PharmacyWeek DRAMA! AphA manpower statistics off???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feelit83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have yall heard of these dudes: what do you think about this statement?

INDPHARM
To put this in prospective 70,000 new jobs in 12.5 yrs would mean 5600 new jobs a yr or 108 a week or about 15 a day. Wags is opening a store a day but the other chains are not growing nearly as qk. IF you think that most will be clinical jobs - assume about 15,000 jobs now. Assume clinic grows at 15% a yr for 12 years = 5.8 x 15000 = 87,000 clinical pharmacists. But in IMHO growth was not be that high. More math later!!!1

Reply to this Post

post_unread.gif
Top | New Post | Reply to this Post | Search
Previous | Next | Topic List | List All Posts By This Member Author: SlaveRPh (8/3/2007 1:20:20 AM)
Subject: RE: Current pharmacy stats - Read 641 time(s) Well first of all 8000 vacancies is not a shortage. A 2% to 3% vacancy is mainly pharmacists changing jobs hoping the next slave shop is a better environmnet along with store openings. In my town of 100k wag has opened 4 stores and all are quickly staffed by store opening. Further the script count per pharmacist will go up with automation and central fill type operations. The one thing I feel can still take off is the vending machine deal where there is no pharmacist nearby but a phone on the vending machine if a person has a question. Pharmacy is a job where technology is 10 years behind. For example just getting scanable 3rd party cards will speed up production a ton. So my position is there is no shortage now and over supply is more like 3 to 5 years away. Thats when all the new colleges will begin dumping pharmacists. For example Illinois will have 4 or 5 schools. Wag will be licking their chops to start flatening out pay and benefits and more indis will be closed. As far as clinical well its gone no where in the 30 years its been pushed. And now its a 6 year deal. Unbelieveable

Reply to this Post

Members don't see this ad.

First Part of INDPHARM's discussion:

At one time I was a member of APhA. I still get stuff from them attempting to lure me back. One of their publications, Pharmacy Today (July 2007 issue) Had a 'letter' froma L.Michael Possey about the gender shift pharmacy is going thru. But it also has a line about the number of pharmacists expected by 2020. And I quote 'New pharmacists supply projections for 2020 27% higher than esitmates from 2000 (305,000, with 62% of them women)' In other words due to all the new schools plus increased numbers at older colleges we may have a surplus by then since the shortage is about 8,000. In order to NOT have surplus by 2020 then will require about 70,000 new positions in 13 yrs. FIRE AWAY AT WILL!!!!!