedules without a break do happen.

14 hours with no breaks? what about a restroom break LOL

wow that is so crazy

wow that is so crazy

it is crazy, personally I would just go to the bathroom when I needed to, but there are pharmacists who are apparently to timid to do that.

of all the professional careers out there, pharmacy is by far the worst

Out of all the healthcare professions, it does seem to have more down sides.

But what do you expect when corporate drug store chains who treat it any other part of retail, have most control over the profession. We stand in white coats behind a cash register, what impression does that give to the general public?

Don't snowbirds fill at the same company when they travel or completely switch? That would be a pain. Not very many transfers from other places but I'm a rural town so it's either us, Walgreens or the independent. Also 3 Kmarts in our region just announced they're closing in the Spring! Anyone else seeing that?

Some do, and I don't really understand why more of them don't, but many have an "up north" pharmacy and a "down south" pharmacy that are not the same company. We get between 20-30 transfer requests daily and this isn't even one of the more seasonally affected stores. Of course a lot of those requests are also locals just switching between pharmacies for insurance or other reasons. In FL only the pharmacist (or intern, of which I have none) can do transfers so that's fun.

Snowbird states like Arizona and Florida are the worst for transfers and wackadoos in RVs. Some stores vary up to 500-700 RX per week (at least 2 in my old district) in the winter versus summer. The "interesting" part is seeing all the unusual-looking CIIs scripts from other states, like ones that look like they were generated from a POS receipt printer.

Reactions: 1 users
Snowbird states like Arizona and Florida are the worst for transfers and wackadoos in RVs. Some stores vary up to 500-700 RX per week (at least 2 in my old district) in the winter versus summer. The "interesting" part is seeing all the unusual-looking CIIs scripts from other states, like ones that look like they were generated from a POS receipt printer.

My old store had it's slowest week at like 1,800 and busiest at about 3,500. Try flexing up and down that much, it's a real treat.

wow that is so crazy

They don't mean you go 14 hours without peeing. They mean that when the urge hits you, it may be 45min-60min before you even have a chance to step out. And often times, right as you try to leave, customer steps in your way and demands to speak to the pharmacist. All this results in only getting the use the restroom 1-2 times per day. Always rushed. Granted it doesn't take that long to pee, but this is a stark contrast to other professions. Hence the bitching.

Reactions: 2 users
Pharmacy just keeps getting worse. I don't recommend anyone goes the route of becoming a pharmacist now. Can anyone tell me why people are still going to pharmacy school?? It was awesome in the early 2000s but just keeps getting worse thanks to an oversupply of grads from greedy schools. Seriously with all these mergers, closing stores... It's going to be very rough. And the bls growth now listed at 3%?? Yikes. There's much better career options out there: software engineer, PA are much more promising and secure than becoming a pharmacist these days.

Pharmacy is the biggest, health profession with the least optimistic, most poor outlook, financially not worth it (at many private diploma mill schools). It's not the worst career/major out there.

I've heard many out there that are worse. Granted few professional jobs these days provide the middle-class life. The inequality is worse. You gotta keep perspective that it's way worse outside healthcare in many cases. Think service, hospitality, liberal arts, and so on. Pharmacy will be like law, but people still go to law school...it'll correct itself and the numbers hopefully stabilize. It's just the costs, job market, and salary will make it less attractive hopefully keeping the number of grads down.

They don't mean you go 14 hours without peeing. They mean that when the urge hits you, it may be 45min-60min before you even have a chance to step out. And often times, right as you try to leave, customer steps in your way and demands to speak to the pharmacist. All this results in only getting the use the restroom 1-2 times per day. Always rushed. Granted it doesn't take that long to pee, but this is a stark contrast to other professions. Hence the bitching.
Using the restroom 2-3 times in a 16+ hour shift is pretty normal on the med side of things and I don't even know what a break is.

