Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
I think you are missing the point...what others have said, getting ahead of yourself & putting yourself in a leadership position/managing others. Good luck managing other people who have absolutely no respect for you. You may do great with a non-patient centered position
No one said I don't respect the other poster. I also think you are thinking I see myself superior but i don't, I just say do you

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
actually some techs brought a pharmacy and made pharmacist run it... you just need the basics of MBA... since the dual programs are new there is no network. You can also find a bunch of MBA new grads who don't know how to leverage the MBA in their favor

I think the app numbers are down cuz people are getting smarter with their investments. the advantage of mba even from elite schools can no longer justify the ever rising tuition. harvard mba charges 72k per year, and other costs could easily break 100k a year. that's 200k over the whole degree. it's the same issue as pharm and law schools all over.

• Wow
Reactions: Lubeckd

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
MBA Degree: Master's in Business Administration

fully online mba from boston university, costing 24k overall, and they don't require GRE or GMAT any more, just bachelor transcript, one rec letter, 3 years experience and personal statement. btw, boston university mba is ranked 37 nationally.

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
Online Master of Computer and Information Technology - Penn Engineering Online Learning

fully online cs master from UPenn. It is actually a very reputable program, with alumni all over big techs. again $25k total tuition, graduate in 1-3 years. no need to have cs bachelor. just a bachelor from an accredited school is enough to apply~

I think schools are realizing they are charging too much for tuition, and now they are pretty much doing market segmentation to target anyone who wishes to learn from them. in the end, the online and on-campus get the same diploma and alumni network. as more and more top tier schools follow the trend, i guess gen alpha can probably just stay at home and do their entire undergrad and masters on a couch :)

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
Online Master of Computer and Information Technology - Penn Engineering Online Learning

fully online cs master from UPenn. It is actually a very reputable program, with alumni all over big techs. again $25k total tuition, graduate in 1-3 years. no need to have cs bachelor. just a bachelor from an accredited school is enough to apply~

I think schools are realizing they are charging too much for tuition, and now they are pretty much doing market segmentation to target anyone who wishes to learn from them. in the end, the online and on-campus get the same diploma and alumni network. as more and more top tier schools follow the trend, i guess gen alpha can probably just stay at home and do their entire undergrad and masters on a couch :)
Pharmacy schools are dropping pcat because people know college is a scam

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
college enrollment numbers are slowly declining. mba application numbers are down year by year. law school application numbers are down year by year. pharm school application numbers are down year by year. med school application numbers are stagnating since 2015 and only increased by a few thousand compared to most recent peak in late 1990s.

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
the problem being is that we were taught growing up is the complete opposite of reality. People are turning to robotics more as well
a decade ago, it was during the gloomiest days of the great recession. all professions were hit HARD by economic downturn, except healthcare. health professions were assumed to be recession-proof, and that's what we saw and were taught back then. time has change, and we are in a complete different world as we were 10 years ago

• Sad

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
the problem being is that we were taught growing up is the complete opposite of reality. People are turning to robotics more as well
one of my high school classmates yesterday updated her linkedin profile. she graduated at top of the class and went to stanford, then went for bioengineering master at UPenn, switched to wharton one year later, just graduated with mba this year, and now she's back to stanford for cs master. o_O

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
one of my high school classmates yesterday updated her linkedin profile. she graduated at top of the class and went to stanford, then went for bioengineering master at UPenn, switched to wharton one year later, just graduated with mba this year, and now she's back to stanford for cs master. o_O
unfortunately like I said you need to find a 2nd degree these days, the times have change for one industry. Its also not what you know, but who you know as well. Because MBA is more for promotions and network but a CFA knows more than a mba in terms of finance

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
well she can probably be IT director with the MBA though! but project manager courses are quicker and better ;)

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
FYI fun fact too is that a lot of mbas are job hunting now, I just message them and they dont know how to leverage the MBA at all.

Reactions: MindGeek

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
unfortunately like I said you need to find a 2nd degree these days, the times have change for one industry. Its also not what you know, but who you know as well. Because MBA is more for promotions and network but a CFA knows more than a mba in terms of finance
degree inflation man~ also failure of education system.

