Pharmd combinations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lubeckd

Learner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay guys, what can you do with PharmD/MBA, Public health, Cerfs in BCPS .etc .etc
Or English/PharmD become a pharmacy writer? Worth pursuing a 2nd degree?

Members don't see this ad.

You can have more debt.

-zelman, PharmD, MS, BCPS

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
master of cs/ds
get one, move out of pharm, get two, move around freely between tech, hospitals, pharma/biotech, retail;)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
public health? why not biostats? it can legit open doors to become statistical programmers for pharma/biotech
bcps? without residency, by itself is pretty much useless and won't do anything other than another diploma on the wall

okay guys, what can you do with PharmD/MBA, Public health, Cerfs in BCPS .etc .etc
Or English/PharmD become a pharmacy writer? Worth pursuing a 2nd degree?
my school just graduated its first pharmd/mba this year. another 100k debt + another year, and now he works for iqvia as a "consultant". glassdoor says it's a barely 100k job. i have no idea if the extra 3 letters made financial sense for him though

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
master of cs/ds
get one, move out of pharm, get two, move around freely between tech, hospitals, pharma/biotech, retail;)
the dreammmmm. actually I decided to work in hedge fund for 3-5 years. Depending if I can retire on that money I will or go for Chief Risk Officer in the hospitals or C suites in one of these chains lol. My backup is software engineering cause its easy. CFO I wont mind either. But I just want a easy life lol

• Haha
my school just graduated its first pharmd/mba this year. another 100k debt + another year, and now he works for iqvia as a "consultant". glassdoor says it's a barely 100k job. i have no idea if the extra 3 letters made financial sense for him though
my school released a mba program for tableau with MBA, what do you think about it? Data analytics as a tool like robinhood LOL. well yeah it doesnt do anything, just helps you get a promotion maybe

the dreammmmm. actually I decided to work in hedge fund for 3-5 years. Depending if I can retire on that money I will or go for Chief Risk Officer in the hospitals or C suites in one of these chains lol. My backup is software engineering cause its easy. CFO I wont mind either. But I just want a easy life lol
part-time ms in ds + ms in cs will be another 3-4 years for me. officially done with all schooling by 2023?
with 3 years exp under my belt by 2023, doors will be wide open. tech>pharma/biotech>>>>>>hospital>retail

To be frank I think you two could use a dose or two of humility.

Reactions: 2 users
If I get tired, I think you and me could partner for a Tech company focused on pharmacy lol... Could be founders, actually that title doesnt impress me anymore like andrew yangs software healthcare company or trumps real estate development, cause I could do it anytime, its just the debt ratio I dont want to fall into

Members don't see this ad :)
To be frank I think you two could use a dose or two of humility.
oh come on, this forum is kinda like no man's land. full of pessimism and sarcasm, yet no one is trying to offer any sort of useful advice that realistically works.

Energy vampires
i get much more helpful input and career advises from applicants and other working data scientists graduated from the program on reddit in just a few clicks. here? i guess no one takes it seriously any more.

i get much more helpful input and career advises from applicants and other working data scientists graduated from the program on reddit in just a few clicks. here? i guess no one takes it seriously any more.
I can send you a pdf on how to start a tech company or hedge fund

Man people getting jealous here :x. probably one of the smartest people in pharm class
There you go again :) You're underestimating what it takes to go to a good hedge fund and overestimating both the average stay time of an analyst (2-3 years) and the value of your data skills. Where the PharmD would have most synergy is L/S hedge funds that don't incorporate much data science. The Jane Streets, DE Shaws and Optivers that favor HFT have an army full of T20 CS and PhD candidates to pick from.

oh come on, this forum is kinda like no man's land. full of pessimism and sarcasm, yet no one is trying to offer any sort of useful advice that realistically works.
Agreed - that doesn't really change what I wrote. You don't need to spend your time denigrating others. And as I recall you received advice in your own thread about next steps.

FYI, IQVIA comp is ~110k base and increases to ~140-160k after 3-4 years, + bonus

There you go again :) You're underestimating what it takes to go to a good hedge fund and overestimating both the average stay time of an analyst (2-3 years) and the value of your data skills. Where the PharmD would have most synergy is L/S hedge funds that don't incorporate much data science. The Jane Streets, DE Shaws and Optivers that favor HFT have an army full of T20 CS and PhD candidates to pick from.

Agreed - that doesn't really change what I wrote. You don't need to spend your time denigrating others. And as I recall you received advice in your own thread about next steps.

FYI, IQVIA comp is ~110k base and increases to ~140-160k after 3-4 years, + bonus

you probably didn't read the part of me having connections or being mentored by a phd in math who is in a hedge, already plus the combination of someone actually owning a hedge fund who is also showing me the ropes.

Last edited:
Don't worry I'm on a good path. Worry about yourself :). In fact my circle is filled with people from higher circles. Unfortunately it true you can't do much with the MBA. But you can get promoted. I would just learn it for general knowledge

well, you have to put into perspective. snapchat interns earn 10k a month + benefits, and it's not the only company offering this kind of pay to interns.
so tell me how that mba on top of pharmd, with 100k more debt and one additional year, on top of god knows how much total student loan and years in school he has, is a good deal?

