PharmD after BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RowingMunkeyCU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just graduated (May '06) with a BS in Software Engineering (totally different, I know). I didn't do very well (2.5/4.0 gpa) as I got very discouraged with the program, slacked off a lot and stopped caring. I've had the feeling for a while that I'm in the wrong field, and that Pharmacy is my true calling. Through school, I took the basic courses everyone does (Chem 1&2, Calc 1&2&3, Physics 1&2, Statistics, Micro-econ, various liberal arts reqs, and AP Bio transfer credits).

Now that you have a little background, here's what I'm trying to figure out:

1. Since I already have a BS, do many Pharm schools accept the classes that I already took, satisfying the pre-pharm reqs?

2. If they accept them, do they count the grade towards the PharmD gpa, or is it a pass/fail deal?

3. For the pre-reqs that I dont have already, possible to take them at a community college?

4. For the chem pre-reqs, since I took chem 1&2 consecutively, finishing 2 about a year ago, would it present many problems for taking the rest of the chem pre-reqs (ie- organic chem)?

5. Any way to study for a pharmD part time? (i already have about $40K in loans, and need to work at the same time).

I appreciate all responses :)

Members don't see this ad.

RowingMunkeyCU said:
So I just graduated (May '06) with a BS in Software Engineering (totally different, I know). I didn't do very well (2.5/4.0 gpa) as I got very discouraged with the program, slacked off a lot and stopped caring. I've had the feeling for a while that I'm in the wrong field, and that Pharmacy is my true calling. Through school, I took the basic courses everyone does (Chem 1&2, Calc 1&2&3, Physics 1&2, Statistics, Micro-econ, various liberal arts reqs, and AP Bio transfer credits).

1. Since I already have a BS, do many Pharm schools accept the classes that I already took, satisfying the pre-pharm reqs?

2. If they accept them, do they count the grade towards the PharmD gpa, or is it a pass/fail deal?

3. For the pre-reqs that I dont have already, possible to take them at a community college?

4. For the chem pre-reqs, since I took chem 1&2 consecutively, finishing 2 about a year ago, would it present many problems for taking the rest of the chem pre-reqs (ie- organic chem)?

5. Any way to study for a pharmD part time? (i already have about $40K in loans, and need to work at the same time).

Is your CU Clemson by chance?? I'm Clemson class of '88. Here's my answers to the above.

1. Yes, as long as the grades are C or better they should be accepted as pre-reqs. Every pharmacy school will have a slightly different set of prereqs required - you should be able to easily find that on the website.
2. As far as I know, you will start over with a fresh GPA for your pharmacy school. However, the schools will consider your current GPA when deciding whether to admit you or not.
3. Yes, you should be able to take missing prereqs at a community college, as long as it is a class that would be transferable to a 4 year institution.
4. No, it should not be a problem that you took the Chem 1-2 sequence a few years ago. Generally, that's what you take right before organic.
5. No, as far as I know, all Pharm D programs are full-time programs. Many are of the standard fall/spring semester and off summer variety. Some are 3 years, but you go pretty much year around. The only exception that I'm aware of is some school in the northeast (can't remember which one right now) that has just started a program where you go on the weekend only, but I think you have to have some previous pharmacy experience to get into that program. Somebody else on the board will know more details about that - sorry I'm foggy on the specifics.

RowingMunkeyCU said:

I am also a Computer Engineer BS grad who worked for 10 years, then decided software isn't for me, and the medical field is where its at. I asked many of the same questions. I'll answer the ones I know.

1. The classes that you took such as Chemistry, Physics and Calculus do count. I hope you got good grades in those classes because they will be used to calculate your science and math GPA. ALL math classes are used to calculate math GPA, not just the two calculus courses. So if you took differential equations, that counts too. I did.

2.) You can take your pre-reqs at a CC. There are varying opinions which schools have more swing, but people get accepted into pharm schools with GPA pre-reqs filled at CCs.

3.) You need to spend extra time priming yourself for ochem. It is a difficult course. I took Chem2 after not taking Chem1 in ten years. I got an A but it required extra time. If you are working 30 hrs a week, you will not have extra time.

Also, PharmCas does count courses you retook and computes both classes into your gpa. Go to the PharmCas site and look at the FAQ section. Also look at the FAQs on this message board ( the sticky thread at the top ). That will probably answer many questions you have. Good luck to you sir.

Members don't see this ad :)
RowingMunkeyCU said:

You sound exactly like me, especially when you said you stopped caring about school! I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering in 2002. I will be going to pharmacy school this fall at UGA so I think I can help you out.

1. Yes, most schools will accept those classes you took for engineering as prereqs for pharmacy. I already had calculus, English, psychology, economics, chemistry, and physics credit among others that counted as prereqs for pharmacy.

2. They will be counted as your pre-req GPA or pre-pharmacy GPA, which will be used along with your overall GPA in determining how competitive you are. Some schools look at the overall GPA more while others look at the pre-pharmacy GPA.

3. Yes, this is what I did. It's cheap and you'll still get a great education. I went to a prestigious 4 year school for my BS but retained more from the CC I went to for additional prereqs.

4. I had a little trouble at first (I took general chem in 1998!) but it will slowly all come back to you. I made As in both O Chem I and II!

5. No, but I think Duquesne has some sort of weekend program but I'm really not sure.

Good luck!

thanks for all your help so far everyone :)

to answer your question about the school i went to, it was Clarkson University. so now that you've answered my first questions i have a few more, lol.

at this point im trying to develop a plan of action for getting where i need/want to be. i am planning on re-taking all of the pre-reqs at Monroe Community College, as I live in Rochester, NY, with the exception of the liberal arts classes. I'd really like to show off what I can do, and put my best foot forward for the admissions staff of the PharmD school. I am also looking at attending the University of Buffalo once the pre-reqs are finished.

my main dilemma at this point is figuring out how to pay for the schooling. the CC isn't an issue, it's pretty cheap, but paying for the rest of the schooling isn't cheap. the problem is already having about $38K in loans. so my plan so far is this: take the pre-reqs for the next 2 years, while working to pay off some of the loans.

any ideas on what i should do, or how to pay for it?

Do you still have your job as a software engineer? What I did was to ask my company if I could work part time so I could take prereqs during the days I wasn't working. I know that it is really hard to work part time as an engineer but you can try asking. Also, why do you want to retake the prereqs you already completed? I wouldn't unless I had bad grades in all of them.

I worked a 10yrs as a software engineer. I'm going back to school with the money I saved up. You may want to work for a while and take night class to pay down some of those bills.

starsweet said:
Do you still have your job as a software engineer? What I did was to ask my company if I could work part time so I could take prereqs during the days I wasn't working. I know that it is really hard to work part time as an engineer but you can try asking. Also, why do you want to retake the prereqs you already completed? I wouldn't unless I had bad grades in all of them.

Yes, i still have my job as a soft-e. taking the pre-req classes part time isnt a big deal either, because i can take night classes. the main reason i want to retake the classes is because i did alright on them previously, but i want to really do well in them to have the best chance of being accepted for the rest of the education.