Seriously, someone complained to the state because we had to carry our pagers to lunch and evidently that made our breaks not "real" breaks, so they had to implement a policy where we handed off pagers for exactly 30 minutes each day. Which isn't exactly enough time to eat and use the restroom for a 16.5 hour shift, but I digress...

The point being, that's actually pretty normal in healthcare. You eat when you can, you go to the bathroom when you can. To say being a pharmacist is a terrible job because you don't have chances to step out is laughable when you compare it to being a surgeon, working the ICU, or being in the ED, to name but a few examples. Yeah, it sucks compared to non-healthcare jobs, but for the money you make and the sector you're in, it isn't that above and beyond the norm ,not by a long shot.

Last edited:
Stop trying to justify poor conditions with financial pay.

Using the restroom 2-3 times in a 16+ hour shift is pretty normal on the med side of things and I don't even know what a break is.

Seriously, someone complained to the state because we had to carry our pagers to lunch and evidently that made our breaks not "real" breaks, so they had to implement a policy where we handed off pagers for exactly 30 minutes each day. Which isn't exactly enough time to eat and use the restroom for a 16.5 hour shift, but I digress...

The point being, that's actually pretty normal in healthcare. You eat when you can, you eat when you can. To say being a pharmacist is a terrible job because you don't have chances to step out is laughable when you compare it to being a surgeon, working the ICU, or being in the ED, to name but a few examples. Yeah, it sucks compared to non-healthcare jobs, but for the money you make and the sector you're in, it isn't that above and beyond the norm ,not by a long shot.

In other words, I get treated like trash by my employer and so should you. Get real. The only reason pharmacists work these long shifts and get banned from using the restroom is because most pharmacists are cowards. They don't have the balls to write their state board of pharmacy about their treatment. It is common knowledge that pharmacies use metrics. Everyone knows this except for the head of my state's board of pharmacy. She told the media that she doesn't believe that pharmacies use metrics to pressure pharmacists into filling prescriptions. What's the response by Texas pharmacists? Silence.

In other words, I get treated like trash by my employer and so should you. Get real. The only reason pharmacists work these long shifts and get banned from using the restroom is because most pharmacists are cowards. They don't have the balls to write their state board of pharmacy about their treatment. It is common knowledge that pharmacies use metrics. Everyone knows this except for the head of my state's board of pharmacy. She told the media that she doesn't believe that pharmacies use metrics to pressure pharmacists into filling prescriptions. What's the response by Texas pharmacists? Silence.
My point was that the issues are far from unique to pharmacy. Though I will say that you're treated with far too little respect for being professionals. Chain pharmacies turned you from business owners and professionals in control of their own careers into employees that companies view with little more respect than their cashiers.
Stop trying to justify poor conditions with financial pay.
Poor conditions are precisely why many other fields outside of health care are paid more than their counterparts that work under better conditions. It's harder to attract employees, so they increase compensation to attract the same level of worker. My friend in marketing, for instance, got 20k more out of a firm known to work their employees like dogs compared to her crush 45 hour a week job. The difficulty with pharmacy is, however, that the field is saturated, so now it's become an employer's market and they can sort of treat you however they want.

My point was that the issues are far from unique to pharmacy. Though I will say that you're treated with far too little respect for being professionals. Chain pharmacies turned you from business owners and professionals in control of their own careers into employees that companies view with little more respect than their cashiers.

Poor conditions are precisely why many other fields outside of health care are paid more than their counterparts that work under better conditions. It's harder to attract employees, so they increase compensation to attract the same level of worker. My friend in marketing, for instance, got 20k more out of a firm known to work their employees like dogs compared to her crush 45 hour a week job. The difficulty with pharmacy is, however, that the field is saturated, so now it's become an employer's market and they can sort of treat you however they want.

You don't know what you're talking about. By your theory pouring concrete should pay 6 figures because it's poor work conditions and hard to attract employees.

