PharmD at poison control

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evildarklord

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do pharmacists in the setting of a poison control center make annually?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thought you were trying to do a residency. Shouldn't you be paying attention to the Match tomorrow instead of interviewing?

From what I've seen, same as staff rph for the affiliated hospital/facility. Assuming their funding isn't being threatened, it ranks among the best pharmacy jobs in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's a great job but I think it usually pays on the lower end of things.

I would guess it pays on the low end of staff RPh's at the facility. I applied for a position at Parkland Hospital here in Dallas. I never got called back. I was at little hesitant because the posting said BSN nurses could apply as well. I figured the salary would be low and they would hire nurses before RPh's.

Are there extra opportunities to become more clinical-oriented? My ideal job is a mix of academia/clinical with strong toxicology background....I just don't know the best way to work up to that type of position...

Last edited:
well, turns out I didn't match for residency this year. Poison Control might be the closest thing to clinical, although in a very specialized area, that I can think of now. The interview has been re-scheduled to next week. I actually heard the feedback that they prefer hiring PharmD than anybody else because of our expertise in drug info. Just still unsure about the salary...

What about other things like "teaching" you guys mentioned? Does that mean I can take and precept students? Are there extra opportunities to become more clinical-oriented? My ideal job is a mix of academia/clinical with strong toxicology background....I just don't know the best way to work up to that type of position...

The job sounds like something one would do after an EM PGY-2 or tox fellowship.

For the most part(generalization), the pharmacists in the pcc are CSPIs vs the more academic/clinical types are DABAT.

How possible for CSPIs to advance into DABAT and become more clinically trained? I'm really curious because my passion is in EM/Critical Care mixed with Toxicology, but all dreams are kind of crushed away yesterday after mis-matched...

We have an opportunity to do a rotation at the local poison control center which is based inside a secure facility in the university hospital. I signed up for it but I won't know what my actual APPE schedule is until next month.

Following up, has anyone determined the salary of Poison Control Pharmacist?
I called around to several Texas PCC's and couldn't determine salaries.
The pharmacists did say that they're replacing the RPH's with RN's.
There are 5 PCC's in Texas.
They used to be open 24 hrs a day but now all but 2 go home at 10pm. 2 PCC's, including Dallas, apparently have funds to stay open 24 hours.
I would imagine this arrangement can only work in a big state as the money is allocated per state.
With such a large study hurdle (see above), is this a career path worth going into?
RN's in Texas are paid $21-$30 an hour, so I'd imagine the RPH salary was at most 66% more?