• Sad

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
FYI fun fact too is that a lot of mbas are job hunting now, I just message them and they dont know how to leverage the MBA at all.
wharton mba graduate going back to school for cs master o_O it clearly shows something isn't right

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
well its worth it for skills, but not jobs. the question is it worth your investment? the supply and demand has gone crazy now.
the previous "Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Doctors" article also pointed out the rise of STEM jobs, and our "entitled generation" wants no part of having to go rural for residencies and jobs. tech is drawing all sorts of talent towards itself and away from others, law, medicine, finance, business and all other engineering domains like aerospace, chemical and mechanical.

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
I never asked what you think about tableau? Actually energy still makes the most. But you cant combine it

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
Today I just found this
Healthcare informatics Cerf from Columbia. Maybe a good combination for tech + healthcare

TBH, a lot of these courses will be covered in much more depth and emphasis from cs or ds master programs from other schools, on statistics, programming and computational methods.

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
Pharmacist
I hope all you MBA people bookmark this thread and come back in 10 years to update us all on how it worked out for you.

Some people are just "professional" students, other people just get out and work.

KARM12

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status
Pharmacist
Most of these extra degrees aren't super useful unless you have experience. Go work for 5 years and then get an MBA/MHA/MS.

Reactions: Rouelle and Lubeckd
OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
To be frank I think you two could use a dose or two of humility.
Oh yeah I'll like to say it's actually easier as a outlier. Because it's so hard, people don't want to do it. There is no competition. The more people have the more they lose, paralyzed by fear. Because it's so scary the average American doesn't try. Think on it.

Argentium

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I got my MBA after my PharmD and its worked out pretty well for me afterwards in industry. It was paid for by my company and I wouldn't say that it was hugely useful in my progression/promotions but it certainly didn't hurt (and this is coming from someone in a commercial role).

Also, for all those talking about the "ROI" of a top-tier MBA, if you go into consulting or banking afterwards, you make a solid starting salary ($200k+ w/ bonus) with a nice sign on bonus, and many companies pay for your tuition for your second year if you're a returning summer intern. Money aside, the MBA at an M7 is a fantastic two year vacation with little pressure (grade non-disclosure to employers) and a ton of fun (20/30's classmates, money isn't a huge issue, a ton of partying/traveling)

I took the better "ROI" path of having my company pay for the MBA, but I certainly can't fault someone for taking the FT MBA route w/ a little less financial discipline but a lot more fun. The dollars will come if you're good at your job

Also, agree with everything JBrl has said - he is someone who actually comes from a white shoe firm rather than a bunch of students who have been most vocal in this thread ...

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
DC
Status
Pharmacist, Academic Administration
View attachment 275584

View attachment 275585

TBH, a lot of these courses will be covered in much more depth and emphasis from cs or ds master programs from other schools, on statistics, programming and computational methods.
You have no idea that this is the school of Shortliffe, Cimino, and Richardson and is the fourth oldest of the NIH-NLM T institutions and that only Octo Barnett's and Homer Warner's laboratories were more influential and productive. All right, blocked.

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
I got my MBA after my PharmD and its worked out pretty well for me afterwards in industry. It was paid for by my company and I wouldn't say that it was hugely useful in my progression/promotions but it certainly didn't hurt (and this is coming from someone in a commercial role).

Also, for all those talking about the "ROI" of a top-tier MBA, if you go into consulting or banking afterwards, you make a solid starting salary ($200k+ w/ bonus) with a nice sign on bonus, and many companies pay for your tuition for your second year if you're a returning summer intern. Money aside, the MBA at an M7 is a fantastic two year vacation with little pressure (grade non-disclosure to employers) and a ton of fun (20/30's classmates, money isn't a huge issue, a ton of partying/traveling)

I took the better "ROI" path of having my company pay for the MBA, but I certainly can't fault someone for taking the FT MBA route w/ a little less financial discipline but a lot more fun. The dollars will come if you're good at your job

