PharmCAS Questions

Started by foraminal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else still missing PCAT scores on PharmCAS after submitting several weeks ago? I had my scores sent in late June and there's still nothing. I'm thinking about calling PharmCAS unless a lot of people are still missing theirs as well.

Thanks!

same problem. emailed and will update once i hear back from PharmCAS.
 
Once one's transcript is updated via the academic update, will the Pharm schools revisit your application and see how one has progressed and take the updated grades into account when deciding admission? (for example, 3.4 to 3.6--updated gpa) Or is it too late for deciding admission?😕
I'm sure that PharmCAS will forward the update to your designated schools, otherwise there would be no purpose in filling the Academic Update. For some pharm schools, you might have to just send updates to school directly (I suppose to make processing faster?) so you might want to check that.. but I think it could definitely influence admissions decisions.
 
So how do I know if my application has been verified? Will I receive an e-mail or letter in the mail? Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So how do I know if my application has been verified? Will I receive an e-mail or letter in the mail? Thanks!
PharmCAS never notified me that my application was verified, but just updated the application on the Status side saying "Mailed" for each school. They were mailed about a week after I submitted. Or were you referring to verification from the pharm schools themselves?
 
I have recieved a secondary application link from Loma Linda, which means that they have recieved my application. I haven't heard from other schools.
 
Out of curiosity: since PHARMCAS simply needs to be submitted by a certain deadline, does this apply to PCAT scores as well? Specifically I'm planning to take the PCAT on October 17th, and would like to hit the November 2nd deadline. Is that a) impossible b) reliant on PHARMCAS/PCAT being favorable or c) perfectly fine, except that it's horrible for any school with rolling admissions?
 
My application was mailed on 7/27, but I haven't received confirmation from schools or PharmCAS. I also didn't get an email from PharmCAS stating that they verified my app, yet they mailed it out, so it must mean that it's verified.

Mine was mailed on 7/27 also and I got "PharmCas Application Receipt" by email from Temple 7/30, St. John Fisher 8/4 and by mail from MCP-Worcester 8/1.
 
So it shouldn't really take up to five weeks to get the Pharmcas application verified then? Realistically by some of the posts I am reading on here it will most likely be around 1-2?
 
So it shouldn't really take up to five weeks to get the Pharmcas application verified then? Realistically by some of the posts I am reading on here it will most likely be around 1-2?

Last year I applied in September and it took FOREVER to get it verified and mailed! This year I applied in July and it was verified the same day! It hasn't been mailed yet, but I'm sure it will be soon.
 
same problem. emailed and will update once i hear back from PharmCAS.

I called PharmCAS this morning and they told me that if my scores haven't posted by now then they never received them. This is funny because I called Pearson about a month ago to confirm that they had been sent to PharmCAS.

No one seems willing to take the blame for when this happens. I called Pearson and they told me to send them an email about it explaining the situation, even though I was already on the phone with them. Worst customer service ever. 🙄
 
Out of curiosity: since PHARMCAS simply needs to be submitted by a certain deadline, does this apply to PCAT scores as well? Specifically I'm planning to take the PCAT on October 17th, and would like to hit the November 2nd deadline. Is that a) impossible b) reliant on PHARMCAS/PCAT being favorable or c) perfectly fine, except that it's horrible for any school with rolling admissions?

Option C. Except I bet a lot of people are ALSO taking the October PCAT. I don't think it's a dealbreaker for you.
 
Mine was mailed on 7/27 also and I got "PharmCas Application Receipt" by email from Temple 7/30, St. John Fisher 8/4 and by mail from MCP-Worcester 8/1.

Maybe it depends on the school whether they send an application receipt. I'll keep a look out in the mail, too. Thanks!
 
PharmCAS never notified me that my application was verified, but just updated the application on the Status side saying "Mailed" for each school. They were mailed about a week after I submitted. Or were you referring to verification from the pharm schools themselves?

