PharmD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HDT1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a second year student considering pharmD/MBA degree mainly because I want to make myself look more competitive. Honestly, the reason I am considering this is because I just got myself out of probation and realized how competitive the job market is today. I really need something to help give me an extra boost somehow. I'm currently working as an intern at a hospital, my boss is a great guy who have been very supportive. Overall, would an MBA give me an extra boost to finding a job later or are there better alternatives?

Members don't see this ad.

Completely a waste of time and money unless you already have a few years of work experiences (management is a plus).

Don't waste your money on an online MBA. Ask yourself how valuable is a degree when anyone can get one online?

Hi all, I'm a second year student considering pharmD/MBA degree mainly because I want to make myself look more competitive. Honestly, the reason I am considering this is because I just got myself out of probation and realized how competitive the job market is today. I really need something to help give me an extra boost somehow. I'm currently working as an intern at a hospital, my boss is a great guy who have been very supportive. Overall, would an MBA give me an extra boost to finding a job later or are there better alternatives?
Is it extra tuition or is it included in your elective classes? I'm working on an M.B.A. too and it was essentially free so it does give you a competitive advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with the dean, he told me if I'm enrolled in the MBA program then only the first four classes offered will be free and the rest will be out of pocket. Personally, I feel like it would only give me a small advantage over other students, not sure though. @BMBiology, I have to double check on what you said, from what i've told most classes will be in classroom environment.

No one cares about an MBA unless you already have experiences.

Work as much as you can. Network. You don't need an MBA to do those things.

All of these secondary degrees are just a way for the school to make more money. It is not going to get you anywhere without the necessary experiences.

If you can get an MBA concurrently with your PharmD, I would go for it. Granted, it probably will only give you a minimal advantage, but there probably won't be an easier time in your life to get it. I agree with the above, that on-line MBA's are not worth much.......getting an MBA is about getting networking opportunities, networking opportunities are going to best when you are getting an MBA in a face-to face class (preferably in an area where you plan to work.)

PharmD/MBA combo is absolutely useless. An MBA with zero work experience is like a black belt who has never fought before.

Reactions: 2 users
Two years program only required 8 classes?

In addition to taking on more student loan debt, you also need to look at the opportunity loss. Instead of gaining valuable work experiences and networking, you are spending more time in the classroom.

I am not against doing an MBA but you need to do it the right way. Work a few years and go to a top 20 MBA schools where there are a lot of opportunities to network.

Reactions: 1 user
Two years program only required 8 classes?

In addition to taking on more student loan debt, you also need to look at the opportunity loss. Instead of gaining valuable work experiences and networking, you are spending more time in the classroom.

I am not against doing an MBA but you need to do it the right way. Work a few years and go to a top 20 MBA schools where there are a lot of opportunities to network.

Agree with the experience, but does a PharmD really need to go to a top 20 school?