I think maybe you put these people in too high of a regard? When the field is closer to you. You don't hold it in high regard. It's just like a Vice President or execute chef title. It's just titles. Or doctorate. Plus who said I would go for data science? There are also software engineering in this route. But yes, I'm learning hedging techniques from them. Of course it also depends on the investment, is it possible? Yes, it depends on how much time you invest and is the investment worth it. Of course I did say I won't stay for long. But I do have people around me inside the circle who want to see me make it and ensure I do ;)

well, you have to put into perspective. snapchat interns earn 10k a month + benefits, and it's not the only company offering this kind of pay to interns.
so tell me how that mba on top of pharmd, with 100k more debt and one additional year, on top of god knows how much total student loan and years in school he has, is a good deal?
For every person at Snap, Adobe, FAANG, etc making ~200k starting, you have another SWE at Goldman making 120k and another at HP making 80k. i.e. you are comparing the top of the distribution with the middle, and further undiscounting the CoL associated with living in SV.

I don't think he needed to MBA, but if it got him that job, then it may have been worth it. Not everyone wants to be an SWE or data scientist, and its not the only lucrative career.

I think maybe you put these people in too high of a regard? When the field is closer to you. You don't hold it in high regard. It's just like a Vice President or execute chef title. It's just titles. Or doctorate. Plus who said I would go for data science? There are also software engineering in this route. But yes, I'm learning hedging techniques from them. Of course it also depends on the investment, is it possible? Yes, it depends on how much time you invest and is the investment worth it. Of course I did say I won't stay for long. But I do have people around me inside the circle who want to see me make it and ensure I do ;)
I know and work with enough of the types of people you speak of to understand what it takes - that's all I'll say.

• Haha
For every person at Snap, Adobe, FAANG, etc making ~200k starting, you have another SWE at Goldman making 120k and another at HP making 80k. i.e. you are comparing the top of the distribution with the middle, and further undiscounting the CoL associated with living in SV.

I don't think he needed to MBA, but if it got him that job, then it may have been worth it. Not everyone wants to be an SWE or data scientist, and its not the only lucrative career.
I said MBA is more for promotions. It depends on how you leverage it. But for most new grads it won't do anything

I said MBA is more for promotions. It depends on how you leverage it. But for most new grads it won't do anything

I know and work with enough of the types of people you speak of to understand what it takes - that's all I'll say.
Well someone can always go project manager...

I feel this guy has a MBA. And is projecting onto me the value of a MBA. You can also project to me the value of a pharmd. It's not useless, but there are so many degrees that are better. Like if you want to go into finance it's better to pick a cfa, at this point it's about leveraging your network and connections.

I know and work with enough people you speak of to understand what it takes - that's all I'll say.
of course a harvard mba grad can always work as a janitor, but if you read carefully, i was referring to ROI of an mba on top of pharmd.
CoL living in SV is offset by the benefit. officially snapchat interns get paid 10k a month + 1.5k housing.
Mind you, this was the 2016 rate. It probably went up even higher as many tech stocks doubled or even tripled from 2016 to 2019.

I feel this guy has a MBA. And is projecting onto me the value of a MBA. You can also project to me the value of a pharmd. It's not useless, but there are so many degrees that are better. Like if you want to go into finance it's better to pick a cfa, at this point it's about leveraging your network and connections.
Except I don't, and I'm not. I've already spoken about the value of MBAs in other posts. Your point about CFA only applies to HF, ER and AM - it has little ROI anywhere else.

That's the last I'll say, and I will go back to my first post: I think you need a dose or two of humility.
of course a harvard mba grad can always work as a janitor, but if you read carefully, i was referring to ROI of an mba on top of pharmd.
CoL living in SV is offset by the benefit. officially snapchat interns get paid 10k a month + 1.5k housing.
Mind you, this was the 2016 rate. It probably went up even higher as many tech stocks doubled or even tripled from 2016 to 2019.
I don't think it's in contention that salaries for those firms are higher and I don't think that's ever been debatable. My point is - I don't think you need to spend your time denigrating others.

seriously, if he doesn't want a lucrative career, then why bothering go for mba, which carries 100k+ tuition cost and additional year? the time value of money concept is taught in every intro to finance course. as a iqvia consultant, he has to accumulate 3-4 years for the company just in order to start to match tech internship pay 3 years ago?

Man people getting jealous here :x. probably one of the smartest people in pharm class
Works 1 day in retail & gets absolutely slaughtered...I've seen it plenty. Academics do not necessarily translate well into real-world skills/experiences. These type I notice tend to overthink everything initially & have decision fatigue initially until he/she gets the hang of things/learns how to adapt to the environment (that is if he/she can last long enough, not endure mutiny from veteran RPh/technicians, booted/turned into a floater by DM, etc.)
Energy vampires
As a Vampire, I take major offense to your insensitive comment (type of reactions you will get from customers in retail)

Last edited:
Except I don't, and I'm not. I've already spoken about the value of MBAs in other posts. Your point about CFA only applies to HF, ER and AM - it has little ROI anywhere else.

