PharmD/MBA Job Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAAtexas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or insight regarding job opportunities for graduates with a dual PharmD/MBA degree? What kind of positions are available with this dual degree and what are the benefits of having it?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

An MBA without at least 3 years of full time work experience will get you no respect from most people in the industry. Unless it's from a good school, it's just extra letters. Just my opinion.

Does anyone have any experience or insight regarding job opportunities for graduates with a dual PharmD/MBA degree? What kind of positions are available with this dual degree and what are the benefits of having it?
Depends on whether the MBA includes certification of proficiency in using the search function...

Members don't see this ad :)
My cousin graduated with a PharmD/MBA 3 years ago. She had had not work experience previously. She didn't work during school. When she graduated, she got a job at cvs. She worked for 3 years and got promoted to be a store manager recently. (it only took her 3 years to become a store manager)

My point is that if you have an MBA and don't have work experience, you may not get a manager position right away. But you will get one eventually.

My cousin graduated with a PharmD/MBA 3 years ago. She had had not work experience previously. She didn't work during school. When she graduated, she got a job at cvs. She worked for 3 years and got promoted to be a store manager recently. (it only took her 3 years to become a store manager)

My point is that if you have an MBA and don't have work experience, you may not get a manager position right away. But you will get one eventually.

So...your cousin was promoted from pharmacist to store manager in just three years? :confused:

:corny:

So that's the ultimate goal of the PharmD/MBA combo? Store manager after 3 years of working? I can't yawn hard enough. I had a classmate who is currently the manager of her store after 1 year. No MBA, no previous work experience either. Seriously, getting an MBA just so you can be store manager is laughable. LAUGHABLE.

Getting an MBA without at least 3 years of work experience (management preferred) is a complete waste of money. Also only do it at a reputable university because of the networking.

Ask yourself how valuable is a degree when ANYONE can get it online nowadays?

I agree an MBA is not needed for retail pharmacy management at the store level. My friends who have moved higher than that all have MBAs, though. It also seems to be more valued in managed care, at least in this region. I thought about getting one during school (joint degree) but decided that it would be diminishing returns for me since I already have a masters degree and substantial work experience (non-pharmacy), including several years at the executive level.

As far as where to get the MBA, I think that's regionally dictated. Almost everyone who has an MBA in this area of the country went to one of a few local schools. None of them are ranked. It all depends on where you want to work and what you want to do. My husband's company will pay for his MBA, and they don't care where it's from. :shrug: