PharmCAS Questions

Started by foraminal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What a self-concerned point of view. If you aren't paying for it, somebody else is--but you could give two shi**. You've thoroughly proven mine and SHC's point. Applause.

"throwing away my money?"--I'm sorry, do you mean PAYING FOR A SERVICE? *****.

Okay, I choose my words wrong. I had a bad day at work, and I was cranky. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was my right. If I was making enough money to be able to pay for that, sure I'd pay for it myself. But I don't. I am working at a lab being paid **** at the moment. You don't need to judge people and call them "pathetic" for accepting some need-based help. Taking out loans for a big commitment is one thing - applications don't guarantee your acceptance, nor do they commit you to the process. Applying to schools alone adds up quickly in terms of finance, especially if you include the interview process later down the road. Like I said earlier, saving $50 here and there on application fees really helps later to pay for the interviews or whatever else I might have to pay for, such as transcript requests, PCAT fees or whatever.

Would you turn down a scholarship? What's the difference between a need-based scholarship for school versus a application fee waiver? Besides that, obviously, a scholarship for school is probably a couple thousand dollars and a fee waiver is $50 or whatever.
 
Would you turn down a scholarship? What's the difference between a need-based scholarship for school versus a application fee waiver? Besides that, obviously, a scholarship for school is probably a couple thousand dollars and a fee waiver is $50 or whatever.


All scholarships should be based solely on Merit (academic achievements and test scores). Yes, I think a person should have to work. No free handouts.
 
Not quite. Different schools have different requirements. You have to inquire to each school and ask their own policy. Some schools grant waivers based on tax returns, other schools don't grant any.
thanks busyizzy..... you are right
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys....

When you're entering it the AP
courses. Say I got a 5 on AP Chem...and i know that pharmcas
wants you to write it like if it says if the course lab and
lecture are listed separately on your transcript, you must
list them separately on your application. Getting a 5 on AP...gets me 3 courses...chem131(3credits)...chem132(1credit)...and chem271(2 credits)
For chem131 and chem132....they are separate courses...but on
my transcript the credits are grouped together as 4. Should I
split it up in like chem131 (3credits) and chem132 (1credit)
even tho it doesn't specifically separate the credits out?
Sorry if its confusing...😕

 
Did anyone here go to an undergrad school that is making it seemingly impossible to have them include the PharmCAS transcript form with their official transcript?

At U of Maryland, it seems the only way to request a transcript is online, and I can't see a way to get them to include the form with my transcript. I would just go there and ask, but I don't live in the area anymore. Phoning them is an option, but a nightmarish one. :laugh:

I'm wondering whether the form is mandatory, since PharmCAS says this:

Thoughts/advice/experiences?

I took a few summer classes at UMCP. It was a relatively pain-free process: I called the Registrar office and asked, and they said to simply fax them the sheet along with the request for a transcript. For a request, I just sent them a formal letter asking for a transcript including the sheet I attached (the PharmCAS sheet), giving them my information (name, SSN, etc) with it. PharmCAS got it within a week.

Don't underestimate the power of calling and asking.
 
School sent transcript on Aug 3, PharmCAS still didn't received. normal? Should I ask my school sent to them again?
 
I heard from Western University in Pomona today that they've received my application, my file was mailed by Pharmcas about 2 weeks ago.
 
A couple of weeks is normal. Then you might want to call PharmCAS and see what the problem is.
 
Has anyone here had their scores posted yet? I sent mine out in June, and I got a letter from Pearson confirming that they were sent out. Still not posted though... 🙁
 
It is normal for your transcript not to show up in PharmCAS for a while. When I applied last year, it took about a month for my transcript to show up.
 
I heard from Western University in Pomona today that they've received my application, my file was mailed by Pharmcas about 2 weeks ago.

Nice to know. I got confirmation from UC Denver that they received my supplemental but not my Pharmcas application. Pharmcas mailed mine two weeks ago, too. I was starting to get worried that it was lost or something. I feel better that yours was just received and ours was mailed the same day.
 
Okay guys so all of my Pharmcas gpas have been calculated and I got this message: Your application has now been Verified, and will be included in the next PharmCAS mailing to your designated pharmacy schools.


So is this the time when PharmCas contacts my designated schools? When is the earliest that the schools will receive conformation?
 
I also paid the $20 to have my scores sent to pharmacs, but it hasn't been updated yet. Although i just added my pcat cid only a few days ago.
 
Has anyone here had their scores posted yet? I sent mine out in June, and I got a letter from Pearson confirming that they were sent out. Still not posted though... 🙁

I also sent my scores in June. I contacted PharmCAS and they told me that if I sent my scores that long ago and they haven't shown up yet then they were never received. I contacted Pearson and I had to press them a little bit because they insisted that I pay $20 again but they eventually resent my scores to PharmCAS. Hopefully the scores will show up in a few days.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone here had their scores posted yet? I sent mine out in June, and I got a letter from Pearson confirming that they were sent out. Still not posted though... 🙁

I also sent mine out on in june, and got a confirming letter.
I had to pay another 20 bucks to have them resend it ....🙁
 
Hey guys/girls. Just a quick update for those who care...
I submitted my application today and it only took PharmCAS 15 minutes to verify and calculate my gpa. They say it should be sent out next Monday!

They have had my transcript since June so that may of had something to do with it. I guess they are not to busy right now.

good luck everyone
 
Hi guys,

This is my first time applying for school and I really need some help with Pharmcas. Can you guys please show me where to enter the in-progress/planned coursework? Do I enter it under the Coursework section but leave the grades blank? Another question is does Pharmcas only calculate the GPA only after the application has been submitted? Thanks for the help.
 
I just sent out the last of my electronic reference requests, and I noticed that I accidentally put "Dr." instead of "Mr.". Should I delete and resend this, or is there a way for my recommender to change his personal information once they access the pharmcas site?

thanks!
 
I just sent out the last of my electronic reference requests, and I noticed that I accidentally put "Dr." instead of "Mr.". Should I delete and resend this, or is there a way for my recommender to change his personal information once they access the pharmcas site?

thanks!

I did this too. They can change it themselves.
 
Thanks Tato! I submitted on August 1, got my GPA calculated on August 8, but they still haven't sent out my apps to the schools. Kinda surprised it's taken them 10+ days to mail it out, given that everything has been verified, but I heard they only do mailings once per week. So hopefully they'll get mailed on Monday like they told you.

Good luck! 😀

Hey guys/girls. Just a quick update for those who care...
I submitted my application today and it only took PharmCAS 15 minutes to verify and calculate my gpa. They say it should be sent out next Monday!

They have had my transcript since June so that may of had something to do with it. I guess they are not to busy right now.

good luck everyone
 
My GPA got calculated on PharmCas on 8/14 and PharmCas has stated that they are going to contact my designated schools. When should I typically expect to hear back from the schools? And in what form will it be? Will it be via e-mail or on PharmCas?
 
I submitted PharmCAS on July 30th. My GPA was calculated on 8/6/09 and they havent mailed mine out yet. I think I should be the one thats mad.


But, UOP...has already sent me a letter that they received my supp.


Still hoping to get the supps for several schools.
 
Still havent finished my application, and still havent taken my pcats or studied for them. I live in CA, and i know that CA doesnt require pcats, so i was wondering if its possible for me to turn in my pharmcas application to CA like right now, and turn in my pharmcas application to other schools to outer states at a later time ( like around october which is the next pcat date i believe). Or is it ok to turn in my application all at the same time right now, and take my pcats late in october

Thanks
 
You need to submit your application ASAP, as it may take pharmcas some time to calculate your gpa. You can choose which schools you want to recieve your pharmcas application. So if you want the schools in Ca. to see it only check those schools and pay the fee. Or you can choose Ca. schools and the pcat schools and pay at one time. I think the pcat schools won't review your application until you take the pcat.
 
if i send out my application now to CA schools only, is it ok for me to send my applicatoin out to other schools?

also, is taking the pcats in oct too late?
 
if i send out my application now to CA schools only, is it ok for me to send my applicatoin out to other schools?

also, is taking the pcats in oct too late?

Yes, you can send them out to other schools. Pcat schools won't review your application until they receive your pcats scores because your application will be incomplete.

You can take the October pcat. I believe some schools will not accept the January scores though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all - so I just submitted my pharmCAS on 8/16... hoping to get a verification soon. Anyone just submit theirs too?
 
yay.. so my pharmCAS was verified today.. I hope it gets sent out soon! Anyone know how long it should take?
 
I signed up to take the October PCAT today and stupidly forgot to choose PharmCAS as a recipient. Is there any way to change it or do I have to wait until the scores become available and then pay $20 to have them sent there? Thanks.
 
Hey guys, for Pharmcas, the award section does not have any place for you to put the description of the award...how would they know what is the award for? for example I got Dean's Honor...which is like 3.75 and above GPA for one quarter
 
yay.. so my pharmCAS was verified today.. I hope it gets sent out soon! Anyone know how long it should take?
Congrats! Mine took about 10 days before they mailed it out, but mine was completed a little bit earlier than yours. It probably won't be long. They won't send you an update when they mail it out so just check your application status everyday.
 
I did the same thing. I contacted Pearson awhile back, and they said that I could login to the PCAT site and add a recipient. However, they also said that since I am taking the October test, I wouldn't be able to add one until early October. Hope that helps!
 
There isn't a set schedule or something for when they send it out, is there? (like the 1st and 15th of every month or something like that)

I've been debating when to submit mine.
I'm taking the august PCAT and I know that it'll take awhile for them to send the scores in. (Their website says 4-6 weeks. I don't remember how long it actually took since the last time I took it was 3 years ago)
I would like to send it in as soon as possible but I would be sending it in sans PCAT scores. Since schools require the PCAT scores before they will evaluate your application, I might as well wait for the scores to come in.
 
I just called pharmCAS and they said they mail files out once a week. However, they could not tell me when the next mailing would be.
 
How is the pre-requisite GPA calculated? Since schools can have different classes in their pre-requisites, does PharmCAS just have a general list to go off of or something like that? Just wondering, since I'm trying to calculate my pre-requisite GPA before I e-submit. Their GPA page was useful but maybe I'm just confused with something.
 
Just have a couple questions that maybe somebody could help me with:
1. I'm taking the pcat in august for the first time. If I happen to not do well on it, should I even bother submitting the application in pcas?

2. My gpa isn't the greatest. I'm retaking a class in the fall. Should I wait until next year to apply or will my gpa get updated in pcas as I finish my courses?

3. If you retake the PCAT do they send your highest score or is it an average of the scores?
 
From my understanding, if you send your scores to any of the PharmCAS schools, PharmCAS will get. Double-check on this so that you don't give PharmCAS any more money than is necessary.
 
I had a question... I took some classes that I recieved Ws from. Would I classify it as incomplete when putting in my courses?
 
Whoa, I just found out that the eLOR send to PharmCAS has to be attached to a evaluation form. I thought all references just submit the paragraphed letter. I just hope my references did the right things and submitted both in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish it was just the letter. One of my references from a Pharmacist last cycle thought it was just the form so she actually never wrote a letter for me. I asked her to write a letter and when she got the email from Pharmcas she assumed it was just the form so for schools I applied to that were not part of Pharmcas, she sent that Pharmcas form to them as well! I just found out this cycle when I asked her to write an updated letter. Definitely make sure your references understand what they need to do. 🙂
 
My niece is applying to Pharmacy School this year and was complaining that she can only apply to 14 schools because that it the limit on the number of PCAT score reports she can have sent out. Does anyone know if this is true? If she just sends her scores to Pharmcas, will they be able to distribute it to any school she wants (not limited to 14)? Does anyone know if this actually is the limit? One would think you could technically be apply to apply to 5,000 schools if you had the money and time...😀


Why would anyone want to apply to 14 schools? That is a waste of money honestly.
 
My niece is applying to Pharmacy School this year and was complaining that she can only apply to 14 schools because that it the limit on the number of PCAT score reports she can have sent out. Does anyone know if this is true? If she just sends her scores to Pharmcas, will they be able to distribute it to any school she wants (not limited to 14)? Does anyone know if this actually is the limit? One would think you could technically be apply to apply to 5,000 schools if you had the money and time...😀

Yes, you can apply to every PharmCAS school for one PCAT reporting fee (and this has been done). I don't know why you would want to apply to so many schools, but I guess if you don't get in ANYWHERE you would know pretty conclusively that pharmacy school was not for you.
 
Don't send the scores to the school itself unless they do not use PharmCAS. If every school she applys to uses PharmCAS then she only needs to send 1 report to PharmCAS which will send her scores to whichever schools she apply to. Once she does that she could apply to as many as she wants to. 14 is a lot of schools, and like others have said it's overkill, but if she has the money to do it, nothing we can do to stop it.