That's the last I'll say, and I will go back to my first post: I think you need a dose or two of humility.
I don't think it's in contention that salaries for those firms are higher and I don't think that's ever been debatable. My point is - I don't think you need to spend your time denigrating others.
I think you are seriously over-reacting. read my post again and tell me how i denigrated him. i said "i have no idea if the extra 3 letters made financial sense for him though.", and that was my only comment. The previous 2 sentences were just stating the fact. So what triggered you?

MBA is only good for duals. The salary is cap,

then you know your pharmacy p

then I don't think you know the industry well. As I said before I'm doing it everyday with them. What you do is see, I actually do

Works 1 day in retail & gets absolutely slaughtered...I've seen it plenty. Academics do not necessarily translate well into real-world skills/experiences. These type I notice tend to overthink everything initially & have decision fatigue initially until he/she gets the hang of things/learns how to adapt to the environment (that is if he/she can last long enough, not endure mutiny from veteran RPh/technicians, booted/turned into a floater by DM, etc.)

As a Vampire, I take major offense to your insensitive comment (type of reactions you will get from customers in retail)
I know two military people who do really well in hedge funds. And he says he isn't the smartest but he has his own rules. The purpose of this thread is to see which combination fits. As I said earlier MBA does help, if you know how to leverage it. You can go into a lot of different fields but it doesn't always pay better

I think you are seriously over-reacting. read my post again and tell me how i denigrated him. i said "i have no idea if the extra 3 letters made financial sense for him though.", and that was my only comment. The previous 2 sentences were just stating the fact. So what triggered you?
Possible I misinterpreted. :)

CFA > MBA in finance. Even a CPA > MBA. Marketing > MBA. MBA is a generalist, but its good to know a lot of different things

and how can I have some humility when I didn't attack anyone and Im closer to the people in the field itself? Its like saying Im going to work in pharmacy when I am a pharmacy student. You are being trained by hospital pharmacist and you are entering in hospital

I know two military people who do really well in hedge funds. And he says he isn't the smartest but he has his own rules. The purpose of this thread is to see which combination fits. As I said earlier MBA does help, if you know how to leverage it. You can go into a lot of different fields but it doesn't always pay better
i think the most cost efficient way is still work from bottom. when time is right, let the company to pay for eMBA, or get it as cheap as possible.

i think the most cost efficient way is still work from bottom. when time is right, let the company to pay for eMBA, or get it as cheap as possible.
I asked the students the curriculum, its basics. marketing, accounting and finance. Plus working in teams and managing, its really good for management and being a generalist. And its possible to branch out to different fields.

CFA > MBA in finance. Even a CPA > MBA. Marketing > MBA. MBA is a generalist, but its good to know a lot of different things
I actually took and passed CFA level 1 a few years back, before pharm school. I think it might be overvalued though. level 1 was just read balance sheet, some micro/macro econ stuff, some calculation and ethics.

Also I want to let you know, that its about knowing people and how to call in favors, that's networking. Cause I know they can recommend me to another firm. How come the smartest pharmacy students are jobless after graduation? and how come people that are not so smart are able to get jobs? And its not really that bad when you are going through it with them. As I said you worship people too much, and the hedge fund people I know always preach to me to not worship others. Or maybe its because Im next to them that I am in this personality :) . But do you

I actually took and passed CFA level 1 a few years back, before pharm school. I think it might be overvalued though. level 1 was just read balance sheet, some micro/macro econ stuff, some calculation and ethics.
yes unfortunately... the system is there just to make money.

I asked the students the curriculum, its basics. marketing, accounting and finance. Plus working in teams and managing, its really good for management and being a generalist. And its possible to branch out to different fields.
and there is many people taking CFA for fun now. I did, and the guy who sat next to me during the exam was a Salesforce SDE also did.

Also I want to let you know, that its about knowing people and how to call in favors, that's networking. Cause I know they can recommend me to another firm. How come the smartest pharmacy students are jobless after graduation? and how come people that are not so smart are able to get jobs? And its not really that bad when you are going through it with them. As I said you worship people too much, and the hedge fund people I know always preach to me to not worship others. Or maybe its because Im next to them that I am in this personality :) . But do you
A students work for B students, C students run the business, and D students dedicate the buildings :p

All are welcome to the conversation let's keep on the point of pharmd combinations that can work. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if you think you can make it to residency or director of pharmacy go for it.

A students work for B students, C students run the business, and D students dedicate the buildings :p
actually some techs brought a pharmacy and made pharmacist run it... you just need the basics of MBA... since the dual programs are new there is no network. You can also find a bunch of MBA new grads who don't know how to leverage the MBA in their favor

I think you are missing the point...what others have said, getting ahead of yourself & putting yourself in a leadership position/managing others. Good luck managing other people who have absolutely no respect for you. You may do great with a non-patient centered position