Just kidding, I went back to my e-mail and searched for PharmCAS and it turns out they verified my application and calculated my GPA a few hours after I submitted the application :O. I didn't pay too much attention at the time since it was so soon, though incidentally I did notice that my PharmCAS GPA was slightly higher.. yay!

Also I just checked the status side as well and it says that the app was mailed to all the schools on 7/27. Today (8/5) I received an e-mail from UOP saying that they received the PharmCAS app, if anyone wants to know for the sake of reference.
 
Just so i get this correct....

The PharmCAS application is sent to the schools even though you have not taken the PCAT? I plan on tkaing the PCAT in October. I did receive my verification email from PHARMCAS. However, the app has not been sent to any of the schools I selected.....someone please confirm
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just so i get this correct....

The PharmCAS application is sent to the schools even though you have not taken the PCAT? I plan on tkaing the PCAT in October. I did receive my verification email from PHARMCAS. However, the app has not been sent to any of the schools I selected.....someone please confirm

Yes. If you e-submit, your application will be sent out WITHOUT PCAT or LORs if they are not in. When they DO come in, PharmCAS sends out an updated one automatically with those scores/LORs. Sometimes it takes time after you e-submit to actually get it mailed out because they are still calculating stuff.
 
I submitted my pharmcas info on 7/27 and pharmcas shows that ALL (6) have been mailed to each respective school...Also I received three automated emails directly from schools that the pharmcas info was received
 
I have applied for 5 schools ( UCSF, UCSD, LLU, Western, Touro) and the Pahrmcas application was mailed 2 weeks ago. I only heard from LLU that they received my application. does anyone know about other schools?
 
When PharmCAS tells us to send transcripts immediately after summer classes, what is the point of sending them if they are not going to update the calculated GPA even after the e-submit?

For example: My verified GPA is 3.37. I just finished my 2 summer classes. If I were to send them in to be updated into my GPA, I would have a 3.42. Basically why should I listen to PharmCAS, waste 7 dollars for transcript order, and send in the summer transcript just so it WOULDN'T get updated? Does anybody have the answers to this? Thanks

Wait until PharmCAS receives the grades, then e-submit. PharmCAS will not adjust GPA calculation after you e-submit, except for acedemic update

My suggestion is to wait a couple weeks for PharmCAS to receive the summer grades
 
I was confused about the same thing too. Pharmcas doesn't calculate your GPA until after you e-submit even if they received your transcripts.
 
I do not think Pharmcas sends appls out ....everyday though. When we e-submit, all appls will be saved in Pharmcas system and they will send all of them at one time. For instance, ones submitted their appls from 6/3 (1st day opened) to 7/26 (before they posted their system), those appls will be sent out 7/27. Even though, if you submitted late 7/26 and was after Pharmcas updates the system, your appl will not be posted to send out on 7/27.

So, 7/27 morning would be the first time that Pharmcas sent appls out to schools. We do not know when they are going to send appls out again unless someone can call Pharmcas and find out. But for those who e-submit on 7/27 until now, your appls still sit in Pharmcas system and all will be sent the same time next time.

This is what my understanding. Correct me if i'm wrong please.
 
So, 7/27 morning would be the first time that Pharmcas sent appls out to schools. We do not know when they are going to send appls out again unless someone can call Pharmcas and find out. But for those who e-submit on 7/27 until now, your appls still sit in Pharmcas system and all will be sent the same time next time.

This is what my understanding. Correct me if i'm wrong please.

Er, well I submitted 7/23, and though I didn't get mine mailed out 7/27 like most people, it did get mailed 8/3, fairly soon thereafter.
 
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has run into PharmCAS weirdness re: course subject areas. I recently submitted my PharmCAS app and was surprised to discover that they classified ALL communication courses as "public speaking" for the course subject. This is weird b/c at the school where I went, communication was a fairly broad major with courses in journalism, theory, film, etc. In fact, "public speaking" per se was in a completely different department entirely (English).