You don't know what you're talking about. By your theory pouring concrete should pay 6 figures because it's poor work conditions and hard to attract employees.
Poor conditions relative to those with the same qualifications are likely to result in higher pay. There's a reason offshore rig workers make more than onshore ones, that those working in skyscraper construction make more than those working home construction, that contract truckers in Iraq and Afghanistan made three times more than their stateside counterparts, that private security working in foreign countries makes far more than a rent-a-cop stateside, etc.

Boards of Pharmacy are really unaware of the working conditions in chain retail pharmacy?

Boards of Pharmacy are really unaware of the working conditions in chain retail pharmacy?

Board of pharmacys job is to protect the public, not pharmacists

The point being, that's actually pretty normal in healthcare. You eat when you can, you go to the bathroom when you can. To say being a pharmacist is a terrible job because you don't have chances to step out is laughable when you compare it to being a surgeon, working the ICU, or being in the ED, to name but a few examples. Yeah, it sucks compared to non-healthcare jobs, but for the money you make and the sector you're in, it isn't that above and beyond the norm ,not by a long shot.

Yes, and when you work at CVS "when you can" means never. These threads always end up this way. Someone asks about breaks, someone else explains, and then someone starts talking about how other health professions are harder than pharmacy. Proving that pharmacy is worse than other professions was never the point of my post. And my pay check is laughable when you compare it to a surgeon's, so we probably shouldn't compare those at all.

I'm on the med side of things too now, and I get a break on 95% of my shifts and go the bathroom whenever I want.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that garbage.

Yes, and when you work at CVS "when you can" means never. These threads always end up this way. Someone asks about breaks, someone else explains, and then someone starts talking about how other health professions are harder than pharmacy. Proving that pharmacy is worse than other professions was never the point of my post. And my pay check is laughable when you compare it to a surgeon's, so we probably shouldn't compare those at all.

I'm on the med side of things too now, and I get a break on 95% of my shifts and go the bathroom whenever I want.

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that garbage.
This thread is titled "Pharmacy is the Worst Career Possible," so I felt comparisons to other carers were warranted.

This thread is titled "Pharmacy is the Worst Career Possible," so I felt comparisons to other carers were warranted.

Replying to the thread doesn't mean you support the title. I was pointing out that breaks in pharmacy are much different many other professions. I agree this is common within health professions, but the majority of college graduate positions are desk jobs. Poll 10 of my college graduate friends and you will find that 0/10 have the work conditions of a pharmacist. I'm not complaining about it, but those are the facts. Not the "worst career possible", but the lack of breaks for the retail folks is a shame.

Replying to the thread doesn't mean you support the title. I was pointing out that breaks in pharmacy are much different many other professions. I agree this is common within health professions, but the majority of college graduate positions are desk jobs. Poll 10 of my college graduate friends and you will find that 0/10 have the work conditions of a pharmacist. I'm not complaining about it, but those are the facts. Not the "worst career possible", but the lack of breaks for the retail folks is a shame.
I'm not saying pharmacy doesn't suck. I'm just saying it's not the Worst Career Possible.

100% agree.

It is mind boggling that pharmacists sit in the back of the pharmacy, outside of camera view, and eat a sandwhich in 3 minutes and go back to work... that's their entire lunch break. Piss maybe 2 times a day in a 10 hour shift... I see if all too often

At least give the poor pharmacist a stool to sit on for the 10-12hrs of straight verifying.

Potential Pharmacy students: Avoid pharmacy "Profession" at all costs:

1.) Retail is a nightmare
2.) Have to work nights and weekends
3.) Have to work holidays
4.) Get treated like garbage on a daily basis
5.) Deal with street drug dealers and legit gang bangers. You are a drug dealer. You are no different than the guy on a street corner selling bags of heroin. Street heroin = oxycodone = same thing.
6.) Working retail you can be terminated at anytime, no job security.
7.) 14 hours no break
8.) You have to work with the worst co-workers possible. The turnover is constant and the people they stick you with know nothing. You get what you pay for. Have fun trying to hire a decent employee for 8/hour, not happening. Single moms that call out all the time and could genuinely care less about you or the pharmacy is your typical employee.
9.) Tons of debt after graduation
10.) Almost no chance of owning your own business. Sorry, but you can't compete with Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, and Target. If for some reason you think you can compete with these monopolies and you open your own pharmacy, (without bullet proof glass), you will have a gun to your face, and you will be robbed.
11.) Getting tired of standing all day, no lunch break, doing 400+ scripts per day??? H1Bs aren't.