Also, agree with everything JBrl has said - he is someone who actually comes from a white shoe firm rather than a bunch of students who have been most vocal in this thread ...
so basically It did nothing for you as you stated. I was actually saying MBA can help you get promotions or if you want to learn generalist skills go for it. But if you are picking MBA for finance vs CFA as a skill like health business admin vs pharmacy for pharmacy skills, you pick pharmacist. I said a lot of people can't leverage the MBA. In that case they pay for your MBA and you still stayed your time studying it. You lost opportunity cost. Well I was just in a discussion about art history and political science that think are bad, but I do every degree is important. Not everyone wants to do MBA, Pharmacy, Law, MD.

Your comment about being a good company is like... I don't even want to go there. Ill just show you data and stats. Feelings lie, data and stats do not

Lets just say like Game of thrones kings are dying like flies, or aka companies right now. You are not guarantee to stay here tm.

Last edited:
OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
You have no idea that this is the school of Shortliffe, Cimino, and Richardson and is the fourth oldest of the NIH-NLM T institutions and that only Octo Barnett's and Homer Warner's laboratories were more influential and productive. All right, blocked.
I think they are on biology datasets and data frames. while Data science is almost everything. Its tailor for healthcare majors and they give speeches on a lot of healthcare tech things. To each their own though, I think the Columbia program saves you time. some people just want more in detail skills, well I learn CFA I do not focus on all the topics, or pharmacy. When I use 10% in reality.

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
Im more disappointed in this thread telling people they can't and can't do. Like study for MBA(did I mention owning a pharmacy or starting a Pharma company?) or JD (get into the broad of pharmacy) this is why I say most people are struck by fear the more they have to lose. Perhaps this isn't the vision list, innovative site I think it was.

When you dilute something awesome, you get not so awesome, same with pharmacy. I don't see people here saying pharmacy is going up. in another thread people insulted art history and political science. When you have degree inflation this is what happens, this isn't 50 years ago where a degree gives you a job or it wasn't so common like pharmd or MBA. with a 350k population with only 33% jobs in full time and real unemployment rate at a higher amount you get hunger games. No longer are we playing by the old rule that you make it to a corporate your life in the industry will last forever. We will work several different jobs in our lifetimes not in pharmacy. And I applaud you for having your MBA

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
I like to say you are the sum of your experience, some of you are old timers, Some are new wave of tech. Here I am where venture capitalist is making more of a scene in MBA, learning my useless things making dual combinations like mark Zuckerberg combination of psychology major and computer science sciences and making something big. Im here to think big. Im around there people all these time, the so call disruptors in the industry and unicorns. While I don't discount your experience in old corporate fashion. I also don't think everyone has to do Tech, I also happen to know other languages and know art and want to get into it again

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
You can know someone, and work with them. But do you truly know them? Do they actually care about you, go out of their way to mentor you or give you advice? Do you know their mindset? The people who don't quit are the ones who make it tomorrow. I'll end it at that.

DIPEA

5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
I think they are on biology datasets and data frames. while Data science is almost everything. Its tailor for healthcare majors and they give speeches on a lot of healthcare tech things. To each their own though, I think the Columbia program saves you time. some people just want more in detail skills, well I learn CFA I do not focus on all the topics, or pharmacy. When I use 10% in reality.
never a fan of programs specifically designed for healthcare. it pretty much just mean low quality tbh. if not,why having a separate program from the hot Columbia data science program,from the school perspective?

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
never a fan of programs specifically designed for healthcare. it pretty much just mean low quality tbh. if not,why having a separate program from the hot Columbia data science program,from the school perspective?
Actually most of the software engineers deal with biology

OP
Lubeckd

Lubeckd

Renaissance man
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
Status
Non-Student
Im trying to build something now but
actually Columbia has a data science course but if you go on reddit they said it is not really run by them

msweph

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist

What's an M7?

Argentium

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
The M7 business schools include:
  • Columbia Business School.
  • Harvard Business School.
  • MIT Sloan School of Management.
  • Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.
  • Stanford Graduate School of Business.
  • University of Chicago's Booth School of Business.
  • Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.