When I brought this discrepancy to PharmCAS's attention, this was their reply:

PharmCAS calculates a standardized GPA to help participating colleges and schools evaluate applicants using uniform and consistent criteria, regardless of different institutional transcript policies. PharmCAS GPAs are likely to be different from those calculated by the colleges and universities you attended due to the PharmCAS grade standardization process.

Has anybody else had weird course subjects applied to certain courses after they applied? I know it says in the PharmCAS instructions that you should list ALL communication courses as "public speaking" but this seems like they're applying far too narrow a standard. Maybe comm courses should actually be classified as social science/behavioral science, unless it specifically says in the course title "public speaking," "debate" or "speech."
 
Er, well I submitted 7/23, and though I didn't get mine mailed out 7/27 like most people, it did get mailed 8/3, fairly soon thereafter.


Oh really?

Did your GPA calculate before 7/27 ?

I know we can e-submit without Lors completed or missing transcripts but will Pharmcas send appls to school incompleted information (ex: uncalculated GPA because lack of transcripts, incompleted Lors)?
 
Oh really?

Did your GPA calculate before 7/27 ?

I know we can e-submit without Lors completed or missing transcripts but will Pharmcas send appls to school incompleted information (ex: uncalculated GPA because lack of transcripts, incompleted Lors)?

If your GPA is not calculated your app WILL NOT be sent out.
 
If your GPA is not calculated your app WILL NOT be sent out.

Thanks for confirmed. I thought the same too because sungieality submitted her appl 7/23 and appl did not send out 7/27.

Carboxide: what about Lors? If you had 3 recommenders on the appl, e-submitted with 2 completed recommendations, does pharmcas hold your app until they get the 3rd one?
 
If PharmCAS says that you should list ALL communication courses as "public speaking" then you should list ALL communication courses as "public speaking". It's as simple as that. It makes it easier for both you and PharmCAS if you just follow the directions.

The schools you're sending you apps to will still be able to see the course title and will know that it's a communication course.
 
Pharmcas does not hold your application for a recommandation letter. They mail your application with 2 LORs and when they receive the 3rd LOR, they will fwd it to the schools.
 
Pharmcas does not holdyour application for a recommandation letter. They mail your application with 2 LORs and when they receive the 3rd LOR, they will fwd it to the schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for confirmed. I thought the same too because sungieality submitted her appl 7/23 and appl did not send out 7/27.

Carboxide: what about Lors? If you had 3 recommenders on the appl, e-submitted with 2 completed recommendations, does pharmcas hold your app until they get the 3rd one?
My GPA was calculated the same day as I submitted it, because I sent my transcripts in by July 3rd.
 
But don't the grades get calculated once you e-submit? I thought that the grades will not be calculated until you e-submit.

It can take up to 5 weeks to calc the GPA after e-submitting if you submit in August or later, just due to the sheer volume of applications that need calculating.

I don't know why they don't just set up an algorithm that does it automatically.
 
I've applied before but forgot exactly where to send the pcat score.

If I apply to pharmacy schools through pharmcas, do I need to send my pcat score to each of these schools or just send my score to pharmcas and they will take care the rest?
 
When you sign into PharmCAS, on the left sidebar under "My Profile" click on "Account Information" and you can stick in your PCAT CID number on the bottom.

You need to check with each school to see if they will take the PCAT score from PharmCAS or if they want it to get sent directly to them. It will usually say under their "Application Process" page or "Application Requirements."
 
Did anyone here go to an undergrad school that is making it seemingly impossible to have them include the PharmCAS transcript form with their official transcript?

At U of Maryland, it seems the only way to request a transcript is online, and I can't see a way to get them to include the form with my transcript. I would just go there and ask, but I don't live in the area anymore. Phoning them is an option, but a nightmarish one. :laugh:

I'm wondering whether the form is mandatory, since PharmCAS says this:

If the form is not included with your transcript, PharmCAS may have difficulty matching your transcript to your application and your application may be delayed in processing.
Thoughts/advice/experiences?
 
