PharmD and Graduate School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frankunder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, how's it going, had a quick question.. I'm a 5th year pharmacy student in a 0-6 PharmD program right now, on track to get a BS in pharmacy in May, and then a PharmD a year after that.. only thing is that a few months ago I sort of decided that pharmacy wasn't really what I'm 100% interested in, and started thinking about pursuing another path such as computer science or maybe chemistry in Grad School. Definitely a pretty big change lol, but it seems somewhat possible from talking to a few people at the computer science school here. I'm sort of conflicted though because I'm not sure whether to just apply to grad school right now and not do the 6th year, or try to apply to grad school after I get my PharmD.. from talking to someone in career services it sounds like a PharmD may make grad schools sort of question why I'm making such a big change in career.. but on the other hand I feel like it could potentially help me, I mean it sounds like such a nice degree I feel, even if I'm not going to be doing something pharmacy related lol. If anyone has any advice on whether finishing the PharmD may be the best option, in helping me get into grad school and also just in general after grad school, or just applying to grad school now with a bachelor's, I would greatly appreciate it.. just feel like I don't have quite enough info to make a good decision.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't throw away the last five years (and a credential you can finish in a year). Finish up the PharmD and then apply for other programs if so inclined. I mean, honestly... I can't imagine going through undergrad again with the option of working weekends as a pharmacist (with a pharmacist's wage).

I think it's definitely possible. I remember reading way back on this forum someone did a pharm.d and then a ph.d in electrical engineering. It would definitely make you an interesting and unique candidate compared to usual applicants. If you're questioned on why the big change, you should have a good reason (interest, passion, etc)

I'd finish the pharm.d and apply during the last year and work on building up a reason as to why you want to pursue grad school in the field you choose (i.e research w/professor in comp sci or chem) if you haven't already done so. Plus most people will probably recognize the Pharm.D instead of the BS Pharm so the Pharm.D background might be more helpful in future employment in conjunction with your graduate degree. You'd also have a degree that serves as a better backup in case things go south and a Pharm.D might sound better to help get into grad school. If money is a factor, maybe the BS Pharm is a better option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, how's it going, had a quick question.. I'm a 5th year pharmacy student in a 0-6 PharmD program right now, on track to get a BS in pharmacy in May, and then a PharmD a year after that.. only thing is that a few months ago I sort of decided that pharmacy wasn't really what I'm 100% interested in, and started thinking about pursuing another path such as computer science or maybe chemistry in Grad School. Definitely a pretty big change lol, but it seems somewhat possible from talking to a few people at the computer science school here. I'm sort of conflicted though because I'm not sure whether to just apply to grad school right now and not do the 6th year, or try to apply to grad school after I get my PharmD.. from talking to someone in career services it sounds like a PharmD may make grad schools sort of question why I'm making such a big change in career.. but on the other hand I feel like it could potentially help me, I mean it sounds like such a nice degree I feel, even if I'm not going to be doing something pharmacy related lol. If anyone has any advice on whether finishing the PharmD may be the best option, in helping me get into grad school and also just in general after grad school, or just applying to grad school now with a bachelor's, I would greatly appreciate it.. just feel like I don't have quite enough info to make a good decision.

Thanks! :)

1. Get your PharmD
2. Get a mastors in information systems or some equivalent training (2 year IT pharmacy residency)
3. Make bank as an IT pharmacist and relax as you have one of the most stable and desirable specialties in pharmacy.

1. Get your PharmD
2. Get a mastors in information systems or some equivalent training (2 year IT pharmacy residency)
3. Make bank as an IT pharmacist and relax as you have one of the most stable and desirable specialties in pharmacy.

What's the pay like?

I'm not sure, but I can imagine it would be more than a regular staff pharmacist. When you think about it, anything over 100K is making bank. Depends on your perspective and personal finance habits.

Nah, definitely finish your pharmD.