PharmD Open house

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DieHardRX

will try till accepted
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Question for you guys

I've received an invitation to an open house at UOP. Part of me want to go to check out the school. Part of me don't because it's kinda far away and I'm having full load of school work this semester.

My question is Do school/ committee take ppl. who attend the open house into consideration? I mean does it affect your chance of getting accepted at all?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you live far away, it is perfectly OK not to go. It helps you get the feel for the school, but it is not expected of someone to travel cross-country, for example, to attend one of those. From the recruiter's perspective, you cannot really remember much about the hundred or so people you have talked to in that one day, it all becomes a blur, so if you are a strong candidate, it doesn't hurt your chances not to attend. If you are a weak candidate, though, it is a good idea to attend because it is your chance to impress the professors/assistant deans/dean so hopefully you stand out and they remember you when application review time comes around.

I mean, last winter I spoke to maybe 50 people over 3 days and spent 15 minutes to half an hour with each of them, and two months later I could only remember a handful who really made an impression on me, and even for those cases, the details became blurred.

If you live far away, it is perfectly OK not to go. It helps you get the feel for the school, but it is not expected of someone to travel cross-country, for example, to attend one of those. From the recruiter's perspective, you cannot really remember much about the hundred or so people you have talked to in that one day, it all becomes a blur, so if you are a strong candidate, it doesn't hurt your chances not to attend. If you are a weak candidate, though, it is a good idea to attend because it is your chance to impress the professors/assistant deans/dean so hopefully you stand out and they remember you when application review time comes around.

I mean, last winter I spoke to maybe 50 people over 3 days and spent 15 minutes to half an hour with each of them, and two months later I could only remember a handful who really made an impression on me, and even for those cases, the details became blurred.

actually, when i interviewed at western they asked me y i havent come to their open house. Like the above, i said it was far from where i live and that a rep had already informed me of the program, but i still felt that my interviewers marked me down.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, when i interviewed at western they asked me y i havent come to their open house. Like the above, i said it was far from where i live and that a rep had already informed me of the program, but i still felt that my interviewers marked me down.

Hmm.. I really hope that UOP doesn't mark you down if you don't attend open house.. I live in Hawaii and I can't be flying to Cali for an open house on top of my classes and work schedule. :confused:

I am going to attend this open house thing. I hope I can leave some positive impression to someone there.

Open House is really what you make of it. If you go there and make an impression, it could be a good idea. However, if you just go there and keep a low profile and learn about the school, there's no problem with that either. I am not sure about your particular school, but there are many folks who haven't attended open houses who get accepted.

Thanks guys,

I guess i'm going. Well, it's just one day thingy and who knows I'll might get lucky. Besides, i'd like to attend this school the most. I want to know more about it.

I don't have actual evidence, but my guess would be no. I highly doubt that there's a situation where an adcom deals with two equal-looking candidates and decides on one because of attendance at some open house.

I believe the benefit is for the attending students who will experience the school and thus answer the "Why us?" question during an interview and/or secondary application. FWIW, I didn't attend any open houses. Applying to multiple schools makes going to these open houses inefficient unless you have your #1 choice school that you want to visit.

How do you refuse the invitation? Should I call them?

I really enjoyed the UOP open house last year. The Dean gave a good opening presentation, they go over their curriculum, they spend a lot of time going over the supplemental application and answering questions, and they also explained the financial aid process. I was curious about their dorm setups, so I was glad to get a tour. They also had current pharm students give you tours of the classes and a few labs.

If you've already submitted your supplemental application and you already know about financial aid, you might be bored at the open house. I had to leave early last year, so I missed the faculty and student panels in the afternoon.

I plan on going again this year, but I only live 2 hours away. If travel was an inconvenience, I would probably decline.

I wouldn't go to the open house expecting to mingle with professors and the dean though. The only "casual" time to do this would be during lunch and I don't remember seeing professors hanging around at all. If I remember correctly, the dean gave a quick speech and was in a meeting the rest of the day. You don't really have an opportunity to personally introduce yourself to anyone important, IMO.

So, to answer your question... I don't think it matters if you do or don't attend.

I really enjoyed the UOP open house last year. The Dean gave a good opening presentation, they go over their curriculum, they spend a lot of time going over the supplemental application and answering questions, and they also explained the financial aid process. I was curious about their dorm setups, so I was glad to get a tour. They also had current pharm students give you tours of the classes and a few labs.

If you've already submitted your supplemental application and you already know about financial aid, you might be bored at the open house. I had to leave early last year, so I missed the faculty and student panels in the afternoon.

I plan on going again this year, but I only live 2 hours away. If travel was an inconvenience, I would probably decline.

I wouldn't go to the open house expecting to mingle with professors and the dean though. The only "casual" time to do this would be during lunch and I don't remember seeing professors hanging around at all. If I remember correctly, the dean gave a quick speech and was in a meeting the rest of the day. You don't really have an opportunity to personally introduce yourself to anyone important, IMO.

So, to answer your question... I don't think it matters if you do or don't attend.

I'm just curious, was lunch provided? or it is something you do on your own? I just want to know so I can prepare something.

I went to the UOP open house. You will meet professors but you will not meet anybody on the adcom to make any impression except the head person Veronica Semler, but she doesn't make admission decisions and she will not remember you anyway. If you are going just to do that you are wasting your time. I got the impression that they didn't give a crap if you came or not, in terms of getting admitted. It will not make a difference in getting in at all.

I'm just curious, was lunch provided? or it is something you do on your own? I just want to know so I can prepare something.
Yes, lunch was provided. I believe they had a choice of ham, turkey, or chicken sandwiches in a little to-go box. I think it came with chips or a cookie also. They had sodas and water in ice buckets. It was all free.

abcluck, you don't have to do anything to decline their invitation. But if you accept it, you have to make reservation.

Klemmentine:
thanks for your inputs. Well, my intention is not to impress anyone but mainly to learn more about this school. Like you, I also want to know about their dorm setting. I hope I can ask them questions that i want to know.
The only trouble I have is their open house event is on Saturday, I have to work on Friday. Well, I live in Southern Cali, so it takes me roughly about little over 5 hours drive. Guess I'll leave the house around 5am on Saturday.
If you're going, i'll see you there Klemmentine