Definitely call them. Exhaust that option, and if you still can't get them to send the PharmCAS form w/ the transcript, call PharmCAS and see what they recommend.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree big time by crossing swords with PharmCAS's "Your application may be delayed" shtick. More like, "Your application will be conveniently lost". Better to not take the chance, right?

Call the U of Maryland registrar and get it done.
 
I was entered in my PharmCAS "no' to waive my rights. However, I didn't realize it until I already e-submitted. Is there a way to change that before they sent it out to the schools?

Also, I 'planned' to take the August 2010 but I am no where close to being done with studying. Should I still sit for the exam? Or cancel it and register for the October exam?

If I don't take the August exam, then I need to update that info to PharmCAS correct?
 
If you are eligible for PharmCAS fee waivers, are you also eligible fee waiver for supplemental applications of pharmacy schools?
 
If you are eligible for PharmCAS fee waivers, are you also eligible fee waiver for supplemental applications of pharmacy schools?

Not quite. Different schools have different requirements. You have to inquire to each school and ask their own policy. Some schools grant waivers based on tax returns, other schools don't grant any.
 
Wah. If you can't pay a $50 supplemental fee then pharmacy school tuition is going to destroy you.
 
Wah. If you can't pay a $50 supplemental fee then pharmacy school tuition is going to destroy you.

Everyone can afford it, however why pay if there is a way to get out of it?
 
Everyone can afford it, however why pay if there is a way to get out of it?

I know, it's pathetic.

"I'm so financially unstable that I can't afford a $50 supplemental fee but I'm totally ready to take on $150,000 in loans that accrue interest."

Moreover, how do you expect to attend an interview if $50 dollars is beyond your limit? Even if you stayed at the Motel 6 on a Tuesday night you will go beyond that mark.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
shrug, hey, those supplemental fees add up. If you can get like 5 of those fees together, thats like $300 bucks. Enough money for a low-end visit for an interview.

If you can save it, why not? You clearly have no problem throwing away your money like that, good for you. Me, if there is a way for me to save it in one small form or another, I will gladly take it.
 
shrug, hey, those supplemental fees add up. If you can get like 5 of those fees together, thats like $300 bucks. Enough money for a low-end visit for an interview.

If you can save it, why not? You clearly have no problem throwing away your money like that, good for you. Me, if there is a way for me to save it in one small form or another, I will gladly take it.

What a self-concerned point of view. If you aren't paying for it, somebody else is--but you could give two shi**. You've thoroughly proven mine and SHC's point. Applause.

"throwing away my money?"--I'm sorry, do you mean PAYING FOR A SERVICE? *****.
 
Last edited:
What a self-concerned point of view. If you aren't paying for it, somebody else is--but you could give two shi**. You've thoroughly proven mine and SHC's point. Applause.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I am totally use to that kind of attitude though so I am NOT shock at all. In fact there is an entire population of people like that...they are all using medicaid, you see them all the time coming and going if you work in the pharmacy. According to them, its best to take as many RX as possbile since its "free". 🙄
 
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: I am totally use to that kind of attitude though so I am NOT shock at all. In fact there is an entire population of people like that...they are all using medicaid, you see them all the time coming and going if you work in the pharmacy. According to them, its best to take as many RX as possbile since its "free". 🙄

I've seen this population. They seem to have this idea that things are owed to them; that their's no such thing as an earned privilege, but rather, that these things are their rights. Complete irgorance with a little disregard thrown into the mix.
 
I've seen this population. They seem to have this idea that things are owed to them; that their's no such thing as an earned privilege, but rather, that these things are their rights. Complete irgorance with a little disregard thrown into the mix.

People like that are even less useful than a cow. At least with a cow you can sell him and make money (I think thats so wrong thats why I don't eat beef, but thats getting off topic). People like that are completely worthless not even worth a cow, pig or chicken. Why even exist? :laugh: The world is already over populated and the national debt is already in the trillions those people don't need to make it any worst! :laugh::laugh::laugh: