pharmd for something completely unrelated to pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanrevelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone get their pharmD and do something that had nothing to with it? like becoming a car salesman or a strip club owner.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone get their pharmD and do something that had nothing to with it? like becoming a car salesman or a strip club owner.

One person I know became a congressman after working as a pharmacist.

By I know, I mean I've heard of the name and I know what the person looks like.

I know numerous pharmacists that left the profession to go into business. The majority of them were "expected" to take over what their parents built. Some did it just to look good to potential wives (indian thing).

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of them became stay home moms.... totally unrelated to pharmacy.

ya same here. just seems crazy to do all that school and then never use it.

My business partner and I are looking at ventures right now. We are all over the place, but none of them are related to healthcare. He's a M.D. and I'm a Pharm.D./M.Sc. (soon).

I met a woman who got her degree in the late 1950s, and had several jobs over the years which included co-owning a store with her brother, who was also a pharmacist. After he died suddenly, she closed the store and went to work as a secretary at the medical school in this town - with her alma mater right across the street.

AFAIK, she's since retired from that, but still has her pharmacy license.

BTW, I do not consider being a SAHP a waste of education in itself (yes, I have met a couple of SAHDs who were also pharmacists; like most of the SAHMs, they did do relief work).

p.s. The pharmacist who interviewed me last week told me that while he's worked at this particular hospital for almost 30 years, for 6 of them, he did not work in the pharmacy at all. He worked in IT, and then decided to return when an opening came up and the timing was right.

im asking because it looks like pharmds in the very near future will have to be much more creative in their career outlook. :smuggrin:

im asking because it looks like pharmds in the very near future will have to be much more creative in their career outlook. :smuggrin:

I'd love to go into televesion, my ultimate dream would be a host on some show like doctors only "pharmacists" :smuggrin: look pretty while giving people medical advice at the same time. Total win ! :laugh::thumbup:

I want to get creative somehow, because I'm not sure that I enjoy the traditional pharmacy setting much. But still waiting to see what the future brings.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't let my wife see this, she's finishing up her MBA and this is exactly what she wants to do. :(

Don't let my wife see this, she's finishing up her MBA and this is exactly what she wants to do. :(

Do you have children now? If you don't, be warned that she may try it, and hate it. I've known lots of women who did, and went back to work as soon as they could. I have a friend who does not have to work (her husband is a college professor) but when her son was born, she requested a 3-month maternity leave, not telling them that she probably wasn't coming back, and actually came back after 9 weeks because she realized immediately that the SAHM thing was not for her, or her family for that matter, and was going crazy.

And if your wife does do this, be warned that "SAHM" does NOT mean "24 hour live in babysitter." Too many husbands think it does, and it often takes things like divorce papers to make them see the light. :eek:

Do you have children now? If you don't, be warned that she may try it, and hate it. I've known lots of women who did, and went back to work as soon as they could. I have a friend who does not have to work (her husband is a college professor) but when her son was born, she requested a 3-month maternity leave, not telling them that she probably wasn't coming back, and actually came back after 9 weeks because she realized immediately that the SAHM thing was not for her, or her family for that matter, and was going crazy.

And if your wife does do this, be warned that "SAHM" does NOT mean "24 hour live in babysitter." Too many husbands think it does, and it often takes things like divorce papers to make them see the light. :eek:

No, we don't have kids yet. We are planning on waiting until I'm done with school. She's been unemployed for about 2 years now and she's gotten used to it. I'm hoping that once she graduates in May that the job prospects will increase, but the outlook overall here in MI is abysmal and depressing.

The People's Pharmacy columnists aren't practicing pharmacists right?
Then there was the story about the pharmacist who owned car washes?

No, we don't have kids yet. We are planning on waiting until I'm done with school. She's been unemployed for about 2 years now and she's gotten used to it. I'm hoping that once she graduates in May that the job prospects will increase, but the outlook overall here in MI is abysmal and depressing.

My wife did stay home after we had a kid. I literally had to argue with her for weeks before she agreed to go back to work. That was all good, but it took 2 years to finally find a job! She just recently started after a total of 3 years out of the workforce. It didn't help that employers were overlooking her due to the gap on employment...majority of which was because of the economy.

ya same here. just seems crazy to do all that school and then never use it.

I thought all the knowledge we learned in pharmacy school will be very useful when raising a child...like "my kid has a fever and there is no tylenol available! What can i give?"...lol

I thought all the knowledge we learned in pharmacy school will be very useful when raising a child...like "my kid has a fever and there is no tylenol available! What can i give?"...lol

I really want to make a joke about giving aspirin, but I am afraid someone might actually do it.

Then there was the story about the pharmacist who owned car washes?

That was probably me! I once worked with 2 pharmacists who co-owned a self-service car wash, and when I was living there, it was doing quite well. One of them was from a family that owned a chain of them, so he knew what he was doing, and the other was doing this as an investment.

Charles Alderton - inventor the soft drink Dr Pepper

Caleb Bradham - inventor of the soft drink Pepsi-cola

Charles Elmer Hires - inventor of the soft drink Hires Root Beer

John Pemberton -inventor of the soft drink Coca-Cola

James Vernor – inventor of Vernor's Ginger Ale

All were pharmacists.

PharmD = invent soft drinks

I don't think they were pharmds. Rather Soda fountain druggists.

My wife did stay home after we had a kid. I literally had to argue with her for weeks before she agreed to go back to work. That was all good, but it took 2 years to finally find a job! She just recently started after a total of 3 years out of the workforce. It didn't help that employers were overlooking her due to the gap on employment...majority of which was because of the economy.

Jesus, how can anyone like staying at home (I can kind of with a stretch see it if you have a kid but if you don' t) ?

I genuinely hate it, when I wasnt able to find an internship last summer, I did everything I could to get out of the house, worked out like an insane maniac up to 3 hrs per day, trained for a marathon, volunteered, went to a school library to read journal articles and applied, applied, applied. If I face another summer at home with no internship prospect, I will die of restlessness. :(

Charles Alderton - inventor the soft drink Dr Pepper

Caleb Bradham - inventor of the soft drink Pepsi-cola

Charles Elmer Hires - inventor of the soft drink Hires Root Beer

John Pemberton -inventor of the soft drink Coca-Cola

James Vernor – inventor of Vernor’s Ginger Ale

All were pharmacists.

PharmD = invent soft drinks

I think it's time for us graduate from soft drinks and have some PharmDs start up a few good craft breweries.

Jesus, how can anyone like staying at home (I can kind of with a stretch see it if you have a kid but if you don' t) ?

I genuinely hate it, when I wasnt able to find an internship last summer, I did everything I could to get out of the house, worked out like an insane maniac up to 3 hrs per day, trained for a marathon, volunteered, went to a school library to read journal articles and applied, applied, applied. If I face another summer at home with no internship prospect, I will die of restlessness. :(

Staying home does not mean you stay home all the time. So you would rather work Instead of having the freedom to be able to do whatever you want to do Including working out and training for marathon And reading..... Assuming you have the financial means...

I think it's time for us graduate from soft drinks and have some PharmDs start up a few good craft breweries.

Pharmacist buddy of mine is a part owner Is a microbrewery And they distribute nationwide

Pharmacist buddy of mine is a part owner Is a microbrewery And they distribute nationwide

Which brewery?

The brewmaster at Ommegang used to be a faculty member at Purdue...I think he was a medicinal chemist, though.

Well that explains why they're so tasty!

Some brief Googling led me to find a Lost Coast Brewery in California that's co-founded by a pharmacist. I've never tried any of their stuff, but now I'm gonna keep an eye out for it.

Hmm...I work in a yeast lab, and could totally supply the yeast! And there is a guy in the lab next to mine (also a yeast lab) who has his own microbrew. Not a PharmD, though, but we're in the Pharmacology department. Does that count?

I plan to help open up a family restaurant w/ my other brothers. My brother is just an absolute wizard in the kitchen... had plenty of head chef offers only to be screwed over by the owners.

Later last night, I remembered the names of the men who owned the car wash, and Googled them. I don't know if the secondary owner is still in pharmacy (he probably is) but the primary owner is not. He's an investment advisor, and the car wash is still in business. :)

soda, beer.... im starting to see a pattern here.

more ideas please. this is great!

One of my friend got a job to work for CVS (or maybe walgreens) in Vegas, he went to vegas.... but never accepted the job, he's a poker player now lol lives on the strip, plays poker online 20hr/wk, making bank... pretty sweet haha

Asprin is fine for children as long as they don't have fever. Sorry, should have specified.

Regardless, the product shouldn't exist.

Back on topic, says on Wikipedia that our alumni (doesn't say if pharmacy, but probably, since we were mostly pharmacy back then) contributed to the invention of personal lubricants. Instead of all this stupid remarketing they are going through, they should just rebrand themselves to "USP: Home of KY Jelly".

Regardless, the product shouldn't exist.

Back on topic, says on Wikipedia that our alumni (doesn't say if pharmacy, but probably, since we were mostly pharmacy back then) contributed to the invention of personal lubricants. Instead of all this stupid remarketing they are going through, they should just rebrand themselves to "USP: Home of KY Jelly".

Don't you guys have some professor who teaches "pro bono" and helped invent the original Trident gum?

Don't you guys have some professor who teaches "pro bono" and helped invent the original Trident gum?

Not aware of him teaching pro bono, but yes. He told us a story that it was originally a gum with 3 digestive enzymes in it (hence Trident), and he only got a buck off the patent because they decided not to sell the gum, but the name still stuck.

He's not a pharmacist though.

Last edited:
i considered pharmd+MBA -> business. but not traditional rph business, more like management consulting (i'm a sellout) or equity analyst/investment banking (someone's gotta analyze the literature for hot drugs). unfortunately consulting would be terrible for me, as i actually have a soul, and analysts are at the bottom of the totem pole. realistically though, this would only work if i got into a top b-school, and that's not happening :(

One of my friend got a job to work for CVS (or maybe walgreens) in Vegas, he went to vegas.... but never accepted the job, he's a poker player now lol lives on the strip, plays poker online 20hr/wk, making bank... pretty sweet haha

entering/verifying rx's at walgreens vs multitabling online...i know what i'd prefer