I should have listened when they told me to avoid pharmacy, but when I got into it the job market was still good, and my college's tuition rate was 20% less/year than what it is now. You have to be absolutely, completely, insane to want to get into the pharmacy profession at this time.

At Walmart you get a 30min break but yea I pretty much agree with everything else you said. Except the part about pharmacists being the same as drug dealers. IMO pharmacists are much are worse because they are selling addictive opiates and stimulants under a false pretense as part of the big pharma industrial complex while the dealer on the street is more honest with his customer.

in the end of all this, at least pharmacists will make 120K annually right? I've heard the starting salary for many
pharmacists is now 150K in California. Does this make it worth the schooling ?

After today I'm convinced it is the worst career possible that you need schooling beyond the undergraduate level for

in the end of all this, at least pharmacists will make 120K annually right? I've heard the starting salary for many
pharmacists is now 150K in California. Does this make it worth the schooling ?

Nope, still not worth the schooling.

Gross salary: $120k
Taxes: -$45k
Student loan payments (>$200k over 10-20 years): -$25k
Take home pay: $50k

Barely even middle class in California, especially for a professional degree. If you had no debt in comparison, you would only need to earn about $75k to achieve the same take home pay. You can easily achieve that through other careers, i.e. finance or computer programming that are no more saturated than pharmacy and do not require an additional 4 years of schooling.

That is all assuming that salary doesn't drop due to oversupply and tuition continues to rise, both of which are very likely scenarios.

Last edited:
Nope, still not worth the schooling.
dude it's more like
Gross salary: $108k
Taxes: -$40k
Student loan payments (>$200k over 5 years): -$60k
Take home pay: $8k

You can cut out a lot of luxuries like living in an apartment, eating out and eating anything but Ramen noodles. 8K is more than enough to live on for a single individual living in any place including cities. There are many people that live on half this annually.

Finance or computer programming require a much higher IQ to do well in than pharmacy. Pharmacy attracts low IQ and greedy individuals. There is a lot of overlap between these two traits and they are fairly common which is why everyone and their mother is attending pharmacy school now. Eventually, 2025ish people will realize the money is not there anymore and probably 25% of the school will enter economic hardship. I imagine a lot of schools are already entering economic hardship judging by some of the recruitment emails i received years ago. Example:
school 1
My name is [redacted] and I am the [redacted] for the PharmD program at [redacted]. We have been trying to send you emails and they all came back undelivered all the way back from October. Please check your junk email and change your settings in your email to trust the PharmCAS emails. If you are still interested in our program, I would love to share any emails that we have sent you.

school 2
I had tried to reach you by phone but I could not get a voicemail box. I am reaching out to you in regards to your application to the [redacted] Doctor of Pharmacy program. I was able to reevaluate your application, and with this reevaluation I would like to personally invite you to campus for an interview, if you are interested.

Right now we are running a campaign to help with the sometimes overwhelming cost of travel for interviews and depending on miles traveled we are reimbursing some travel costs. Also available to incoming students are academic scholarships. I would love the opportunity to discuss these options with you and to hopefully set up an interview date and time on our campus.

school 3
*PLEASE RESPOND* Invitation to Interview with [redacted].
You have been invited to interview with the [redacted] on [redacted]. The agenda will be posted on our website at [redacted].

If you are not a natural born citizen of the United States, please bring your original citizenship documentation with you. You will need to provide the documentation so we can copy the documents for your applicant file. Your application will not be considered for further admissions until citizenship documentation is received.

---
You should go into pharmacy if your passion is being lazy and greedy. The intelligent people went into computer science. The people that want to actually help people went to medical school.